SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Christians ordered to keep faith quiet... by the Archbishop of Canterbury

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Christians ordered to keep faith quiet... by the Archbishop of Canterbury

Rev Justin Welby said Christians should wait until hey are asked before they discuss their religious beliefs.

Speaking at a reception for leaders of other faiths, the 105th Archbishop of Canterbury insisted that Christians should not actively “proselytise” towards non-Christians.

When he was asked where he drew the line between evangelism and proselytism, he said: “I draw the line in terms of respect for the other, in starting by listening before you speak; in terms of love that is unconditional and not conditional to one iota, to one single element, on how the person responds to your own declaration of faith; and of not speaking about faith unless you are asked about faith.”

read more: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/672579/Archbishop-of-Canterbury-orders-Christians-keep-faith-quiet

2016/5/27 5:58Profile

Re: Christians ordered to keep faith quiet... by the Archbishop of Canterbury

That was the usual exaggerated British press headline when he actually said this:

Quote:
When he was asked where he drew the line between evangelism and proselytism, he said: “I draw the line in terms of respect for the other, in starting by listening before you speak; in terms of love that is unconditional and not conditional to one iota, to one single element, on how the person responds to your own declaration of faith; and of not speaking about faith unless you are asked about faith.”

Nobody takes any notice of him anyway.

2016/5/27 6:18
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

"I draw the line" vs "show yourself approved unto God, a worker who is not ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth"

"I draw the line" vs "I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins"

"I draw the line" vs "Where the Spirit of thr Lord is, there is liberty"

This paragraph is like a preamble to a contemporary children's book on how to live as a cute, sweet anti-Christ. The title is "Welby Draws A Line".

2016/5/27 8:43Profile

Re:

Quote:
by brenda7 on 2016/5/27 6:18:18

Nobody takes any notice of him anyway.

Thanks for that insight. I'm sure we have the same parallel with high religious leaders in America, too. I just can't think of any.

2016/5/27 8:53

Re:

No one may take any notice of him which I am not sure is entirely true, but what he said very well represents the sad state of Christianity in Britain. Browbeaten into silence, ashamed of the Gospel, not wiling to share one's faith with love as the excuse but fear at the heart of it, not wanting to be ridiculed. The only test in whether we should ever speak or not is the prompting and leading of the Holy Spirit............bro Frank

2016/5/27 9:28
yuehan

Re: Christians ordered to keep faith quiet... by the Archbishop of Canterbury

I'm not a fan of Justin Welby's leadership, and certainly don't agree with the tail-end of his statement here.

But before we slight this man as an unbeliever, I think we can learn something from his background and the way he handled it. This article from the Guardian covers his recent discovery of his biological father, and also alludes to the redemptive power of Jesus among his broken family:

https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2016/8-april/news/uk/welby-speaks-of-redemption-after-revelations-about-his-true-father

He made a very moving statement: "I know that I find who I am in Jesus Christ, not in genetics, and my identity in Him never changes."

That is so true. I pray that he will learn to be unabashed in making known that reality to others.

2016/5/27 9:38Profile

Re:

Hi Yuehan, not sure anyone is slighting this man as an unbeliever, actually I think he is very typical of Christianity in Britain. Seems to me that is is indicative of the sad state of Christendom in Britain when an arch-bishop is praised for saying he finds his identity in Christ..........bro Frank

2016/5/27 10:20
yuehan

Re:

You already know that the Archbishop office has usually been more of a political office. The Anglican church after all is a mish-mash of various groups, which can have almost nothing in common.

Justin Welby comes from the evangelical segment of the Anglican church, but I have observed that Scripture is rarely quoted to defend church doctrine or church positions. If he is already considered to be the most evangelical-friendly archbishop in recent times, that to me is indicative of future trouble for the Anglican denomination.

But I am less cynical of Welby as a person. The language in this thread can be toned down - he is neither out to make antichrists nor to silence Christians, and I appreciate his sharing on being redeemed by Christ from a broken background.

2016/5/27 11:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy