SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Attack on south Fla synagogue thwarted

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

Attack on south Fla synagogue thwarted

FBI THWARTS PLOT AGAINST PROMINENT SOUTH FLORIDA JEWISH CENTER

Published May 02, 2016·
FoxNews.com

A man's planned explosive attack on a South Florida Jewish center was thwarted by the FBI through an undercover operation involving a dummy bomb, authorities said Monday.

James Medina is accused of trying to blow up the Aventura Turnberry Jewish Center during Passover services. Officials portrayed Medina as being anti-Semitic.

"MEDINA explained that if he would conduct an attack he would want to do it at a synagogue because Jewish people are the ones causing the world's war and conflicts," the complaint against Medina said.

A 17-page FBI affidavit unsealed Monday includes numerous comments allegedly made by Medina about his plan, which initially envisioned use of AK-47-style weapons to shoot up the Jewish center. Several of these conversations were recorded by an informant identified only as a "confidential human source" in the document.

According to the FBI, Medina wanted to create a leaflet to be left at the scene in which he would claim the attack was traced to the Islamic State terror group. There's no evidence the group was actually linked to Medina, but he told the informant that leaflet would "make it look like it's ISIS here in America. Just like that."

The plot, Medina said in one conversation, would be to "strike back at the Jews, by going to a synagogue and just spraying everybody ... It's a war man and it's, like, it's time to strike back here in America." Later, Medina called the plan "my call of duty."

"When I'm doing this, I feel that I'm doing it for a good cause for Allah," he is quoted as saying.

Another undercover FBI employee several times asked Medina whether he really wanted to go through with the plot, which might include killing women and children.

"I'm up for it. I really am. This is no joke. This is serious, dog," Medina said on an FBI recording.

He allegedly discussed planting a bomb as close to the door of the synagogue as possible or leave it in a bathroom.

"I mean though, whatever, whatever it is, it's just gonna go off," Medina reportedly said. "I wanna see damage happen to their ass."

Medina allegedly said he wanted to go through with the plot because he has "a lot of love for Allah."

Medina reportedly believed the Jewish holiday he would be disrupting was Yom Kippur and said he wanted to "let them realize that their Yom Kippur's going down."

Medina is being held at the Federal Detention Center in Miami and is slated to appear in court Monday afternoon to be charged with a weapons of mass destruction offense.

“The leadership of our congregation has been briefed by law enforcement and Jewish community security officials about this situation,” the synagogue said in a statement on its Facebook page attributed to Rabbi Jonathan Berkun and Executive Director Elliot Karp. “They assured us that the synagogue and school were never at risk at any time during the investigation and arrest, and that there are no credible threats directed against us at the present time.”

Aventura is a 30-minute drive north of Miami.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

2016/5/3 7:31Profile
Theophila

Re: Attack on south Fla synagogue thwarted

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for saving the lives in this synagogue. Thank you for leading the authorities in the right direction.
Oh Lord, now please save them unto eternal life, that Your name may be glorified in them.
Amen.

2016/5/3 11:48Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: an undercover operation involving a dummy bomb.

Quote: Another undercover FBI employee several times asked Medina whether he really wanted to go through with the plot, which might include killing women and children.

Reality check - the lives of the people in the synagogue were never under threat; this is a sting operation were some guidable man (probably mentally ill) and has been cajoled by the FBI into agreeing to blow up a synagogue, and to ensnare this foolish man (probably mentally ill) the FBI operative asks him if he really wants to go through with it.

2016/5/3 12:59Profile
docs

Re: A coming trend

/Reality check - the lives of the people in the synagogue were never under threat;/

Likely because the FBI caught onto the man and his plans before they were carried out.

Jews being attacked in the urban centers of the world is going to be a growing trend in my opinion even here in America in the not so distant future. I would like to be wrong but am not so sure I am.

2016/5/3 13:34Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Hi Docs

Here is a report from Human Rights Watch which highlights what is going on..

https://www.hrw.org/news/2014/07/22/fbis-phony-war-terror

2016/5/4 8:23Profile
docs

Re: Wait and see I guess

Those Human Rights Watch people like those in the link don't always get my instant trust just because they say something. Yet they may be right to a degree, I just don't know. But when one of these terrorists does succeed, which seems inevitable, then the cry will likely go up instatntly that the FBI wasn't doing enough to stop these attacks. Hoping I am wrong, I still believe that Jewish people and institutions are going to start being attacked in the urban centers of the world before very long. That doesn't make me a prophet, it's just that the world's oldest hatred is on the upswing again largely manifested through Islamic devotees.

2016/5/4 8:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy