SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Rewind and Repeat

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Have you ever read Adonirum Judson's letter he wrote to ask his future father in law for his wife's hand in marriage? It's pretty amazing (& foreign to our modern way of thinking). You can probably find it online, but it's in the book "To the Golden Shore" I know. And William Carey's wife certainly resented him for answering God's calling to India. She lost her mind, tried to stab him, & died in bitter resentment not long after. And God gave Carey a new wife who loved & supported him & was on board with sacrifice for the sake of Christ & the Gospel. You can read about it or watch the movie "Candle in the Dark." Or look at the heart and writings of both Jim Elliot & his wife, Elizaebeth Elliot. Amazing grace there. Or the ladies who lost their husbands to Islamic murderers a few years back in Turkey who forgave them on public TV & MANY Muslims cited that as an initial catalyst in coming to Christ afterwards. So there's two sides to this issue for sure. Both jobs/responsibilities should be tended to by a husband/father, but I reject the whole "singles should GO & married men stay". And so does scripture & church missionary history.

2016/5/25 15:38

Re:

Of course if a wife opposes God's calling where she could accompany her husband, then she is in the wrong. It is more the father of young children that l have problems with.

Men are just instruments and it is not the person who is important. And just because God was able to use these men does not make it right

The less said about Wesley's marriage the better.

2016/5/25 15:46

Re:

I know men like Adonirum Judson, William Carey, etc. had multiple small children. Some lost children (& wife's) on the field - FYI.

2016/5/25 15:58

Re:

And it doesn't make it wrong either. That's why I posted the scriptures I did

2016/5/25 16:02

Re:

But took them out of context.

2016/5/25 16:08

Re:

Mark 10 (account is also in Luke & Matthew)
23And Jesus xlooked around and said to his disciples, x“How difficult it will be for those who have wealth to enter xthe kingdom of God!” 24And the disciples xwere amazed at his words. But Jesus said to them again, x“Children, xhow difficult it is to enter xthe kingdom of God!25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter xthe kingdom of God.” 26And they were exceedingly astonished, and said to him, “Then who can be saved?” 27Jesus xlooked at them and said, x“With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.” 28Peter began to say to him, “See, xwe have left everything and followed you.” 29Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, xthere is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and xfor the gospel, 30 who will not receive a hundredfold xnow in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, xwith persecutions, and in xthe age to come eternal life. 31 But xmany who are first will be last, and the last first.”

Luke 14
The Cost of Discipleship

25Now great crowds accompanied him, and he turned and said to them, 26 x“If anyone comes to me and xdoes not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, xyes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 27 xWhoever does not xbear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. 28 For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not xfirst sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? 29 Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, 30 saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ 31 Or what king, going out to encounter another king in war, will not xsit down first and deliberate whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32 And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace. 33 xSo therefore, any one of you who xdoes not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.

Salt Without Taste Is Worthless

34 x“Salt is good, xbut if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored?35 It is of no use either for the soil or for the manure pile. It is thrown away. xHe who has ears to hear, let him hear.”

1 Corinthians 7
29This is what I mean, brothers: xthe appointed time has grown very short. From now on, let those who have wives live as though they had none,30and those who mourn as though they were not mourning, and those who rejoice as though they were not rejoicing, and those who buy xas though they had no goods, 31and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For xthe present form of this world is passing away.

Now these (& other passages, as well as the very apostolic witness "martyrias" lives of the apostles themselves, the early church, many of the great missionaries of history, etc.) maybe don't mean as an excuse for ANYTHING & EVERYTHING or rejected the role of father/husband as unto the Lord as well, but they mean something at face value, so we have to reconcile Ephesians 5 which says for husbands to "love your wife & lay down your life for her as Christ did the church" & "if anyone comes after me and does not hate his wife, he cannot be my disciple." That means we should love our families ALOT & lead them as Christ would/did, but not at the priority over God's calling, Christ, & the Gospel too. Balance of truth found in scripture.

2016/5/25 16:15

Re:

Quote:
by jeffmar1130 on 2016/5/25 16:15:49

Mark 10 (account is also in Luke & Matthew)
23And Jesus xlooked around and said to his disciples, x“How difficult it will be for those who have wealth to enter xthe kingdom of God!” 24And the disciples xwere amazed at his words. But Jesus said to them again, x“Children, xhow difficult it is to enter xthe kingdom of God!25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter xthe kingdom of God.” 26And they were exceedingly astonished, and said to him, “Then who can be saved?” 27Jesus xlooked at them and said, x“With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.” 28Peter began to say to him, “See, xwe have left everything and followed you.” 29Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, xthere is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and xfor the gospel, 30 who will not receive a hundredfold xnow in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, xwith persecutions, and in xthe age to come eternal life. 31 But xmany who are first will be last, and the last first.”

Seems a verse was omitted.

Jesus clarified that it is not those who have riches but those who trust in them. I believe this scripture was excluded and it is the key.

Mar 10:24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that TRUST IN RICHES to enter into the kingdom of God!

2016/5/25 17:11

Re:

???

There no verses excluded/omitted. To keep it simple, maybe I should have just copied verses 29 onward. The point being what Jesus said about no one leaving children, houses, lands, family, etc. ...... And I posted other related scriptures as well afterwards. But I didn't omit/exclude any scriptures. I posted everything in order. I didn't post whole chapters or anything, but the totality of the passages I did quote explain my whole point. Jesus expected us not to not value or minister to our family, but that He & His Gospel were to be in an unhindered FIRST priority to EVERYTHING, yes, even mother, father, brother, sister, wife, children, etc. The great missionaries of old knew this (as did the apostles themselves), as does the whole sum counsel of God's Word bear this out.

2016/5/25 19:56

Re:

I just cut and pasted from the ESV. Maybe you're looking at a KJV or NIV? I don't know. I do know ESV is an essentially literal translation, being a "Word for Word" translation, not a "thought for thought" translation, which is my personal preference. Either way, verse 29 onward is "related" to the previous verses, but also in there does Jesus expand what He is discussing beyond riches alone.

2016/5/25 20:00

Re:

Yes, I now see where the ESV actually omitted the verse.

2016/5/25 20:52

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy