Louisiana

Re:

Thank you Travis!

Very good teaching on the subject!

2016/5/17 18:10Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Don't forbid speaking in tongues

I don't care if anybody wants to say there is only "one" type of tongue. :) If it makes sense to you that way, then that is ok!

Not to argue but I have never heard of anyone explain the 4 types of tongues before and I could be wrong but that doesn't mean it is unscriptural, I do not believe so because...

The Word of God clearly teaches, "Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant... There are:
1. diversities of gifts (1 Cor 12.4)
2. differences of administrations (1 Cor 12.5)
3. diversities of operations (1 Cor 12.6)
4. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal(1 Cor 12.7)

The Holy Spirit is not some part of Christ that sits in the corner that we shouldn't pay attention to, He is an active part of the Godhead and is in every single gift of the Spirit!

I'm not trying to place emphasis on the "gift of tongues" but on HOW the Holy Spirit uses the gift. I've personally experienced the 4 types of tongues in my life that John Bevere is explaining and thought others might too! That's why I started this thread. And you haven't experienced it that way, then that is cool.

2016/5/18 4:05Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by twayneb
I am not sure that there has been an over-emphasis on tongues, but I do think there has often been a wrong emphasis and even an odd or flaky emphasis in many cases. Many have focused on the manifestation to the exclusion of the purpose of the manifestation. It is much like focusing entirely upon saws and forgetting that there is wood to be cut.

I am in agreement brother! Well said.

2016/5/18 4:07Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by AbideinHim
I believe exactly like John Bevere taught that a person can be filled with the Spirit and not speak in tongues. But I also believe that anyone that is baptized in the Holy Spirit has the ability to pray in the Spirit if he or she yields themselves to the Holy Spirit and desires to have their personal prayer language manifested.

Well said also brother!

I didn't hear John Bevere condemning people who didn't speak in tongues or saying callously that they didn't have enough faith, I heard encouragement as if to say, "You've got your ankles or knees wet, now come further into the river, there is more!"

I also heard hope for people who have prayed (sometimes for years) and haven't received the gift of tongues yet... to not give up!

God bless brother!
Lisa

2016/5/18 4:13Profile

Re:

Lisa wrote:

Quote:
I didn't hear John Bevere condemning people who didn't speak in tongues or saying callously that they didn't have enough faith, I heard encouragement as if to say, "You've got your ankles or knees wet, now come further into the river, THERE IS MORE!"

my emphasis.

Some of the greatest preachers and evangelists in history, who have led thousands upon thousands to the Lord, and revived many sleeping believers, like John Wesley, Finney, Fox, Campbell and all preachers from the traditional holiness movement (not the later Pentecostals) and Keswick movement did not teach tongues nor speak in them. I think they went further into the river than many and it is an insult to say they could have done better.

This is not to start a debate over tongues, I have no interest in that. Just wanted to put the record straight.

2016/5/18 6:36

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy