SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : HOW does a Christian NOT sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
AlmostHome

U.S.A.

Re:

ZSUZSANNA SAID: by Tozsu on 2016/5/19 22:53:21

Keith Daniel said this in one of his sermons:
This book will keep you from sin, and sin will keep you from this book. SOAK YOURSELF IN THE BIBLE...

-----------

Golly that sure is true! I think that's my favorite quote from Keith Daniel.

Even though this may not initially sound like "practical application," it really is. When we saturate ourselves in the Word, the Holy Spirit uses it to do many works in us, changing us more into the likeness of Jesus. When that happens, our desire to sin decreases as the ability to not sin increases.

John 3:30, "He must increase, but I must decrease." (Just like you illustrated in your previous post, Zsuzsanna!)

2016/5/20 0:26Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I just wanted to clarify my post- when I answered the question "how can a person not sin" by saying we must die- I didn't mean dying to self- I meant dying like when your body gets put in the ground. That is the only sure way to not sin.

Of course we aren't supposed to be sinning while our hearts are beating. That's where dying to self and all that stuff comes in.

But I still really think that we sin because we are a bunch of wimps. We allow the devil to push us in the chest like a bully saying "what are you gonna do about it, punk?" and far too often we say "nothing I guess."

2016/5/20 7:32Profile

Re: TMK

YOU ARE DEAD!

The real issue is you may still see yourself as somehow separated from Christ. Yes you do believe that Christ lives inside you but you think you are independent of Him.

AS a result you try to apply Christ to your independent self by the means of grace.

THIS WILL NEVER WORK!

There is no such thing as an independent self. Before you embraced Christ you were servant and slave of sin and the devil but now you HAVE BEEN MADE a servant and slave of RIGHTEOUSNESS.

There is no 3rd option available.

So the old you that was servant and slave of sin was crucified and buried with Christ. When Christ arose from the dead - the new you was raised with HIM - with HIS LIFE.

Now the truth is that you are not separated from Christ. You just do not have Christ but Christ Himself is NOW you!!!!

You have died and Christ Himself is your life. This was an exchange of lives - not a change. Your old life was taken away in death and buried. Then Christ gave you His life in the place of your old life.

Before you where just an container of sin and the devil's life - now you are a container of Christ's life.

A container only contains the life of another it has NO life in it self or any ability to apply anything to itself.

Here is the real truth - you are not separated from Christ - you are a container of HIS LIFE.

Christ has united Himself to you - you are NOW one with HIM!

CHRIST HIMSELF IS NOW THE REAL YOU! IT IS HIS LIFE expressing it self in your body (container)

Gal 2:20. "I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."

Here is the key "I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" YET NOT I - BUT CHRIST who is now me!

2016/5/20 9:10
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Tuc- I get your gist but you are taking it way too far.

Cause and Effect

There are many “cause and effect” passages in scripture. Here are several:

• “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord[cause] will be saved [effect].” Acts 2:21
• “Come near to God[cause] and He will come near to you[effect]” James 4:8
• “Any of you who does not give up everything he has[cause] cannot be my disciple[effect]. Lk. 14:33
• “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed[cause], you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you[effect].” Lk. 17:6
• “I have hidden your word in my heart[cause] that I might not sin against you[effect]. Ps. 119:11

Similarly, Prov. 3:9-10 contains a cause and effect: Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops[cause]; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine[effect].

In all of these examples, what we do is the cause; what God does is the effect. Why did God “set things up” this way? A primary reason is that He wants to relate to us; He wants to partner with us in His enterprises. God can do anything He wants, but He chooses to use us. What a privilege, and what a responsibility! If we refuse to be the “cause,” then we limit how God can “effect” His blessings on us. Not only that, but we limit our worth in God’s Kingdom.

2016/5/20 9:46Profile

Re: We are earthern vessels - containers

2 Cor 4:6-7, "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

1 John 4:16-17, "And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world."

because as he is, so are we in this world.

Added this

Col. 3:3-4, "For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

When Christ, who is our life

2016/5/20 10:00

Re:

John 15:10
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Tuc, I agree with you, I would conclude that if we abide in Christ we will bear fruit. But what would be your practical advice: How to abide? I say that we abide by obedience, and here I agree with TMK.

2016/5/20 11:23

Re: Tozso

Sister not trying to be funny. How do we abide in Christ by obedience?

One aspect may be that we abide or walk in faith in Jesus. For Paul mentions in Romans 1:5 the obedience that comes from faith.

Just a thought for reflection.

2016/5/20 11:39
yuehan

Re:

lol, maybe bearmaster could've added a caveat:

"with testimonies appended please!"

2016/5/20 11:48Profile

Re:

Quote:
by Tozsu on 2016/5/20 11:23:01

John 15:10
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Tuc, I agree with you, I would conclude that if we abide in Christ we will bear fruit. But what would be your practical advice: How to abide? I say that we abide by obedience, and here I agree with TMK.

Amen. Tozsu.

Not a new concept:

Deu_30:20 That thou mayest LOVE THE LORD THY GOD, AND that thou mayest OBEY HIS VOICE, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

1st - God must be your Father in order for you to Love Jesus.
John 8:42 "Jesus said unto them, IF GOD WERE YOUR FATHER, YE WOULD LOVE ME..."

2nd - When you receive Christ, His love is "shed abroad in your heart". You are given a new heart, the heart and spirit of Jesus/Holy Spirit.

Rom 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because THE LOVE OF GOD IS SHED ABROAD IN OUR HEARTS" by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

3rd - You are now able to please God (love and obey) because you are IN CHRIST and can now WALK IN THE SPIRIT. You have been given everything (Jesus) that pertains to "life and godliness". (2 Peter 1:3)

Rom_8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

4th - You now desire to please God (love Him) by obeying His voice. As long as you are in this world, living in the flesh, your love (heart) will be tested.

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, AND KEEPETH THEM, HE IT IS THAT LOVETH ME, and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Jesus will manifest Himself to those who love Him.

John 14:21 "...and keepeth them...I will love him, and will manifest myself to him."

The Spirit and the Word give us understanding for how to walk in love in all circumstances, (even on forums).

1Th 4:1 Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us HOW YE OUGHT TO WALK AND TO PLEASE GOD, so ye would abound more and more.

God will save those who obey (love) Him.

Heb 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation UNTO ALL THEM THAT OBEY HIM;

God does not have any foster children. His children are HIS, born of His Spirit and they all love Him.

John 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me:

2016/5/20 11:57

Re:

Quote:
by bearmaster on 2016/5/20 11:39:04

Sister not trying to be funny. How do we abide in Christ by obedience?

One aspect may be that we abide or walk in faith in Jesus. For Paul mentions in Romans 1:5 the obedience that comes from faith.

Just a thought for reflection.

By obeying the Spirit and the Word to you, personally. How? By making a choice to walk in the Spirit and not the flesh.

2016/5/20 12:00

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy