SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Paul Washer's Historical & Biblical Definition of Holiness

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Paul Washer's Historical & Biblical Definition of Holiness

I thought this was very well put in a succinct, yet thorough & Biblical manner. True, Biblical Holiness as defined (& examples) by God in the scriptures, by the life of Christ, the apostles, the early church, the worldwide church remnant set ablaze by the fire of God, etc. can be pretty thoroughly defined as follows:

"Holiness, when it comes down to it, is separation from the things that displease God in order to be separated unto the person of God; to esteem God above all things, infinitely above all things His value, & to live in accordance with that estimation. So as men our goal is to learn; is to grow in this truth that everything we do, we are to do for the Glory of God."

Paul Washer, from the sermon, "Be a Man...Biblically."

2016/2/20 13:28

Re: Paul Washer's Historical & Biblical Definition of Holiness

Yep, holiness in it's simplest terms without further explanation is separation. We just talked about that, somewhere.

2016/2/20 17:09
yuehan

The definition of holiness certainly deserves careful thought and exposition.

Holiness does involve being set apart from the world and is without sin. However, God was holy before the world and sin existed. So perhaps such a definition is akin to defining light as "not darkness" - it's a factual statement, but light is not defined by darkness.

For humans, holiness does involve separation unto God. But when God is said to be holy, is He separated unto Himself? Is that a satisfactory definition?

Any thoughts?

2016/2/21 3:08Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

If God sees a man/woman as holy but someone doesn't, is that person still holy?

2016/2/21 6:51Profile
yuehan

Re:

Lysa,

That reminds me - I once heard someone sharing at a Bible study that she had difficulty seeing herself as a saint. She had been conditioned by the popular usage of the term - "saint" is typically applied to people like Mother Teresa and those who adorn stained glass windows in churches.

Popular conceptions of "holiness" and "piety" aren't exactly attractive - dour, reclusive, and no fun. But that's contrary to the holiness which Jesus expressed while He was on earth.

2016/2/21 7:37Profile
yuehan

Re:

Scripture which came to mind - in Exodus 34, when Moses asked God to show him His glory:

"And the Lord passed before (Moses) and proclaimed, “The Lord, the Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin..."

I think that, together with Galatians 5:22-23 on the Fruit of the Holy Spirit, is an excellent picture of what holiness looks like.

2016/2/21 7:48Profile
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

I've recently listened to another washer sermon where he talks about Gid holiness. If you were to ask people what it means that God is holy they would probably say something about moral purity. However, that is righteousness not holiness. When it is said the God is holy it means that He is unique. That He is set apart from all things. He is on a different level. Why does the scripture relate holiness to moral purity? Well when dealing with sinful depraved man kind what better way to show how God is set apart or unique then comparing God's moral purity with mans sinfulness.

2016/2/21 8:36Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Sister Lysa wrote:
"If God sees a man/woman as holy but someone doesn't, is that person still holy?"

That's a very good question, that speaks to the potential/literal question I had posed in another thread which I imagine might've prompted this one-

One way to answer your question but about the person who "doesn't see" rather than the person your question inquires about is with another question that speaks (for me) to the heart of the matter-

Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

My bible says God has washed us (believers) in the blood and have set us in heavenly places in Christ (Eph 2:6) and even purged our conscience of sin and (of course) given us power over sin and the charge to preach the gospel and set the captives free, etc.....
But I have found most do not confess this and therefore cannot be walking with the Lord per Amos 3:3- because if the Lord pronounced you holy by the blood of His son and yet you go around saying you're a sinner,... There remains no further sacrifice for you only the earnest expectation of judgement-
1 John 1-2 makes this really very clear, as it will only make sense one way. I've seen allot and have (myself) done allot of wrangling with 1 John
but in the end I was bending, shaping it to fit my understanding because what it was saying was just too unbelievable but now I believe+:)

2016/2/21 8:49Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

And again....

beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:
2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:

And again...

By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

And again...

God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin.

Now our Father who is in heaven, Holy is His name, says that His word (Jesus) will not return to Him void without first having completed everything set in it to complete. Jesus our savior said in the cross "it is finished".

So the only thing left for us to do is repent, and believe that His word is true and if we believe we will act in faith regarding that which we believe. Meaning if we believe that He made us holy, we will act/live in a manner consistent with our belief... If we believe we are still sinners then we walk in darkness and have not the truth (1 John) and we will continue to produce fruit consistent with unbelief.... sin:(

2016/2/21 9:19Profile

Re:

Quote:
by yuehan on 2016/2/21 3:08:33

The definition of holiness certainly deserves careful thought and exposition.

Holiness does involve being set apart from the world and is without sin. However, God was holy before the world and sin existed. So perhaps such a definition is akin to defining light as "not darkness" - it's a factual statement, but light is not defined by darkness.

For humans, holiness does involve separation unto God. But when God is said to be holy, is He separated unto Himself? Is that a satisfactory definition?

Any thoughts?

God was God, before creation. In a world with sin and Satan (after the fall) He defines for man what holiness is. He teaches man that He is separate from sin, evil and Satan and wants us to be also. Remember, God separated (cast out) Satan from heaven and in the end He will separate the wheat from the tares. For now, He calls us to be a people who separate ourselves unto Him and apart from sin. And He is calling His people in every generation to "come out" (separate ourselves) from Babylon so that we are not partakers of her sins and plagues.

You are right that light is not defined as darkness. Darkness is simply the absence (separation) of light, just as cold is the absence (separation) of heat.

John 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Same as he that does truth, separates himself from the darkness. THERE ARE ONLY TWO CHOICES. You cannot separate yourself from darkness without Christ. When we died in Him, our death separated us from Satan, unto Christ.

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye SEPARATE, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

2016/2/21 9:51

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy