Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Sadhu Sundhar Singh on Prayer

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!
 Sadhu Sundhar Singh on Prayer

"When we see a crane or heron standing motionless on the shore of a lake or pond, we might think it is meditating on the beauty of the water. But this is not so! The bird stands there for hours without moving, but as soon as it sees a frog or small fish, it darts forward and greedily snatches it. Many people have the same approach to prayer and meditation. Seated on the shore of the boundless ocean of God's love, they actually give no thought to his majesty or to the divine grace that cleanses us from sin and satisfies the hungry soul.

Instead, they are consumed by the thought of receiving something for themselves, some morsel to gratify their self-indulgence. Having visited the very source of true peace and bliss, they fail to appreciate it and instead give themselves to fleeting pleasures. The essence of prayer does not consist in asking for things, but in opening one 's heart to God. Prayer is continual abandonment to God. It is the desire for God himself, the giver of life. Prayer is communion with God, receiving him who is the giver of all good gifts, living a life of fellowship with him. It is breathing and living in God.

A little child will run to his mother exclaiming: "Mother! Mother!" The child does not necessarily want anything in particular. He only wants to be near his mother, to sit on her lap, or to follow her about the house. The child longs for the sheer pleasure of being near her, talking to her, hearing her voice. This is what makes him happy. It is just the same with those who are truly God's children. They do not trouble themselves with asking for spiritual blessings. They only want to sit at the Master's feet, to be in living touch with him; then they are supremely content.

Climate affects the form, color, and growth patterns of plants and flowers. In the jungle we often see insects that have taken on the form and color of the grass and green leaves on which they feed. In the snow of the North, the polar bear's fur has the same snowy whiteness. The Bengal tiger wears stripes on its skin like the reeds where it lives. Our spiritual environment similarly affects us. If we remain in communion with God, our habits and disposition – even our appearance – are all changed. To pray means to be on speaking terms with God, to be in communion with him and to be transformed into his likeness. We begin to take on a glorious and incorruptible spiritual nature."

2016/4/20 19:27Profile
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!
 Re: Sadhu Sundhar Singh on Prayer

"Those who hunger and thirst after righteousness know Him. He reveals Himself to such people -- those who spend time in prayer. We see our face sometimes not in a mirror but in a river, but when there are waves in the river we are not able to see ourselves. When our lives are full of hurry and bustle we fail to see ourselves, but in a quiet place we see ourselves and we shall be entirely changed -- a new life. Then we shall not be ashamed. We shall know Him by living with Him -- and we must live in Him through a life of prayer."

2016/4/20 19:29Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Thank you for sharing these.

2016/4/20 19:31Profile
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!
 Re:

"The new-born child needs no instruction in drinking, but instinctively turns to its mother's breast for nourishment. For her part, the mother withholds no good gift from her child, but still the child cannot receive the mother's milk without effort. In the same way, we are carried at God's breast, but we must turn to God in prayer for the spiritual milk that sustains our souls."

2016/4/20 19:49Profile

Re: Followthelamb

Sister so agree. After reading these posts went out for a prayer walk this evening with the Lord. Such a refreshing time. Heard him speak into my mind.

Many times I think we have made prayer a religious thing. Or a time of simply petitioning Him for our own needs. I think we need to rediscover that prayer is simply conversing with God. I think the Lord likes it when we just come to him and simple fellowship and talk about what occurred during the day. I think this is what Adam did when he walked with the Lord in the cool of the day.

Anyway my sister thank you for these wonderful posts. Such an encouragement to come to Jesus in prayer. Such an encouragement to come to Jesus in fellowship.

The Lord bless you richly.

Brother Blaine

2016/4/20 20:43
brothagary

Re:

Yea blain ,I feel the most important pray is the ministry to the lord as seen in the acts of the apostals, but this is forgotan, and replaced with petition meetings , for healing for material blessings ,,what God can do for us has become more important then God ,,,,,the measure of spiritual blessing we can get through petition meetings ,is not the same and wil not fill us with his spirit to a point where we become saints full of the spirit ,,

Our priority in prayer meetings should be expectant pray ,to be filled with God ,and out of that will flow the rest of secondary types of praying ,namely petitions,, Supplication is a lost or neglected art ,in the Christian life ,,,lets be supplicants regarding his spirit , poor Begeraly hungry for the bread from heaven above all other blessings of healings ,and temporary blessings ...

2016/4/20 21:03Profile

Re: Brothagary

Amen my brother. Amen.

2016/4/20 22:10
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Sadhu Sundhar Singh on Prayer

Thank you sister for sharing these devotionals. This is so rich, and it is really what is at the heart of prayer that all those that sought to seek God's face and not His hand wrote about.

I have often had the most wonderful fellowship with God going out in the woods or in the park, and spending time in the Lord's presence. This is so much better than the seeking of things, and if we truly seek the Kingdom of God first, then everything that we need in life will be provided for us.

2016/4/20 23:11Profile
brothagary

Re:

Mike I would even go as far as saying that even healing miricals jobs ,safety and the list goes on are what the Gentiles seek ,and if we seek for the the kingdom of God ,all these things will be added,,,because God knows what we need ,,,,,,,,,so we can just believe God knows what we need acknowledge that we know that God knows what we need ,,,,and just seek the kingdom of God and his spirit ,rather then spend an hour praying for all this ,,,, ..

Jesus taught the Lord's Prayer,,and he taught the seeking of the holly spirit in a fevernt way ,hence why he gave the parable of getting loves,from th friend at night while the friend was in bed with his children ,,persistent seeking for the Holy Spirit ...

2016/4/21 0:22Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Gary, I agree with you that the Kingdom of God and His righteousness should be the main thing that we are seeking after, but there is a place in prayer that we can petition God for needs. Even in the Lord's prayer, "Give us this day our daily bread."

We have not because we ask not. Jesus said that if we abide in Him and His Word abides in us, then we can ask whatever we will, and it shall be done for us. (John 15:7).

The point is that many Christians come to God with a big list of needs without spending time in true fellowship, praising and thanking Him for who He is and what He has done, and seeking to know Him, and to be changed by beholding His glory.

2016/4/21 3:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy