SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : THE FURNACE OF AFFLICTION by David Wilkerson

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 THE FURNACE OF AFFLICTION by David Wilkerson

“If so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us” (Romans 8:17–18).The apostle Paul is saying that in light of the glory that awaits him, what is his trial in comparison?

Likewise, he wants us to turn our eyes from our present sufferings and focus on what is coming, which will change everything. One minute into our new home in eternity, Paul says, we won’t remember what came before. His point is to start praising now, rejoicing over the joy that awaits us. “By him [Jesus] therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name” (Hebrews 13:15). God has chosen those “refined . . . not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction” (Isaiah 48:10). The people to whom Isaiah offered this vision of a new world had just endured the fury of a raging enemy. Now they were reeling from their tribulation, bound by fear and weariness. They felt that God had forsaken them, and they were afraid of what the future held.

So what word did God send them? It’s the same word he gives his people today: “Wake up! You are not undone, as you think. The Lord, your strength, is still with you. So, get up out of the dust of discouragement, and sit down in the heavenly place I have promised you. You have not lost your righteousness, so put on your robe. Shake yourself, talk to yourself, give yourself a lecture. And tell the flesh and the devil, ‘I am more than a conqueror through him who saved me’” (Isaiah 52:1–3, paraphrased).

“And I will . . . refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God” (Zechariah 13:9).

2016/3/31 9:22Profile

Re: THE FURNACE OF AFFLICTION by David Wilkerson

Quote:
by sermonindex on 2016/3/31 9:22:08

“And I will . . . refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God” (Zechariah 13:9).

Amen, I really like what Brenda said in another post:
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=56547&forum=35

Quote:
If the Holy Spirit is dealing with you about your unholy walk, then it is not wise to quench Him.

My advice to you us is to allow Him to show you your sins and to bring you down into the dust. It is a blessed place to be.

It is indeed a blessed place to be although at first it might not seem so. The writer to the Hebrews even said, "afterwards, it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness."

I think when Peter was writing to the Church, he must have been reading Zech 13:9.

1 Pet 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

And the Holy Spirit writing through John to the seven churches.

Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

We should embrace the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives and not think it a strange or foreign thing, or something to escape from. It is easy to forget this in the midst of trials and tribulations.

1Pe 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:

I am so glad that the Holy Spirit penned this through Peter. There are trials that come upon people today where others might judge as not from God, but how do they really know? We should be encouraging and strengthening one another and trust and pray the Holy Spirit speak to each other if something deeper needs to be dealt with. Some trials are indeed chastisement, but not all trials and there is a purpose for all of them.

2016/3/31 9:38

Re: THE FURNACE OF AFFLICTION by David Wilkerson

Amen, this is truly the walk of the crucified life. The life that glories in the name of the Lord in spite of their circumstances. The Israelites hung their harps on the willow tree when the Babylonians taunted them to sing their songs of victory now that they were totally defeated. Now Paul, baptized by fire and a new creature in Christ, peculiar to the world, sings songs of praises in the midnight hour in shackles and bloody and torn. Down comes the power of God and the whole prison shakes and the doors of the captives are opened. The power of the crucified life.............bro Frank

2016/3/31 9:44

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy