SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Christian Boycotts

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

edit:

I think it is wise to boycott something where there may be danger for your yourself or children, but if we were to boycott everything that is not of God, we would not be paying taxes or shopping at most places. No one would have a credit card, use PayPal, Ebay, own stocks, bonds, or do business with banks. And this is just scratching the surface.

Just as the mark of the beast is spiritual and not physical, so is the mark of Christ. Would anyone say the "mark of Christ" is physical? Is 2 Tim 2:19 speaking of a physical seal?

2Tim 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Do you think this is referring to a physical looking seal?
Rev 9:4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.

One is known as a Christian not by physical, outward marks, but by the fruit of the Spirit and their loyalty to Jesus. Christians display the character of the One who indwells them. Just the same, one is known as a non-Christian by the "works of the flesh" and what "spirit" they are of and their loyalty to the "beast" (world system and religions of this world). Unbelievers display the character of their father, too (Eph 2:2).

We are instructed to try the spirits, not look for physical marks.

1Jn_4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

How many Christians do you know that have Social Security numbers (can't buy and sell without one), credit cards, birth certificates, marriage certificates, driver's license (can't drive without one)?

Do having these things that you need to buy and sell, mean that you are not a Christian?

2016/4/28 13:57
Fatherschild

Ontario

Re:

I agree Jasmine that this new ‘policy’ provides great opportunity for predators to have easier access to victimize children and vulnerable women, so yes stay away!

Beyond that, I agree with Jeff that supporting the ‘perversion‘ is hard earned dollars down the proverbial toilet (pun intended), and Julius I believe you are correct about the need to find balance in this area per the OP.

I guess in my first post I got a little side tracked and shifted from the discussion about 'boycotting' to plucking a few LGBT from the fire. Sorry for the distraction, and yet do pray for those poor lost souls.

2016/4/28 14:28Profile

Re:

I think you are over thinking it Julias. No one would willingly put their children in a dangerous situation. I have a special needs young man and I still go into the public bathrooms with him. Should I not just rely on God to keep him safe? I think that would be a silly argument, I am tasked with keeping him safe as are all parents for their children. If a specific business is actually going to invite any man into the ladies bathroom, then it would be wise to simply avoid that business. As it is right now, any man in a womans bathroom in Target, when challenged, merely needs to reply that he self identifies himself as a woman. This is an invitation to predators and has nothing to do with the 0.3% of Americans who identify themselves as a transgender. The lunatics are actually taking over the asylum. In this case the asylum is the secular state. We are going to have to be prepared for living in times no one has ever experienced before..........bro Frank

2016/4/28 14:30
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Boycotts fail when the cause supported lacks consensus support. There are not enough Christians in America to boycott Target 100% and have enough impact to make them change their policy to "only go to the restroom that matches what the Lord gave you". They would double down on this and have glass walls on all the stalls, such is the delusion among us now. Everybody in America except the LGBT and their supporters would have to quit Target to close them involuntarily, IMO.

Boycotts also fail when the cause supported lacks media support. Media are the surrogate for actual thought. That is why they tell us what to think, and are quite open about that fact. America does not think. We do as we are told by media of all kinds and all perspectives. The media tells us LGBT is normal. So, we actually think, to a large enough degree, that Target is not wrong and besides who cares? You can't boycott successfully if the media is not in charge any more than you can be a party nominee for president if the powers that be are not picking you. We only think we are free. We are slaves, albeit unwittingly for the most part.

So, boycott if you like. Sooner or later, you will probably shop there again. We all pretty much lay down our arms eventually when it comes at the cost of laying down our money for something we want. Or, if you don't and you stick to your principles, wave at the folks swarming into the Target as you pass.

2016/4/28 14:46Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I appreciate all the responses, but no one has addressed the scripture in the OP.

Does a boycott heap burning coals on the heads of the LGBTs (per the actual meaning of that phrase) or is it just making a monetary stab at Target? In other words, what effect does the boycott have on LGBTs?

Target is a soulless corporation.

Let's think about an analogous scenario. Let's say there is a business in town, let's say a bakery, run by an openly gay couple. Would it have more of an effect from Gods perspective for Christians to 1) boycott their business to express their disdain for the couple's sin, or rather 2) lavishly patronize their bakery? Who is more likely to influence the couple for the Kingdom- the boycotters or the lavishers?

2016/4/28 15:02Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Why does it surprise us when an unsaved, unregenerate people act like unsaved, unregenerate people?
I mean honestly what did we think they were gonna do?

And now we (the body of Christ) are going to follow suit by boycotting their spiritual illiteracy!!??? Isn't that what the "world" would do....?

But we are not of this world,... Nope this place is not our home so why are we trying to get comfortable here?

Did Jesus or Paul or Peter or John boycott Herod, Festus, or Cesar.... Or did they concern themselves with the cause of Christ, namely the kingdom of God and live in such a way that the love of God and the truth of Christ was daily manifest in their lives so as to bring a living hope to a lost and dying world?

Is that what we're doing in our spare time when we're not busy boycotting some new offense or devouring our brothers and sisters that see things a lil dif?

The ship is sinking and we argue over bathrooms.... seriously!?

Now the words of Jesus make more sense than ever... "When the Son of man returns, will He find any faith upon the earth?"

I thought we were to be the lights of this world and as it gets darker and darker we'd shine brighter and brighter, not begin to flicker and sputter out-

Where is the love of God shed abroad in our hearts?

2016/4/28 15:07Profile

Re:

JFW, dolfan, TMK - agree with you.

Of course, no parent would knowingly put their children in a dangerous situation.

2016/4/28 15:20
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

TMK, sorry to not address your question. We get off track around here so easily! :)

It can be more effective to lavish love on our enemies than to curse them. We're not told to love them based on how effective it is. And, love is sometimes not lavished -- sometimes it is tougher and truth-telling.

People work at Target. Target is a soulless corporation, indeed. The instruction to love our enemy in Romans 12 is applied by Paul in Romans 13 to government. People work the jobs of government. We pay to them the debt of love we owe to Jesus.

That is probably not often going to be expressed in a boycott. On the other hand, there may be other duties that rightly alter or even halt something recognizable as "love" for an enemy (i.e., predatory behavior against a child would require something way more coercive than a boycott and not generally seen as a loving hand even if it truly is).

As Americans, we treasure the power of a collective voice. It is all wrapped up in this whole democracy razzmatazz. As Christians, we DEEPLY let our American thought inform our Christian heart. It seldom (IMO!) produces anything worth doing or giving much thought to.

2016/4/28 15:35Profile
AlmostHome

U.S.A.

Re: Christian Boycotts

The questions asked are valid, thoughtful ones. Timely for me because, for the first time ever, I signed this very (or any) online petition/boycott just yesterday.

I've never been one to "get involved" with anything online. I've never put my personal information out there for any reason because I've never trusted the internet. Not even in the beginning. (Identity theft, data mining, big brother, etc.,)

Due to very recent, ongoing battles and changes in my life, I put myself out there for the first time with this boycott.

The original post has me thinking about this from a new angle now. I don't regret signing the boycott but I want more than ever to make sure I'm not doing anything out of my own ways or thinking, especially at this point in biblical history and where the Holy Spirit has me in life.

I don't know the answer to this. I don't believe Christians need to be the world's doormat, but I do want to be obedient to the scriptures, regardless of the cost or how I feel about it. What I get out of this thread, more than anything, is the reminder of how important it is to pray and seek God's will for me in all things; and to not forget to examine my attitude and motives.

2016/4/28 16:07Profile
Jasmine

Re:

@TMK

In the example you provided how do you distinguish between showing love by "lavishly patronizing" their business and not cosigning their lifestyle? What message would you be sending and how would the gay couple know the difference? Has this worked for you in the past?

2016/4/28 17:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy