SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is dialog always profitable?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
makrothumia

Texas

Is dialog always profitable?

I find it interesting that when Paul expresses his desires for all men, he desired "all men everywhere to pray." He even used the Greek word "proton" (first or primarily) as if to say this should be the priority of all men, to pray for all those in positions of authority in this "bios" (natural life). He wrote that our prayers for them were to be aimed at our living a quiet and tranquil "bios" (natural life) in all godliness and reverence.

It is worth noting that he was led to emphasize the need for these prayers and petitions to be lifted up by holy hands WITHOUT "anger" or "dialogism". The Greek word means "reasoning all the way through". It is translated with different English words such as "disputing" or "arguing", but the main idea is attempting to work through something "logically".

It would do many of us good to consider there are subjects, topics, and issues that Paul warned believers not to approach "logically". There are differences and beliefs that are best and prudent to be kept private between ourselves and God.

I believe we are seeing the unwholesome effect of "dialogism" here on the forum. I realize we have been given our minds to love the Lord and develop to full capacity, but mentally working logically through difficult subjects is not the way to attain to the unity of the Spirit by the bond of peace.

Mak

2016/4/5 7:01Profile
Pnutty

Branson, MO

Re: Is dialog always profitable?

Amen!

I was asking myself if it was a mistake that I came and joined in on the forum. I never really kept up with the forum. And I wondered if it was always this way. I dont know whay I thought that this would be so much different than the world.

I have been thinking that I should stop reading the forum except for excerpts of sermons or writings that get posted.

It is a sin of Pride. Listen to me, hear me, what I say is important, I am right, I know more.

Really what letter would Paul write to the Sermon Index congregation?

2016/4/5 7:23Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!

Good word dear brother. many saints, including myself in the past have shared this verse to encourage holiness and godliness:

"...that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world." - Philippians 2:15

But we never quote the short verse before:

"Do all things without complaining and disputing." - Philippians 2:14

So it seems that if we are "disputing" and arguing then we are not being the children of light that God wants us to be and we are not shining but darkened in our testimony through carnal debating and arguing before a lose and dying world.

2016/4/5 7:26Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

I would also add that once I was around a group of very zealous saints in a house church and after the meeting no one would take, they would just smile. The reason was they wanted to try and not sin with their mouths and be humble before the brethren.

Obviously not talking is not victory and our Lord spoke much at times but had no sin. We can speak with brethren and the lost world and also have the victory, so to stop communicating would be wrong.

A good thing that the forums can manifest is pride, and lack of victory over our passions in arguing and we can see this as an area that we need the crucifying mortifying work of the Spirit of God. Should it not be possible for saints to be in unity, John 17, and display this before the world. That saints could humble themselves and prefer each other as better then themselves?

I think what brother Alan is speaking towards is also that in James we should be more quick to hear then speak, so there is wisdom to at times be much more quieter.

2016/4/5 7:35Profile
SHMILY

Washington ~ the state ;)

Amen!!!!

Thank you brother.

2016/4/5 9:54Profile
docs

Re: Amen also

Thank you.

2016/4/5 11:02Profile

Bro Alan writes...

" I realize we have been given our minds to love the Lord and develop to full capacity, but mentally working logically through difficult subjects is not the way to attain to the unity of the Spirit by the bond of peace."

I totally agree with this. There are certain subjects, that for several hundred years and more, the enemy has used to divide and conquer brethren. These subjects tend to appeal to the intellect and to the intellectual. And with that comes pride and ego and then separation and animosity and finally, and tragically, hatred, which in other days led to murder. If you think I am being melo-dramatic then perhaps a study of church history might be in order.

Seems like there have been quite a bit of this lately in the forum by a smallish number and on just a few certain topics. And in all of those topics, there is no backing down or simply agreeing to disagree, there has been a constant push to prove oneself right.

"I believe we are seeing the unwholesome effect of "dialogism" here on the forum."

Indeed this seems to be correct............bro Frank

2016/4/5 11:22

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy