SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Testimony ( elizabeth )

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

I was overseas and in Japan when I became a Christian. No books, no Christian bookstores that I could find. Did not even know there were thousands and thousands of Christian books. A friend gave me a Scofield KJV which I read voraciously (not the footnotes) and in my initial Christian walk, looking back, the absence of other books around was the best thing that could've happened to me after getting saved.

2016/6/10 16:45

Re:

I was likewise in a solitary jail cell with a Bible (KJV, not that it matters really, & later got an NIV Life Application Study Bible) when I got born again. Many Books are good. Spurgeon said something like "read many good books, but live in the Bible". The books that point to the scriptures are the good ones. The problem I see is that many many people don't have a real, solid, long foundational basis in the Word of God, & then read tons of the latest books. That's not good. I don't mean that they can't Google scriptures on a subject & cut/paste them to make an argument (eisegesis), but that they don't have a full range, spiritual, linear & contextual overview of scripture & time & experience walking in its truths, having the Lord teach from them in real life lessons, bring them to our remembrance by the Holy Spirit in the moments where they are truly applicable by the Spirit, etc. I PRAISE GOD for that 21 months in the Word often all day and night focused right off the bat. I have had many things benefit my walk since then, but That 21 months was more beneficial than my Bachelors in Biblical Studies I later got in Seminary, & many other things. Also, the experiences of being alone with God during those trials, having my life threatened in there by White Supremicists & Muslims for following Christ & believing the Word, having to rely on God alone to met my needs, etc., were invaluable in my later years of my walk. I never would have asked for it, but it was a gift. There were times alone in a cell, head under my pillow, aching & crying out to God when the fellowship with Jesus was so beautiful, so real, so tangible & so unexplainably supernatural, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Nothing! Meanwhile, if you meet me today, you'd never ever guess that was my pre-Christ background (preacher the other day said he thought I must be a doctor or lawyer or something. Lol 😊), but I am always eager to share what Christ did in me because it glorifies Him. If He can save me (which He did), no one is without hope!

2016/6/11 13:42
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Blaine,

The church needs people who keep nagging at them to remind them of their persecuted brethren elsewhere. In our age of ease we tend to forget that our situation in not the norm for many Believers elsewhere. I am glad you are faithful in this mission.

Recently I acquired the book, "Escape From the Grip" by Judy Wurmbrand - Richard Wurmbrand's daughter-in-law. In reading it I was reminded of many things. The main being that the philosophies that characterized the commies are the same ones we see promoted today by secular society. Very informative, insightful. Then I am reminded what Richard used to say, "if God wants you alive Communist torture cannot kill you." And neither can any kind of persecution if God wants you alive.

Thanks for sharing, Blaine.

God bless.

Sandra

2016/6/12 17:46Profile

Re:

Nagging, like bashing never produced anything positive. I don't ever see Jesus or the apostles nagging.

2016/6/12 18:44

Re: GinnyRose

Sister thank you for your encouragement. I hope I am not nagging these days about the persecuted church as in times past. That is why I opened up the thread, "Of Those Persecuted." It is an attempt to convey their voice in this forum. There is freedom for any to read the thread. Or not to read the thread. But that is where I will speak of our persecuted brothers and sisters.

The quote by Richards Wormbrandt's daughter-in-law is very powerful. Very insightful.

2016/6/12 19:12

Re:

And Bear, just to be clear, I have never viewed your updates on those persecuted as "nagging". Always appreciate them. I'm sure the sister did not mean it that way.

2016/6/12 20:11

Re:

A few days ago as I was reflecting on the law of Christ. I heard the Spirit say that the law Christ is to believe in Him. And to hear Him. By implication this is to obey Him.

This morning the Spirit spoke into my mind and said listen to the spoken word of God. This is all you need to do.

I believe this is the heart of our dear sister's thread. My heart desire is for a testimony as Elizabeth has.

I also heard this morning that I had a shallow mind. This cut me to the quick. I do not know if this is from the spirit or from the enemy.

My prayer is that I would hold to the deep truths of the faith as Jesus reveals them in His word. Where I do not want to be of a shallow mind. But if anything to have the deep Mind of Christ in me.

Simply my thoughts.

2016/6/13 7:25

Re:

"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed."

Blaine,
She said she needed the Holy Spirit and the Bible, while you said we need the "spoken word" only.
In my opinion if we listen to the spoken word only and do not compare it to the bible we can easily be deceived, because we do not always know for sure where that voice comes from. We need to know whether the voice teaches the same gospel that Paul and the apostles taught.

2016/6/13 10:36

Re:

If a voice is telling us that we only need to hear the voice of the Spirit, that does not agree with the Word of God and absolutely can lead to deception. The first thing, Satan attacked in the Garden, was the Word of God.

Psa 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast MAGNIFIED THY WORD ABOVE ALL THY NAME.

2016/6/13 10:49
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I do not mean 'nagging' in a negative way. I meant nagging in the sense where one keeps reminding people when they apparently are not listening - you keep on and don't quit.

Too many people quit warning people of 'whatever' when it becomes apparent nobody is listening. We do not quit even when we believe it is useless....have to wonder about the OT prophets when God told them to warn the people but also informed the prophet that they won't listen. Makes me shake my head. I tell you, to keep on is really an act of faith. Now that is impressive!

Sandra

2016/6/13 11:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy