SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Three types of belivers

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Three types of belivers

This is from the book War on the Saints by Jesse Penn-Lewis and Evan Roberts. I though it was interesting. You can read the book online at [url=http://www.acts1711.com/Contents.html]http://www.acts1711.com/Contents.html[/url] Sorry there is a big space in it I was trying to get the table to come out and i couldnt get the code to come out quite right.

THE CLASS OF BELIEVERS WHO ARE OPEN TO PASSIVITY
The persons open to "passivity," of whom the evil spirits take advantage as ground for their activity, are those who become fully surrendered to God, and are brought into direct contact with the supernatural world by receiving the Baptism of the Holy Ghost. There are some who use the word "surrender," and think they are surrendered fully to carry out the will of God, but are only so in sentiment and purpose, for actually they walk by the reason and judgment of the natural man; although they submit all their plans to God, and because of this submittal sincerely believe they are carrying out His will. But those who are really "surrendered," give themselves up to implicitly obey, and carry out at all costs, what is revealed to them supernaturally as from God, and not what they themselves plan and reason out to be the will of God.

Believers who surrender their wills, and all they have and are to God, yet who WALK BY THE USE OF THEIR NATURAL MINDS, are not the ones who are open to the "passivity" which gives ground to evil spirits, although they may, and do, give ground to them in other ways. These we may call Class No. 1, as shown in the following table.
THREE CLASSES AMONG BELIEVERS

I.Unsurrendered.
II.Surrendered, Deceived, Possessed.
III.Surrendered but Undeceived, Dispossessed and Victorious.

These use the word "surrender," but do not really know it, and act it out in practice.
These seem more "foolish" than those in Class 1, but in reality are more advanced.
The mind is liberated, and all the faculties are operating.

Believers in this stage are more reasonable than those in No. 2, because their faculties have not been
yielded into passivity.
In order to understand the actions of No. 2, it is needful to read them from their inner standpoint, for
to them all that they do seems right.
These are open to light and all that is Divine, but they seek watchfully to close themselves to all that
is Satanic.

These believers call those in the next class "cranks," "faddists," ..extremists," etc.
These are open to both Divine and Satanic power.
No. 3 can read Nos. 1 and 2 intelligently.

Are liable to be "puffed up."

Believers in this stage are more reasonable than those in No. 2, because their faculties have not been yielded into passivity. In order to understand the actions of No. 2, it is needful to read them from their inner standpoint, for to them all that they do seems right. These are open to light and all that is Divine, but they seek watchfully to close themselves to all that is Satanic.

These believers call those in the next class "cranks," "faddists," ..extremists," etc. These are open to both Divine and Satanic power. No. 3 can read Nos. 1 and 2 intelligently.
Are liable to be "puffed up."

Class No. 1 are "surrendered" in will, but not surrendered in fact, in the sense of being ready to carry out "obedience to the Holy Ghost" at all costs. They consequently know little of conflict, and nothing of the devil, excepting as a tempter or accuser. They do not understand those who speak of the "onslaughts of Satan," for, they say, they are not "attacked" in this way. But the devil does not always attack when he can. He reserves his attack until it suits him. If the devil does not attack a man, it does not prove that he could not. Another class among believers--Class No. 2--are those who are surrendered in such a measure of abandonment that they are ready to obey the Spirit of God at all costs, with the result that they become open to a passivity which gives ground for the deception and possession of evil spirits.

These surrendered believers (Class No. 2) fall into passivity after the Baptism of the Holy Ghost, (1) because of their determination to carry out their "surrender" at all costs; (2) their relationship with the spiritual world, which opens to them supernatural communications, which they believe to be all of God; (3) their "surrender" leading them to submit, subdue and make all things subservient to this supernatural plane.

The origin of the evil passivity which gives the evil spirits opportunity to deceive, and then possess, is generally a wrong interpretation of Scripture, or wrong thoughts or beliefs about Divine things. Some of these interpretations of Scripture, or wrong conceptions, which cause the believer to give way to the passive condition, we have already referred to in a previous chapter.

The passivity may affect the whole man, in spirit, soul and body, when it has become very deep, and is of many years' standing. The progress is generally very gradual, and insidious in growth, and consequently the release from it is gradual and slow.

2005/5/20 13:00Profile

Re: Three types of belivers

Yes I agree there are three types of believers:

[b][color=00CC00]The Believers[/color][/b]
[b][color=FF0000]The Make Believers[/color][/b]
[b]The Unbelievers.[/b]

Out of the three, what PreachParsley said, where does everyone think they are at?

Karl

2005/5/20 14:38
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re:

Healingwaters

I think you have hit the nail right on the head.. AMEN to that... Greg :-o

2005/5/20 15:48Profile
roadsign

Re: the second group

I got the impression that the second group of believers that Jesse Penn Lewis is talking about are those who have allowed themselves to passively "receive" the Spirit, but not the right kind of spirit. They allow themselves to be deceived by persuasive leaders who pull on their emotions, telling them not to "resist" the Spirit. Discernment is discarded, because "questioning" is the same as doubting God. Those who doubt are told that they will not receive anything (And who wants that to happen).

I have seen contemporary christian music, along with very suggestive language used to "prepare" the people to receive manifestations of the Spirit. But sadly, this leaves them vulnerable to evil spirits (travelling as angels of light)

It reminds me of Eastern religions, or New Age...chanting for a long period of time through music/movement - to empty the mind ...... I'd say that it is common in Toronto Airport Fellowship/Vineyard type of gatherings, though I think it can happen anywhere.

These group two people are often easy to spot. They are heavily into the church thing, but you can't talk with them about deep spiritual things. They seem shallow, spaced out and distant. They are convinced they are enlightened, yet seem out of touch with the reality that is going on around them. They are convinced they are very right and very spiritual.
I'm assuming that JPL is referring to that kind of phenomena.

I like Karl's three catagories, though, I'm not sure that's the same as JPL's group two. I'd say that in either case they are deceived about themselves.
Diane

2005/5/20 16:30Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy