SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Septuagint Give your vote.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Pnutty

Branson, MO

The Septuagint Give your vote.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/lxx/

Read it?

Stay away from it.

I can get one in hand inexpensively, Id like to use it as my Old Testament and then my King James for new.

But I wanted to check in here.

2016/4/20 10:02Profile

Re: The Septuagint Give your vote.

I am about to get one too. Most of the NT Quotes of OT passages show clear marks of being from the Septuagant. It's just the OT Hebrew translated into Greek.

2016/4/20 10:17
Pnutty

Branson, MO

Re:

Thanks Jeff

Which one are you going to get?

And are you going to use it exclusive for your OT reading?

Are you getting the 1851 Breton?

2016/4/20 10:49Profile

Re:

Not sure yet which one.

And no, I wouldn't say, "exclusively". I have Spiros Zhodiates' Greek NT parallel lexicon, NT Exhaustive Greek dictionary & his OT HEBREW parallel lexicon I like to refer to as well.

2016/4/20 11:23
Pnutty

Branson, MO

Re:

Here are the Psalms, and they are so different!

Is that good or bad? Can the whole book be trusted? That's what I need to know.

http://ecmarsh.com/lxx/Psalms/

Will folks read a few of their favorite Psalms and give an opinion here?

2016/4/20 12:47Profile
Pnutty

Branson, MO

Re:

########### Never mind#####################
Ill pass on the septuagint

https://www.chick.com/ask/articles/septuagint.asp

This made me doubt the septuagint.

Ill trust in my KJV and sorry I asked about it.

Im no scholar.

2016/4/20 13:10Profile

Re:

Ok,
Sorry, I'm not KJV Only. The Septuagant is the actual OT scripture the NT writers seem to quote from - FYI. That means it can't be some heresy or deception, otherwise they would have caught it for sure. To the KJV Only crowd though, everything but the KJV is in error. Which is itself a grievous error - FYI.
God Bless,
Jeff

2016/4/20 13:16
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

You can trust it but the one that arrived to us is perhaps not the best one. IMHO I never saw a reason to read it. I am no Greek reader and another group's English translation of a translation is not going to move us appreciably closer to Christ. Again IMO.

2016/4/20 13:16Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

I have read the Septuagint for many years now. I use the Apostolic Polyglot which an Interlinear Greek English with both the Old and New Testamants with no notes. It also has a comprehensive concordance that allows you to do word studies based upon the Greek words use from Genesis to revelation. Having done many such studies has greatly enhanced my own understanding of why a New Testament writer chose a particular word. Having this original language tool gives any person the ability to study whether translators chose the most appropriate or accurate English word. The depth and beauty of truths expressed by the biblical writers have been magnified by the use of the Septuagint. The scriptures definitely contain the very breath of God and the wisdom revealed through the precise grammar of the Greek is stunning.

85% of the Old Testament scriptures quoted by New Testament writers are letter for letter exact match with the Spetugint.

Having studied the New Testament koine Greek for many years, I began reading the Septuagint and have seen first hand how beautifully the two testaments compliment each other.

Mak

2016/4/20 13:28Profile
Pnutty

Branson, MO

Re:

That chick.com raised the issue of why Jesus would say not one jot or tittle when the Greek would have neither. Only the Hebrew letters would.

And Jesus refered to the text as the law of Moses, and Prophets, and the Psalms.

And THAT is how the Hebrew Bible is written. Whereas the Septuagint is all mixed up.

Then the Septuagint cannot be the Bible of the New Testament!

That sounds like a dupe or a hoax to me.

P.S. I didnt know the end from the beginning when I started this thread. I simply started google search and the chick.com came up. Never heard of it. But those points were enough for me to pass.

2016/4/20 14:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy