SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Yelling screaming preachers.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

There is a local LPTV station that plays mostly loops of 1990s southern gospel performances and some in studio preaching. There is a parade of small country church pastors and rural preachers who don't have a regular pulpit and then some others who ....well they just like the idea of being called a preacher.

I know this little fella who is the latter. He dips snuff and chews tobacco and....well, he just makes stuff up. :) For several years, I was in the convenience store business with my brother. Lawyer by day, stocker and cashier and toilet cleaner by night. :). This little guy was and is a regular. So, we struck up a relationship where I'd poke at him a little because he would be practically hacking and preaching when he walked through the front door. He was always bragging to anyone who'd listen about which little lean-to tree stump church he had been invited to preach at. Oh, he was a big deal, let me tell you.

Anyway, one night he came in and got a sleeve of Copenhagen or something. Then, he proceeded to ask me if I knew about X church. What he didn't know is that I knew X church VERY well, know their doctrine and polity like my own hand, and I know their folks very well. He went on to tell me how they had just ordained him. I said, "Really? Because you are the first person in the history of X denomination to wear jewelry and use tobacco and be accepted as saved, let alone get ordained while doing it." He got all big eyed. He said the tobacco was never for him, but for someone else. I said "I ain't so sure about that because I see you dipping it. But that is between you and them." I wished him well.

He kept coming back in and the same routine. I left the business 3 years ago and only saw him around town from time to time. Always poking at him you know. He is as country as a cottonmouth curled up in a buttermilk biscuit. So, about a month ago, I was watching the little LPTV station as I flipped past it. Who was on there yelling? Yes sir. Him. Not just yelling, now. Hacking. And not just hacking.

You know how some of the ooooold preachers just naturally hack? They audibly "heh!" In the breath after a phrase or sentence? A lot,of them have done it for so long it really IS second nature. Then, there are the younger guys who think you are not really preaching UNLESS you are hacking. This guy is not only not a clear preacher, he is a terrible hacker. He is TRYING to hack. He is working the hacks into his phrase breaks. Like the "heh!" is a word that you have to say but sometimes forget to say. If he missed one he would back up and get it. Oh, he was impressed with himself.

He was carrying in about something. My wife walked in, saw him and said, "oh no!" Like a wreck. Could not turn away from it. Well, then he said this jewel: "You can take that cake and make it all purty and you can put some icin' on it, but that that don't make it right." That laid us low, let me tell you. We rolled.

Then, the very next week, we went to see the Hank Williams movie. Who was in the parking lot? With his pastor? Him. He walked up to me. I said, "Hey, man, how you doin?""Aw, purty good. Goin in here to see God's Not Dead." I said, "Tell me how it is. But I have to tell you something. You can take that cake and make it all pretty, but don't you think you can put icin' on it and make it good." Just nonsense. He looked at me and got this funny look on his face. I laughed and said, "Yeah, I saw you! I saw you on TV preaching about cakes." He died laughing. Then he bragged about how many people had been seeing him on TV, and how they wanted him back.... Yeah. All that. I just shook my head and wished him well.

That, fellers, is preachin'.

2016/4/12 21:31Profile
sonsigns

Brumley Missouri

Re: Yelling screaming preachers.

I like to listen to a lot of different preachers. Some yell at times, some scream, some just talk. One of my favorite preachers aside from Lenard Ravenhill, I really like the Mcgruders. They were a southern Pentecostal family singing and preaching "Holy Ghost," floor stomping, revival inspiring team.
https://youtu.be/32YRH6pycn0

Some times they talk but when Brother Mcgruders wife got up to preach "Whew!" she could preach.

If the preacher is preaching and screams or yells, that is alright, unless their is no anointing in it by the Holy Spirit.

2016/4/12 22:33Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

Whitefield would get pretty loud at times preaching in the open fields - reading some of his sermons that were transcribed were doctrinally sound.

The poster asked, Do they irritate you? Well, I say this in truth, but not to offend - that says more about me, than it does about them, for the irritation comes from within me, and what comes out of a person is what defiles them (said Christ Jesus) - my thoughts say much about me - for as a man thinketh so is he (Proverbs) - that's Scriptural.

Also, some preachers forget that their hearers have ears but can't hear, and have eyes but can't see. Thye Word bounces off their stoney hearts. Yelling won't do any good in that case to a spiritually deaf man.

I'm just generalizing, and using Scripture; not pointing fingers at any particularly. However, I must add, if the Holy Spirit is preaching through a man, and he's getting loud, praise the Lord!

2016/4/13 0:09Profile

Re:

I have been blessed by preachers at both ends of the spectrum. Because I don't listen to the vessel I listen for the Lord. A man or woman sharing insights, ideas, opinions, practical advice or what they learned at Bible College is worthless. It is the anointing that breaks every yoke, destroys ever stronghold, convicts of sin, destroys darkness and makes the line to God straight. It is the flesh that cares about tone not the inner man, a New York Striploan is a New York Striploin even if it's served on a paper plate.

Paul from all I can gather was not a good speaker. Jonathon Edwards read his sermons and rarely even looked up, I could go on for the rest of the day.

Marc mc

2016/4/13 7:54
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

I love some loud preaching too, when the Lord is in it. He is too, lots of times. In my own experience as an audience, most of the time it has just been loud because the preacher thinks volume equals anointing. If I find myself struggling to listen because the volume overpowers my ability to clearly hear and think what is being said, it is hard to blame myself.

Like someone else posted it is a bit much when you scream through a mic.

2016/4/13 8:14Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Great feedback here. I grew up in a southern baptist church, and was forced to listen to the drill sergeant Pastors, I guess that's why I really appreciate a lower toned one. Also I've always heard, if you really want someone to listen, whisper, I feel there is a lot of truth to that. Yes! of course, if the holy spirit take over, scream from the mountain top, but I can tell you most of the screaming preachers I see today, I wonder if they even know what the holy spirit is.

I guess I'm into more of the bible teachers, they seem to be toned down a tad. If being in a church were the pastor is screaming and hollering to get the folks up and dancing like in a circus is your thing, well I have no problem with that, "IF" you're getting a message there. God speaks to us all differently, I got screamed at enough at home as a child, I ready for a lower toned world now.

2016/4/13 11:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy