SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Acts 8: Holy Spirit and Philip?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
abide2

Acts 8: Holy Spirit and Philip?

I've been puzzling over Acts 8 tonight and thought to ask for insight here. In Acts 8, Philip preached the Word, baptized in Jesus name, healed, cast out demons, etc.

Why did John and Peter have to walk 40 miles to Samaria to lay hands on the Samaritans to be baptized in the Holy Spirit? Why couldn't Philip have done that himself as one of the hand picked apostles of Jesus (Mt 10:2) who partook in Pentecost himself (Acts 1:13)?

Thanks, bless you.

2016/5/10 20:50Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re: Acts 8: Holy Spirit and Philip?

Philip in Acts 8 is not the same one as the apostle Philip. He is one of the seven deacons chosen in Acts 6. He is also the one described as an evangelist later in Acts. What that may have to do with your question is debatable but it is a different Philip.

BTW, welcome to the SI boards.

2016/5/10 21:13Profile
abide2

Re:

Thank you Tim! That brought forth quite an eye opening study this morning! I'd not realized before there were 2 Philips! I love when The Lord shows new things to His kids 😃

Does anyone know why Philip couldn't lay hands on others to receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?
Were all baptisms of the Spirit at that time only in the presence of the Apostles?
Was Paul baptized in the Spirit when Ananias prayed and laid hands on him, then water baptized (Acts 9:17-19)?

Thanks so much.

2016/5/11 10:46Profile

Re:

Any child of God can lay hands on a believer to receive the baptism of the Holy Ghost.

Notice that Simon was chastised for thinking He could buy the gift of God. The apostles did not correct him and say "only we can do this", for they knew that the Holy Spirit is the baptizer and not them.

Acts 8:17-22
Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God. Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

Every child of God has the indwelling CHRIST, and thus it is the authority of Christ that heals the sick, casts out demons and baptises in the Spirit.

And every child of God is commanded to extend the authority of Christ on earth.

Matthew 28:18-20
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The Father, speaking of His Son, "the Rod of thy strength"

Psalms 110:2
The Lord shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies.

We have the victory and the authority of Christ to extend His rule on earth through the preaching of the Gospel and the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

The Lord is ruling thru His Body and His kingdom is extended everytime someone is rescued from hell or an individual Christian gains more victories (spiritual land) in their life. The inhabitants we drive out of the land are not men anymore and our victories and the "land" are spiritual.

Deuteronomy 1:21
Behold, the Lord thy God hath set the land before thee: go up and possess it, as the Lord God of thy fathers hath said unto thee; fear not, neither be discouraged.

Numbers 33:53
And ye shall dispossess the inhabitants of the land (powers of darkness, today) and dwell therein: for I have given you the land to possess it.

2016/5/11 12:44
rufnrust

Indiana

Re: Acts 8: Holy Spirit and Philip?

Great question! Phillip probably could have since he was already demonstrating the power of God's kingdom.

As I was looking at this again, I noticed that some were scattering because of persecution, but it looks like the apostles had not gone anywhere. Then they heard what was going on and decided to check it out in person perhaps to confirm and encourage the church there.

And by going they were starting to go in to all the world...etc.

When they got there, they brought some of the Holy Spirit gracing that they were walking in. It didn't take away from Phillip. It just added! Woohoo!

Russell

2016/5/11 14:51Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy