SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does salvation have to be a one-time event?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re: faith journey to salvation

Mike, you have no idea how meaningful it is to read the description of your journey to faith - it is the REAL THING, not just the COPYCAT TALK, or merely a theologial lesson.

I also discovered that only as I look back over my life and see where I've been, do I realize that God was in it all along preparing me for his gift of abundant Life. The Spirit was definitely blowing where I couldn't see or understand at the time.

Many of your words are a fitting description of my own faith journey - in which God brought me to a miserable crisis - actually a succession of crisis. Several times he brought me to the floor, literally, and displayed my sins on the screen of my mind. If he had done it all at once, I don't think I could have survived. Thankfully he revealed to me only as much as I could handle - and as I acknowledged the truth, he touched me with his presence. That's how I experienced his mercy.

Oh, I also remember that prior to that, in a moment of blazing Spirit conviction, I cried to him, "Do whatever it takes, Lord!" (I still keep on praying that - even though I know that it is costly.)

Why don't you put up a section on the forum dedicated especially for personal testimonies? I've already read some of them - posted when the site first started. They speak volumes of the work of the Spirit. It would be nice if they weren't tucked away in amongst the volumes of discussions and sandwiched in various threads.

Diane

2005/5/21 13:17Profile
Compton

Re: the wonder of the gospel as seen by this brute

Quote:
Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Mike, this scripture you brought up, as well as many of the points by others evoked some thoughts I often have about the Gospel itself.

Whenever I handle the gospel message, I sometimes feel like a child handling an irreplaceable vase. As my mom used to say..."Put that down before you break it!"

Many years ago, I thought of the "gospel" as the "plan of salvation for sinners" much like some kind of remedy from God for my sin. The gospel was like a slice out of all that God has spoken to man. There was a time in my Christian walk, hungry for the so called "deeper secrets" that I wanted to move "beyond" the gospel as if it were baby food.

Now I am seeing how terribly inadequate my view was. Regarding the subject of salvation...the gospel isn't culminated in my salvation. No indeed! My salvation isn't the purpose of creation. Instead, my salvation is the result of being exposed and caught up in the glorious life giving nature of God. ""His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature." -II Peter 1:3-5

It has begun to dawn on me, somewhat primitively, that the gospel isn't a message about me...it's declaring the glory of God. It is the good news about His Kingdom and His evelasting dominion. ...Yet out of you shall come forth to Me the One to be Ruler in Israel, whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting. (Micah 5:2 NKJV)

What we refer to as the Gospel is just the human language translation of the Gospel.

There would still be the facts of the gospel even if there were no human ears to hear it. The gospel is not a slice of the Christian experience. It is more then those first steps to the cross to accept redemption. It contains the full orb of God's promises to all creation.
In waiting for these promises to be fulfilled Isaiah 35:1 says, "The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad." Isaiah 55:12 says, "The mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands."

The gospel is given to us...but it was never about us...we are mysteriously included in it's redemption. "For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:"

Yet it is given to us! That Jesus would reside in us is staggering. And this giving is the reason we can rest. Not because we have strived to understand subtle legal instructions to a fragile contract that is voided at the slightest infraction but because we have been called out of the darkness into His glorious light by the very Word of God. By faith we are saved... but even faith is a gift from the Word who calls into the heart of this brute beast to come forth and see the Lord of Creation.

If I may, let me blend two of my favorite scriptures together...from Isaiah and Hebrews. "Look to me, fix your eyes on me, for I am God, the author and finisher of your faith, and there is no other!" Where in life we see the Gospel irrelevant or not pertaining reveals a defeciency in our understanding of the Gospel.

I like how Oswald Chambers puts it. "Look to Him and you are saved."

Open our eyes Lord. We want to see Jesus.

MC

2005/5/21 14:24Profile

Re: deliverance

Tony,

I can understand the confusion, I would be too after reading that.

I should've have used the word 'deliverance' instead of salvation, though they mean the same, yet it can be confusing in our English language.

I used the word 'mulitiple' to signify the fact that we are delivered many many times from the snares of the enemy and even ourselves.

The initial salvation when we were born again is diffently a one time event, but it doesn't stop there, we are delivered many many times thereon.

I hope this clarifies your inquiry, Tony.

Warmly
Karl

2005/5/21 18:03
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Roadsign

Diane,

What a joy you are here amongst us.
Speaking of sign posts, your member name... and the meaning behind that might be interesting.

Recall attempting to push some to get their own testimony's up here and... I understand somewhat the reluctance, some are more private and all, and maybe it's in the wrong way we might see them in our minds, though they are about us in one sense, they surely are [i]testimonies[/i] to Him first and foremost and to the edifying of the body.

I guess you would be familiar with this section below and maybe by droping in tidbits here and there we can encouarge others to give glory to God by sharing what He has done in and through them...

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=44&814][b][u]Miracles that follow the plow[/u][/b][/url]
Post [i]Prayer Requests[/i], Testimonies & Answers to prayer in your life. Use this as a place to share what God is putting on your heart and doing daily.

MC, man, this...

Quote:
Whenever I handle the gospel message, I sometimes feel like a child handling an irreplaceable vase. As my mom used to say..."Put that down before you break it!"

[b]![/b]

Quote:
The gospel is given to us...but it was never about us...we are mysteriously included in it's redemption. "For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:"

Quote:
Yet it [i]is[/i] given to us! That Jesus would reside in us is staggering.

That we could fully realise this! Ah, earlier this week had read thorough Galations and Ephessians and as one of those [i]go figure[/i] moments, just happened to be frolicking around Chip Brogden's site... This brother just gets it, he has started up a webcast of late and listened through this today while working, just some real basic but fundemental thought and that line brought it to mind even more...

Galations

[url=http://www.watchman.net/listen.html]http://www.watchman.net/listen.html[/url]

2005/5/22 0:13Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy