SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : "Spotlight" movie

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

"Spotlight" movie

Everyone in our company was required to go see this film- we actually rented a theater to go see it.

It is about the journalists who uncovered the sexual abuse scandal in the RC church in Boston. It was fascinating watching how they did this but was also like getting socked in the gut. Absolutely devastating. Of course their investigation led to the uncovering of similar scandals in the RC church throughout the world.

I really recommend this film. Now it is rated R because it is gritty and portrays journalists and the victims they interview realistically, from a language standpoint. The acting is excellent.

But the message is so compelling and powerful that there wasn't much chit chat as we were leaving the theater.

1 in 10 children will be sexually abused by the time they turn 18. This problem is rampant in our society.

2016/2/25 14:56Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: "Spotlight" movie

Rated 8.2 on IMDb must be pretty good.

2016/2/25 16:35Profile

Re:

http://www.awrsipe.com/

This is the website of Richard Sipe. Mr. Sipe has served as a consultant or expert witness in 250 cases of clergy abuse of minors and other clergy professional malfeasance in the United States and Canada, 1988-2011; and deposed 45 times.

A.W. RICHARD SIPE is a Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor who earlier spent 18 years as a Benedictine monk and priest. He was trained specifically to deal with the mental health problems of Roman Catholic Priests. In the process of training and therapy, he conducted a 25-year ethnographic study of the celibate/sexual behavior of that population. His study, published in 1990, is now considered a classic. Sipe is known internationally and has participated in 12 documentaries on celibacy and priest sexual abuse aired by HBO, BBC, and other networks in the United States, United Kingdom, and France. He has been widely interviewed by media including CNN, ABC, NBC, CNBC, the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, People magazine, Newsweek and USA Today. Sipe lives with his wife in La Jolla, CA.

Sipe has no professional sympathy for the cardinals and bishops and other ranking church officials who cover up their crimes. "Some of them are so terrible," Sipe says. "I mean the plain lying that I've seen, bishop after bishop saying, 'No, this was never true. I don't know anything. I can't remember anything.' And sometimes the bishop just smiles. One bishop said, 'I only lie when I have to.' "

2016/2/25 18:59

Re:

Thousands of Catholic clergy and religious have raped and sodomized tens of thousands of children—perhaps more than 100,000 children—since 1950. These crimes were committed in secret, and bishops nurtured that secrecy. Nearly 15,000 survivors have broken through the silence, and their accounts have created an in-depth picture of the crisis, both in their own writings and in the work of journalists and law enforcement officials. Attorneys have obtained diocesan documents that reveal additional survivor witness and also document parts of a huge cover-up. But for every account that is known, hundreds are not yet public. In order to understand the crisis fully and take the necessary policy actions, the in-depth testimony of individual survivors must be combined with data that capture the breadth of the crisis.

http://www.awrsipe.com/Docs_and_Controversy/Human_Toll.htm

You may also want to check out: Bishop Accountability website

http://www.bishop-accountability.org/

2016/2/25 19:01
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

The Cardinal over the Boston diocese was actually given a more powerful position in Brazil I believe when the scandal broke.

2016/2/25 20:11Profile

Re:

Have no part of that Babylonian harlot of RCC, lest you partake of her plagues

2016/2/26 15:09

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy