SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A personal visit from a personal Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re:

First just a quick reply to the following:
Quote (Blain):Then Mark what about the appearing of Jesus to Muslims in dreams and visions that are resulting in their conversions. Do you attach any credibility to these reports?
As I mentioned we have to look at it carefully. A dream is not quite the same as a vision and Garret's "testimony" on
youtube is different again. I believe Garret's story is a counterfeit, but won't go into more details.

The reports from the Muslims and Jews?
I can't comment on those. What matters is the fruit. Where are they in a few years time ? Are they finishing the race ?
We can't just look at numbers. God deals with individual souls. There might be "Isaacs " but also "Ishmaels " amongst them. We know that "the Lord knows those who are His "

Richard Wurmbrandt said in one of his sermons that he has seen "extra-ordinary " things in extra- ordinary circumstances.We know a lot about this believer and so I trust 100% what he said.

Quote: (Julius ):"The book of Acts is the normal Christian life in my opinion."
Greg also mentioned the books of Acts.
Yes but we have to read the whole book, find a balance and not over emphasise passages or leave stuff out.
We can look again at 2:42 that we all know and compare this simplicity we our congregations.
Then we can look at the messages and compare them:
Acts 2:37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and asked Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” 38Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.…
We also know that soon afterwards Stephen was stoned.

The more we surrender to the Lord the more we will experience Him

2016/5/20 19:09
AlmostHome

U.S.A.

Re:

I don't want to come across as though I'm negating the fruitfulness of discussions like this. But, I AM a bottom line kind of guy.

Hebrews 13:8, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."

I believe God can, and does, give SOME people dreams, visions and personal experiences. He's done it before and the scriptures say He continues to do so. So, that's established. They're possible.

WHEN and WHY did God give people dreams, visions and personal experiences? God is not willy-nilly. It seems to me, that they were given to people in dire circumstances or to those without the scriptures. That seems to be the prevalent reasons. Still, God is sovereign and that can't be dismissed. But, consistent to Hebrews 13:8, they're given to those in dire circumstances and/or without the scriptures.

Now, how are these proclaimed experiences being interpreted? If they're not consistent with the scriptures, they should be dismissed because the scriptures are complete in and of themselves.

Is Jesus the focus? He should be. Is the experience directing others to look to Jesus and is He receiving the glory? He better be. If not, they should be dismissed. They should NEVER carry more weight than God's Word does.

And the meaning of them should also be clear. The example we have in the scriptures shows us that God doesn't leave the meanings of dreams and visions a mystery, or open for personal interpretation.

Then, in as much as we can tell (especially because we are over-run with thousands of these "experiences" online), what is the fruit of the person proclaiming their experience? Like Markus already said, this is important to look at, too.

I'm of the opinion (which means absolutely nothing) that most of them are false, deceptive and/or attention seeking. I say this because I've weighed M.A.N.Y. of them. I do NOT believe that God is giving individuals "revelations" or "a new word" to spread to everyone else and "make it viral."

Especially when it comes to YouTube videos, I check to see if their channels are monetized. If a self-professed Christian monetizes their videos, or sells merchandise, I avoid them. God, His Word, His blessings, His teachings, etc., are NOT for sale or profit. (Matthew 10:8)

I don't know who Garrett is and, forgive me if this is too blunt or wrong, I don't care. If God wants me to know something, the Holy Spirit is more than capable of doing it. I don't put my trust in ANY person. When I hear dreams and visions and heaven visits and personal experiences, I take them with a grain of salt, pray about them, and move on, trusting the Holy Spirit to confirm, or bear witness in me, if there's any merit to them.

So, to come full circle, as a bottom line kind of guy: I don't see the merit in debating if someone's experience is legitimate or not. That's not to say it can't be discussed, but debated? What's the point?

BOTTOM LINE: What does the Bible already say? Are you looking at the person's experience through the lens of the scriptures or your own feelings and opinions? Did you pray about it, using wisdom and discernment?

2016/5/20 20:09Profile

Re:

God also gives dreams and visions to show us His will and give us direction.

Act 9:10 And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord.

Act 9:12 And hath seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight.

Act 10:3 He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius.

Act 11:5 I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me:

Act 16:9 And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.

Act 18:9 Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:

Act 26:19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:

2016/5/20 22:33
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

"""I believe God can, and does, give SOME people dreams, visions and personal experiences. He's done it before and the scriptures say He continues to do so. So, that's established. They're possible."""

Why are dreams so hard to forget, when they are horrible? Why and where do dreams cum from, self, subconscious, God, Satan, etc.?

How can we get rid of the bad ones and keep the good ones?

In Christ: Phillip

2016/5/21 20:52Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I know that the enemy can influence/cause dreams. This has happened to my wife a couple of times and there was no doubt why it happened and who caused it. Thank goodness it has not happened to me. Probably because my wife is a bigger threat than me.

I have had two dreams that I knew were from the Lord without doubt.

2016/5/21 23:00Profile

Re:

Quote:
by Christinyou on 2016/5/21 20:52:30

Why are dreams so hard to forget, when they are horrible? Why and where do dreams cum from, self, subconscious, God, Satan, etc.?

How can we get rid of the bad ones and keep the good ones?

Philip, the Lord is able to cleanse our mind and hearts by His Spirit and His Word.

Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Zec 13:1 In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.

2016/5/21 23:41

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy