SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are the Ten Commandments the Moral Guide to the Christian Today?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Are the Ten Commandments the Moral Guide to the Christian Today?

Several years ago I was visiting a pastor in Greenville South Carolina. As I sat in this pasture's home talking with he and his wife the name of a brother came up. The topic turned to his stand on the law and grace. The wife told me that she did not agree with the teaching of this brother. The wife went on to say that it is not enough to listen to the Holy Spirit. But we need an objective standard by which to live by. That objective standard is the law of Moses as it is stated in the book of Exodus 20:8-17.

The Reformed tradition I came out of advocates this view. The believer in Christ is governed by the law of Sinai. Or the believer is bound under the The Ten Commandments.

Would the Forum agree with the sister above? We cannot listen to the Holy Spirit alone. But we need the moral law of Moses to guide us. It is not sufficient merely to listen to Jesus. But the moral law of Moses is a greater revelation and the standard by which we live by. Does the forum agree with this?

Respectfully posted.

2016/6/5 16:10
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Are the Ten Commandments the Moral Guide to the Christian Today?

We need both the Spirit and the Word. I seek the will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions. The same would apply if I leave the result to feeling or impression. If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them.

In Christ,

2016/6/5 16:17Profile
brothagary

Re: Are the Ten Commandments the Moral Guide to the Christian Today?

I think due to the fact that we can be deceived by suducing spirits and the flesh that the writtern moral law ,the ten comadments, as taught by jesus him self and paul ectra , act as an unchanged guiding principle..

Read the leter to timothey,,where paul teaches timothey,the porpus,of the scripture .....

2016/6/5 16:18Profile

Re:

But would your brothers say that we need to go back to Exodus and live by the moral law? In other words it is the moral law alone that is our objective standard by which we live.

In the Reformed Tradition I came out of there are those who advocate this view. It is not the Holy Spirit. But the moral law of God. And that as articulated at Sinai.

2016/6/5 16:42
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Ten Commandments our moral code

Hi brothers and sisters,

We know that the ten commandments are summed up in the two great commandments: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, might, strength AND love thy neighbor as thyself. Love is the fulfillment of the whole law for love will not do harm to one's neighbor. In 1 John the apostle reminds us of the New commandment we have received: that we believe in the Name of the Son of God and Love one another.
"Do unto others as you would have them do to you" The golden rule, the perfect law of liberty.
We also have received the Holy Spirit, if indeed we are believers,and the Spirit writes upon our hearts and minds the Law of Christ.The Holy Spirit will guide us into all truth, according to holiness and all good conscience.

So....I guess I am saying no, the ten commandments are not our rule and guide. Nevertheless, thank God we have the complete scriptures to help us and teach us and guide us. What of those who never heard of the bible or the ten commandments etc. They have the law of God in their conscience and on hearing the gospel and believing, receive the Spirit Who will inwardly guide and convict and convince of the truth.

God bless,

2016/6/6 1:48Profile
brothagary

Re:

Blain are uou asking if we need to keep the 613 Comandments in oreder to stay saved

2016/6/6 4:48Profile
brothagary

Re:

Hi stir it up ,how are you .....

Um whom exacly are you talking about ,those who have no bible ectra ?

2016/6/6 5:15Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Hi all,

Apologies if my replies are slow in coming :) I am at work and check in now and then between clients.

Gary,

I mean people who have never seen or heard of a bible or anyone that can be termed "gentile" or non Jew. The law was given to Israel and was their tutor until Christ came. We are all children of promise, we who have believed the Gospel, and are led by the Spirit.

Blessings!

2016/6/6 6:29Profile
brothagary

Re:

So your being hipothetical brother ,, I thought you may have been able to give some idea on specifics ,
Becasue most people groups if not all who have been evangelised by missionaries and decipled ,were taught the gosple along with the bible .

They were never just led by the spirit , but at very least were trained by others who taught the bible .. This is historic .. Thats why the bible is the best seller

2016/6/7 4:17Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
But would your brothers say that we need to go back to Exodus and live by the moral law? In other words it is the moral law alone that is our objective standard by which we live.

Brother,

It is clear from Scripture that the Holy Spirit leads into a life of godliness and following the ways and commands of God. So rituals and ordinances we do not have to follow, but "moral" commands against sin, the Spirit will lead believers in.

Note below that we are to follow the commands of our Lord Jesus and He summarized the moral law in 2 commandments.

Titus 2:11-12 New International Version (NIV)

11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. 12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,

Matthew 7:24-29 New International Version (NIV)

The Wise and Foolish Builders
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.

2016/6/7 5:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy