SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Worldliness

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

Worldliness

What, then, is the world, and what is it to be, worldly or unworldly? Worldliness is a spirit, a temper. It is not so much an act as an attitude. It is a pose, a posture. It is a certain disposition towards God. It is a certain inclination, a certain aspect of the soul. Worldliness is human activity with God left out. Worldliness is life without heavenly callings, life without ideals, life without heights. Worldliness recognizes nothing of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus: Worldliness has no hill country. Worldliness is horizontal life. Worldliness has nothing of the vertical in it. It has ambition; it has not aspirations. Its motto is success, not holiness. It is always saying, “Onward,” never “Upward.” ( J. H. Jowett)

2016/3/1 18:58Profile
onemite

Re: Worldliness

That's a good quote, MaryJane.

I had just read a txt sermon on worldliness too. I've been thinking about it a lot and trying to identify it within myself.

What is really difficult for me, is that while some preach outward holiness and show no inward change, many preach that worldliness is a heart issue that cannot be measured by outward appearance.
Preaching "heavenly callings" and "upward callings," yet look no different than the world. Only in word are they different.

Sometimes I want to come so far out of the world that I would appear as strange as John the Baptist might have in his day. To be removed from the world is both inward and outward. After all, if the inside of the cup gets washed, isn't the outside also made clean?

Such a hard issue for me. May God deal with me.
:) Thank you for the reminder.

2016/3/2 0:47Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy