SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : 70 A.D.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
passerby

70 A.D.

This has been a hot subject for some time now. I know God is justified in allowing this, I bow down to his judgement. But on the otherside there was a very deep anguish even to the first generations of christians that such would happen to the beloved of God even though the jews were then their harshest persecutor.

Then I remembered what occured to king Dav on the death of King Saul in 1 Samuel:

Then David took hold of his clothes and tore them, and so did all the men who were with him.12 And they mourned and wept and fasted until evening for Saul and for Jonathan his son and for the people of the LORD and for the house of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword.

And David lamented with this lamentation over Saul and Jonathan his son,18 and he said it should be taught to the people of Judah; behold, it is written in the Book of Jashar. He said:

"Your glory, O Israel, is slain on your high places!
How the mighty have fallen!

Tell it not in Gath,
publish it not in the streets of Ashkelon,

lest the daughters of the Philistines rejoice,
lest the daughters of the uncircumcised exult.
"You mountains of Gilboa,
let there be no dew or rain upon you,
nor fields of offerings!

For there the shield of the mighty was defiled,
the shield of Saul, not anointed with oil.
"From the blood of the slain,
from the fat of the mighty,
the bow of Jonathan turned not back,
and the sword of Saul returned not empty.
"Saul and Jonathan, beloved and lovely!
In life and in death they were not divided;
they were swifter than eagles;
they were stronger than lions.

"You daughters of Israel, weep over Saul,
who clothed you luxuriously in scarlet,
who put ornaments of gold on your apparel.
"How the mighty have fallen
in the midst of the battle!

"Jonathan lies slain on your high places.
I am distressed for you, my brother Jonathan;
very pleasant have you been to me;
your love to me was extraordinary,
surpassing the love of women.
"How the mighty have fallen,
and the weapons of war perished!"

Lament over Jerusalem (Mat 23:37)

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!See, your house is left to you desolate.39 For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"

2016/3/31 19:22Profile

Re: 70 A.D.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

23:34-39 Our Lord declares the miseries the inhabitants of Jerusalem were about to bring upon themselves, but he does not notice the sufferings he was to undergo. A hen gathering her chickens under her wings, is an apt emblem of the Saviour's tender love to those who trust in him, and his faithful care of them. He calls sinners to take refuge under his tender protection, keeps them safe, and nourishes them to eternal life. The present dispersion and unbelief of the Jews, and their future conversion to Christ, were here foretold. Jerusalem and her children had a large share of guilt, and their punishment has been signal. But ere long, deserved vengeance will fall on every church which is Christian in name only. In the mean time the Saviour stands ready to receive all who come to him. There is nothing between sinners and eternal happiness, but their proud and unbelieving unwillingness.

Pulpit Commentary

Verse 39. - Ye shall not see me henceforth. Christ explains the denunciation just given. In a few days he will be separated from them by death and burial; and, though he appeared to certain chosen witnesses after his resurrection, he was seen no more by the people (Acts 10:41); their house was deserted. Some take the word "see" in the sense of know, recognize; but it seems rather weak to say, "Ye shall not know me till ye acknowledge me as Messiah," as the knowing and acknowledging are practically identical or simultaneous. Till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord! The words which had greeted his triumphal entry a few days before (Matthew 21:9). The clause, "till ye shall say," does not shut the door of hope forever; it looks forward to a happier prospect. The time intended is that when Israel shall repent of its rejection of the Messiah, and in bitter contrition look on him whom it pierced, owning and receiving Jesus with glad "Hosannahs!" Then shall they behold him coming in power and glory, and shall regain their old position as beloved of God (see Hosea 3:4, 5; Zechariah 12:10). Then "all Israel shall be saved" (Romans 11:26). Thus this terrible chapter, so dark and menacing, closes with a glow of hope and a promise, indefinite but certain, of final restoration.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

For I say unto you, ye shall not see me henceforth,.... Meaning in a very little time after the passover, from the time of his crucifixion and death; otherwise they saw him many times after this, as in the palace of the high priest, in Pilate's judgment hall, and on the cross; but not after his resurrection. This shows the reason of their house being desolate, and in what sense it should be so, and immediately became so; namely, by being then directly, and ever after, destitute of his presence: and though they might afterwards seek for, and expect the Messiah in it, yet they would never be able to see him, nor throughout their long captivity: till ye shall say, blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; that is, until the time comes, that the fulness of the Gentiles shall be brought in, and all Israel shall be saved, the Jews shall be converted, and seek the Lord their God, and David their king; when they shall readily and cheerfully say these words to Christ, who will then appear in his glory; which they were now displeased at in the multitude that followed him, and the children in the temple. Though some think this is said by way of threatening, since the rest that is spoken to them by Christ is of that sort, and regards the men of that generation; and is given as a reason of their house being left desolate: and the sense is, that they should never see him with joy and pleasure; since, though they would be obliged to confess that he was Lord and Christ, they would never say the above words to him in faith, and holy reverence of him. The Cambridge exemplar of Beza's, and the Persic versions, read, "in the name of God.

2016/3/31 20:31
passerby

Re:

Luke 21:20-24

"But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation has come near. Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, and let those who are inside the city depart, and let not those who are out in the country enter it, for these are days of vengeance, to fulfill all that is written. Alas for women who are pregnant and for those who are nursing infants in those days! For there will be great distress upon the earth and wrath against this people. They will fall by the edge of the sword and be led captive among all nations, and Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

Romans 11:25

Lest you be wise in your own sight, I want you to understand this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.

Jeremiah 31:10

"Hear the word of the LORD, O nations,
and declare it in the coastlands far away;
say, 'He who scattered Israel will gather him,
and will keep him as a shepherd keeps his flock.'

Ezekiel 11:17

"Therefore say: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will gather you from the nations and bring you back from the countries where you have been scattered, and I will give you back the land of Israel again.'

2016/4/1 10:29Profile
passerby

Re:

In 66 AD, Jewish zealots openly revolted against the roman empire, completely driven the roman forces out of Jerusalem and killed more than 600 of them. The high priest who tried to pacify the revolt was also executed.

Emperor Nero in response, gave this univocal command, destroy Jerusalem, level the temple. Vespasian and his son Titus were given the charge. Josephus (the historian) was the commander of Jewish forces as they fought alone the great Roman power at the misgiving of their surrounding nations. The Jews were proven to be formidable foe that Rome committed its full might for this campaign. If the Jews will win, the whole empire may revolt.

Bloody factions, however, rose among the Jews, which resulted to their slaughter of one another. Extremist Jewish patriots plotted against Josephus, who ended as collaborator to the Romans. He adopted the Vespasian's family name Flavius for the favors given to him by Vespasian who later became the emperor of Rome succeded by his son Titus, the builder of 'Roman Colloseum'. Titus reign as emperor was marked with catastrophic events and disasters in Rome.

By 68 AD, the revolt in the northern province fell and the whole Roman force was then set to the annihilation of Jerusalem. During this year, emperor Nero committed suicide, Vespasian was declared to the throne, and Titus became fully in-charge towards the siege of the Jewish capital.

Titus surrounded Jerusalem with the Roman Legions, progressively choking the life of the Jews, cutting off the water and food supply. After bitter and desperate resistance, the wall of Jerusalem was breached in 70 AD. The huge stream of Roman attackers slaughter any Jew they met on their rampage. More than one million Jews perished in the Jerusalem siege, about 350,000 more perished in other places, several thousand starved, thousands more enslaved to hard labor or butchered in Roman amusement arena, and thousands upon thousands carried into banishment and captivity. The seven-branched candlestick, the golden table of the shew-bread and the golden trumpets were carried through the streets of Rome in celebration.

Jerusalem was utterly destroyed, the only jewish relic spared to witness for us today is the 'wailing wall'.

The second temple took more than half century to finish. Its grandeur and magnificence was striking to behold. In just four years after its completion it was totally wiped out, as the Lord Jesus declared.

Luke 21:5-6

And while some were speaking of the temple, how it was adorned with noble stones and offerings, he said, "As for these things that you see, the days will come when there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down."

The Jewish rebellion was finally extinguished in 73 AD with the tragic fall of Masada.

What can we say, that the solemn and grand covenant of God with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob after all ended upon pile of ruins, pools of blood, dead bodies, smoke & raging fire, ashes, and to hopeless and wandering souls.

2016/4/2 4:36Profile
passerby

Re:

Year 70 AD, Amidst the deafening sounds of death, pain, & destruction , there was was a foreboding sense of of total silence and darkness upon the souls of Israel. The light of their hopes went out, 'Our bones are dried up, and our hope is lost; we are indeed cut off.'

Ezekiel 37: The Valley of Dry Bones

The hand of the LORD was upon me, and he brought me out in the Spirit of the LORD and set me down in the middle of the valley; it was full of bones.2 And he led me around among them, and behold, there were very many on the surface of the valley, and behold, they were very dry.3 And he said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?"

On May 14, 1948, 4 pm, PM David Ben-Gurion pursuant to UN Resolution 181 dated November 29,1947, read a 979-word declaration of independence of the State of Israel in Tel Aviv. The new state was recognized soon by the superpowers, the USA after few hours and the USSR after three days.

Truman's decision to support the establishment of Israel was not without strong, bitter, and threatening oppositions. As feared by then US State secretary George Marshall, the Arab nations immediately declared war for the annihilation of the new State, the seemingly unending bloody predicament of the Jewish people continues.

Will God really resurrect the dry bones again, is the new of state Israel the fulfillment of that prophecy.

2016/4/3 2:29Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Jesus said to them, “Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down.” - Matthew 24:2

So the churches were strengthened in their faith and grew larger every day. - Acts 16:5

At the time of 70. AD the Church was abounding, growing and increasing daily. Thousands of house churches were forming in all the regions around Jerusalem. Apostles were being martyred but hundreds were taking their place as leaders in their assemblies.

Some estimate that the Book of Acts was written just before 70AD so all that is in the Book of Acts potentially took place just before that date. God was making a clear signal to the world that He was not dwelling in temples of stone made by men but in the hearts of believers, His living Church.

When I think of 70AD I think that the most wonderful revival and movement of God was taking place in the earth. May we read the Book of Acts again and marvel at what the Lord did through men. Not by might nor by power but by My Spirit says the Lord!

2016/4/3 8:00Profile
passerby

Re:

The first christians were aware of the coming destruction of Jerusalem having been warned by the Lord Jesus himself.

According to Eusebius, the christians in Jerusalem commanded by divine revelation, had fled to take refuge at a certain town beyond Jordan called Pella.

2016/4/3 10:24Profile
passerby

Re:

70 AD is the day of vengeance and judgement to the sins of Jacob.

Zechariah 12 & 14 declare the day of Jacob's redemption over those who seek to destroy him by the mighty power of the Holy one of Israel. They will look upon Him whom they have pierced and will proclaim "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord."

The re-gathering of Jacob from exile to their God given land
will make them and Jerusalem a "Cup of staggering and a heavy stone to the nations".

The days of "Jacob's trouble" is coming, days of his tribulation and purification, to remove his dross. They will be yet another days of fiery battles & trials, but his enemies will not prevail for his Messiah Himself will fight for him.

As the Holy One had so declared, so it shall come to pass.

2016/4/4 8:04Profile
docs

Re: Why have we come full circle?

Once again, after almost two thousand years the world and the church can once again gaze upon a Jewish presence in Palestine/Canaan and once again Jerusaelm is surrounded by hostile Gentile armies intent on taking its ownership from the Jews and removing the Jews from the face of the earth. If 70 AD was the irrevocable ending of so much and the supposed irrevocable divorcing of Israel why have we come full circle and basically are looking at the same situation again and the Son of Man has not returned and is still to make His second advent?

2016/4/4 8:30Profile
passerby

Re:

As I was contemplating on these, it came to me that the real culprit is SIN that has so gripped the mankind. We really need a saviour that will free us from the penalty & bondage of sin, otherwise, mankind is always bound for pain and destruction.

But blessed be the Lord our God who will one day give us final victory over sin and death. His will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

2016/4/4 9:16Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy