SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Third temple - Is it the church?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Third temple - Is it the church?

The temple came to mind as I was reading in a previous post that what is literal does not have to be natural (or physical) but it can be spiritual. In these three verses I would understand the temple as spiritual.
Thessalonians 2:4
he that opposeth and exalteth himself against all that is called God or that is worshipped; so that he sitteth in the temple of God, setting himself forth as God.
Here I think of a false teaching (or false teacher) trying to take over the church.
In Acts 15 the apostles are discussing how the gentile believers need to be accepted in the church. And concerning the church James in Acts 15:15 refers to Amos 9:11,12
11. In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:
12.That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the LORD that doeth this.
Here we see the NT explanation of an OT prophecy where the restored tent of David is the church.
John 2:19-21
19. Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
20. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
21. But he spake of the temple of his body.
Here the Jews understood the temple as physical but Jesus meant his body that is also the church spiritually. (1 Corinthians 12:27)
There is an interesting article (text sermon) on Sermonindex by Charles Alexander talking about prophecies of the the third temple. https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=22433
I would be interested to see how everyone views this topic, the verses and the article.

Zsuzsanna

2016/4/7 19:43

Re: Third temple - Is it the church?

It will take some time to read, but quickly scanning it, he has some good points. Will reply more, later.

2016/4/7 21:29

Re:

Hi Zsuzsanna
Welcome to this forum, may we be able to encourage and build each other up for the Glory of God

I haven't studied your question properly, what I give you is more an opinion and some references to look up
The Body is not the same as the "Church" The "Church" is the "Ekklesia" which means an assembly of people that are called out. Jesus builds this Ekklesia and it belongs to Him (Matthew 16:18)

About the third temple: "The architecture of the temple is described in detail in Chapters 40 to 42 of Ezekiel. " (From Wikipedia.) That seems to be a physical building.

Hope that helps a bit

2016/4/8 0:19

Re:

Hi Markuskiwi,

I have always wondered why you say "the Body is not the same as the Church"?

These two scriptures indicate the Body of Christ is the same as the Church of Christ.

Col_1:18 And HE IS THE HEAD OF THE BODY, THE CHURCH: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Col_1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh FOR HIS BODY'S SAKE, WHICH IS THE CHURCH:

Ekklesia means “called out ones”, referring to those who have been called out of their sin, selfishness and the world (meaning the world system and values and everything that is not of Christ). It also means that we have been called out from under the power of darkness into the kingdom of His dear Son.

1Th 2:12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.
Col_1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Just wondering how you see the Church of Christ and the Body of Christ as different entities? So then, who makes up the Body and who makes up the Church in your thinking? Since you brought it up again, can you explain? I am really curious.

I am still reading about Ezekiel's temple. I don't think it is a future physical temple. Maybe it was one that should have been built after the Babylonian captivity. Not sure yet, but Ezekiel talks about animal sacrifices, mandatory physical circumcision, separation between the Jews and Gentiles, owning slaves again and a Temple only for the Jews, in chapters 43 to 46.

Through Christ we have a BETTER COVENANT, based on BETTER PROMISES all because of the BETTER SACRIFICE.
Heb_8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a BETTER COVENANT, which was established upon BETTER PROMISES.

I don't see this as an end times physical Temple, especially since God does not dwell in temples made with hands, He dwells in His Body, we are the Temple of God (2 Cor 6:16). A body must have a Head and a Head must have a Body.

2016/4/8 1:26

Re:

Thanks J - good points
Will do a bit more study ;)

2016/4/8 3:16

Re: What is the church?

Hi marcuskiwi,

Thanks for your insight.
I agree that the church naturally is an assembly of people. But it is also spiritual. It is
- a spiritual building .....1Peter 2:5
- a body of Christ ......Ephesians 5:30-32
- a kingdom of God ......Colossians 1:13
- a bride Revelations ......21:9-11
- a priesthood ...... 1Peter 2:5
- temple of God ...... Ephesians 2:19-22, Matthew 18:20

Zsuzsanna

2016/4/10 11:34

Re: Ezekiel's temple

When I am trying to understand the Bible my starting point is Christ.
Jesus said that the OT scriptures testify of Him. John 5:39
Paul also used the OT scriptures to show Christ to the Jews. Acts 18:28
In the letter to the Hebrews Paul explains that Jesus is the sacrifice for our sins and we don't need animal sacrifices any more Hebrews 10.
It is difficult to understand what the temple in Ezekiel's vision means. Many times in the Bible OT scriptures are explained by NT scriptures.
Questions to the forum:
Is there any NT scripture that refers to Ezekiel's vision?
Is there any NT scripture that refers to a future physical temple to be built?

2016/4/10 13:58
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re: Third temple - Is it the church?

Anyone can build a temple. Whether or not it's for Gods purpose is another story. I see in some of the Jewish newspapers that the rebuilding of Solomon's temple is in the plans. Of course it's not for the church.

There is a desire for a certain someone to sit on David's throne and thereby claiming to be the anointed one.

Think about it. How else can the one on the white horse deceive unless he is sitting on a throne, and releasing the word, "...come and hear the message of God from Zion.." The false Christ comes first. " the law will be going forth from Zion.." but it won't be the law you want to hear.

2016/4/10 15:25Profile
docs

Re: A thorough look at Ezekiel's temple

Presented from a premillennial view, the info and comments on this website are pretty thorough and inclusive of the questions that arise from this long debated portion of scripture. There's more than enough to read and consider.

https://hipandthigh.wordpress.com/category/ezekiels-temple/

2016/4/10 15:59Profile
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

Hi Zsuzsanna,

The prophecy of Ezekiel talks about a third temple that will be built in Jerusalem for the Jews not for the Church. We know from the NT that Christians whether Jews or Gentiles are the true spiritual temple of God. So God is not concerned about physical temples today but he is building his true and everlasting spiritual house.

In Romans 11:25 Paul says, "For I do not desire, brethren,that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.and so all Israel will be saved, as it is written:
"The Deliverer will come out of Zion, And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob; For this is My Covenant with them, When I take away their sins."

Its pretty clear from these verses that all Israel will be saved when Christ comes back.

The messianic hope of the Jews is still alive today, many of them wait for the coming Messiah, even though not all of them but this hope will increase more as the Jews realize that they need the Messiah to save them. They will build the third temple according to Ezekiel and in the middle of tribulation period Antichrist will seat in the temple and desecrate it. This can't be a spiritual temple sister, because Christ seats as King in his spiritual and holy temple.

Another thing to consider is that many of the early Church Fathers believed in that Anti-Christ will seat in the temple that the Jews will build, so this teaching has the support of of those Church Fathers who kept the apostolic teaching of John like Irenaus etc.

And they did not believe the modern fiction of dispensianalism that we will be raptured before the great tribulation. The Church always has gone and will go thru tribulation, that's the will of our Father and that's the teachings of the Apostles.

Blessings Sister,

2016/4/10 18:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy