SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : It's Time to Get Back to Jesus - 1

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

An old Chinese scholar, after listening for the first time to the story of the loving, sacrificing God, exclaimed to his neighbor, "Didn't I tell you there ought to be a God like that?"

- E. Stanley Jones

2016/4/9 12:36

Re:

I, as a human, do not become the power or love or wisdom of God; I merely contain Him who is all these, and everything.

- Norman_Grubb

1Cor 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

2016/4/12 2:00

Re:

From the cowardice that shrinks from new truths,
from the laziness that is content with half truths,
and from the arrogance that thinks it knows all truth,
O God of truth, deliver us.

Truth
by Rabbi Mordechai M. Kaplan

2016/4/17 23:28

Re:

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart,
Naught be all else to me, Save that Thou art;
Thou my best thought By day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

- 8th Century Irish hymn

2016/4/20 21:53

Re:

Jesus Christ Himself is the final exegesis of all truth. He is all that we need to know about God.

- Major W. Ian Thomas

2016/4/29 23:24

He Is our Life

Jesus Christ did not just come to show us the way; He is the way. He did not just teach us some truth: He is the truth. He did not just leave us a manual to live by. He is our life. Whatever the need of the human heart, Christ offers Himself as the solution. His eternal answer is "I am".

Much Christian teaching today is "ten steps to spiritual maturity," "the five-minute Christian parent," or "six ways to overcome grief." It is as if the Bible were nothing more than an instruction manual, a positive-thinking guide to success in any area of life, with just enough religious talk to calm our consciences and quiet that still, small voice that keeps reminding us of our emptiness. In many ways we are just like the Jews of Jesus' day to whom He said:

You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are Scriptures that testify about Me, yet you refuse to come to Me to have life" (John 5:39,40).

Rather than digging out of the Bible principles that we apply like a technician to repair our own lives, we are to go to the Word of God to get to know the Person of Jesus Christ, the living Word! Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11: 28). He invites every person to come to Him to experience His love and compassion, and to share His resurrected life.

I'm convinced that the devil doesn't care what our eyes are on, as long as they are off of Jesus. And that includes any one of a hundred good things, like Bible knowledge, fellowship, service, giving, or worship experiences. Anything we do that is not centered on the living Christ is a substitute for Christ. What God will bless as a supplement, He will curse as a substitute. The good is often the most deadly enemy of the best.

Bob George

2016/6/6 8:15

What are you living for?

Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth." 1 John 3:18

Never in human history have Christians consumed more sermons and books. Yet few are finding fulfillment in their walk with God. This is not from a lack of consumption but rather a lack of exercise.

It is through risky obedience that we experience the glory of God. When we stop living by faith, we will stop experiencing Him, and begin to doubt Him. Our hope is to stir you to action (Hebrews 10:24) so that you experience the "life that is truly life" (1 Tim 6:19).

"Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain." 1 Corinthians 15:58

Francis Chan

2016/6/6 23:09

Christ is Life

Have you ever heard someone say, "I tried the Christ life, and it doesn't work."? That statement is very revealing. "It doesn't work," people say. Right there you can see the root of the problem. The Christian life is not an "it"! The Christian life is Christ ­ a vital personal relationship with the One who laid down His life for you, so that He could give His life to you, so that He could live His life through you. "Christ is your life," Paul declared in Philippians 12:21. He is what we have been missing in the midst of all our highly dedicated efforts!

In my opinion, many Christians look at their salvation in Jesus Christ in the same way a teenager viewed a wedding I was performing. With glassy eyes she exclaimed, "I want to get married!" Notice she did not say, "I want to be married"; merely, "I want to get married." In her youthful understanding, to "get married" meant to have her day in the sun, to be the center of attention, and to wear a beautiful gown. Taking this way of thinking to its logical conclusion, I can easily imagine her wedding. Right after the pronouncement of "husband and wife," she expels a huge sigh of relief, thanks the minister for conducting the ceremony, thanks the guests for coming, an then turns to her groom. Giving his hand a vigorous shake, she expresses her sincere thanks to him for saving her from singleness. Then she goes out the side door, gets into a taxi, and goes home. Her goal had been achieved: She got married!

We often look at receiving Christ as the end of something ­ escape from judgment and hell ­ rather than the beginning of a new relationship of growing intimacy with our loving Lord.

Now, obviously, escape from judgment is part of the gospel, but it is not the whole gospel. Jesus defined eternal life this way: "Now this is eternal life: that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent" (John 17:3). Salvation is a new relationship, a new birth, a new life!

Bob George

2016/6/9 16:45

Christ, the Golden Hinge on which our Salvation Turns

"Christ alone is the treasury, storehouse, magazine, of the free goodness and mercy of the Godhead," Ambrose exclaims. "In him we are justified, sanctified, saved. He is the way, the truth, and the life; he is honour, riches, beauty, health, peace, and salvation; all the spiritual blessings wherewith we are enriched, are in and by Christ: God hears our prayers by Christ; God forgives our iniquities through Christ; all we have, and all we expect to have, hangs only on Christ; he is the golden hinge, upon which all our salvation turns."

Isaac Ambrose (1604 - 1663/1664)

2016/6/25 0:04

Re: Christ, the Golden Hinge on which our Salvation Turns

Union with Christ is the heart or centre of all that has been revealed of God's thought concerning man and of mans' relationship to God. Union with Christ is like the hub of a mighty wheel. There are many spokes to that wheel ­ election, creation, redemption, salvation, sanctification, glorification; and then, like a series of subsidiary spokes ­ repentance, faith, justification, conversion, regeneration, and so on. These are the spokes of the wheel, but they all centre in Christ and radiate from Christ and reach the rim, which is God. They unite us in Christ with God.

To give all this its true and full value, it is necessary to contemplate or have revealed to us the meaning of Christ, to see what an immense thing has taken place by the Son of God becoming the Son of man, by God becoming incarnate. It is a question of our being taken, not into Godhead or Deity, but into God's Son incarnate.

Now, the first preachers of the Christ evangel preached Christ. They did not, in the first place, preach salvation or sanctification or forgiveness, or judment or heaven. That does not mean that they did not preach those things: they did; but not in the first place. They preached Christ, and all those things were included in the preaching of Christ; Christ as inclusive of all and as transcending all; for, after all, such things as salvation and sanctification, forgiveness, justification, are subsidiaries, they come afterward. Christ was before them all and Christ will be after them all. They are inside of Christ, but He vastly outstrips them all.

LIVING BY THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF CHRIST
By: T. Austin Sparks

2016/6/27 22:14

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy