SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is this binding upon us today.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Is this binding upon us today.

Matthew 28:18-20

All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you, and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

Mark 16:15

Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

Do these commands apply to us today?

2016/2/17 20:50
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: Is this binding upon us today.

Has the age ended? Is He still with us?

It applies. :)

2016/2/17 21:06Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Brother Blaine,

I def believe it is,
Having said this I have found a most unfortunate fact,... that there seems to be allot confusion as to what the gospel actually is which leads to conflicting teachings that actually compete with one another. Not that this is a new thing as we see it in the apostolic age (in scripture) as well but it does hinder the truth more so now than then (imo) due to the proliferation of these teachings themselves. For example it's a hard thing to preach the gospel to someone who believes they already have it even when it affords them no freedom from the power of sin nor joy in the Lord they nonetheless cling to it out of fear more so than faith. While this does not relieve us of our duty and if anything makes it incumbent upon us even more so, it does seem to have (at least in America) diluted the effect of the gospel going forth in its full power. It's like people know "about" Him but they don't "know" Him, so when the truth is presented to them if it doesn't line up with what they think they know about Him then it's most often rejected. Now we are told in scripture when this happens to just step off and let them be but I don't find that to be the practice of most, instead an unfortunate contention insues or they just agree to disagree which is a fruitless exchange and actually does damage (imo).

2016/2/17 21:19Profile

Quote:
by bearmaster on 2016/2/17 20:50:27

Matthew 28:18-20

All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you, and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

Mark 16:15

Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

Do these commands apply to us today?

The world is still here, why would His words not be relevant for today?

2016/2/17 21:38

Blaine

Was Jesus addressing all his people, everywhere and for all time when making those statements? Did he call everyone who was a believer to be a travelling evangelist from that day forward?

2016/2/17 21:54

Re:

We are not of the world but we should not keep to ourselves and only those of our fellowship. Go into the world does not mean we are traveling evangelists. But, technically speaking if you go to work, the store, restaurants and other places in your town, I guess you could call yourself a traveling evangelist.

2016/2/17 22:10
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Some quotes came to mind as this thread was meditated on,...

"Go into the world preaching the gospel,...and use words when necessary"

" If Christianity was banned tomorrow, is there enough evidence to convict you? Not talking about your Facebook page, your t-shirts, your bumper stickers as all these can be easily removed, but is your life so inextricably wrapped up in the life of Christ that you are unavoidably identified with Him?"

It's an interesting thing to note that the characters in the bible did not "call themselves christians" but were called Christians by those who observed them, their characters, the life they lived, by how joyful they were in trials/tribulations, by their love, by their willingness to lay themselves down. I wonder if we didn't call ourselves Christians would anybody believe we were by simply observing the lives we live?
Do we love like Him?
Walk like Him?
Talk like Him?
Do the things He did?
Are we lights in this world by the life we live?
Do we give hope?
Do we impart life?
Do we strive to maintain unity in our faith?
Do we care for one another?
Are we steadfast?
Are we holy?
How would our families and co-workers answer these about us?

I'm not suggesting "man pleasing" or seeking their approval but if we are living as Christ commands then it would be as obvious now as it was in the the first century,...

So let me ask is the gospel we live/preach good news....?
or is it some other something just wearing a Jesus t-shirt?
And I ask these things because the my bible says that we are the inheritors of a glorious kingdom and that others, when they see it, will be jealous and want it too...
Are the people around you jealous for a faith like yours?
Are they comforted by it?
Does your faith require of you/empower you to serve them?

Or a better question,... Do they want "your" Jesus?

2016/2/18 6:31Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Two young women in China set off to plant churches without plans or training because “Jesus said to ‘go.’” After we prayed, the Holy Spirit would tell us exactly what to do.

We would keep praying and he would tell us what to do,
and we would do it.

Then we prayed and then he would tell us what to do.

We would do it and keep praying.

2016/2/18 6:44Profile

Re:

Jesus said to the Father of his disciples: 'I have given them thy word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world. I pray that you would take them out of the world, even as I am not of the world, but that you keep them from evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, even so I have sent them into the world.' John 17:14-18

The 'world' here meaning the domain of darkness under Satan. Our commission by our Lord applies to all nations or people's. Everywhere on earth can be applied. So I agree with Julius, you may not go anywhere except to the neighbors or to the store or even to your church and we will encounter the nations and the world.
Sometimes we are told to 'go' somewhere extraordinary but oft times we are speaking to a lost soul right in front of us. I used to think I would be called to China or Russia or to a certain people group but usually that would be after reading or hearing some inspiring account or testimony. Nevertheless God has brought lost Chinese and Russians, Jews and Gentiles into my path right here in my path. One day I visited a Pakistani church and the Lord knit my heart together with a young Pakistani mother who is now back in Pakistan and I pray for those she encounters with her new found faith. Just saying we can waste precious time thinking we should be somewhere else.
Sister Leslie

2016/2/18 7:38

Re Stirred to Furthrr Reflection

My brothers and sister I thank you for responding to this question. I have always been taught that the Great Commission as articulated in Matthew 28:18-20 as well as other pertinent verses regarding reaching the lost did apply to us today. But I have been told that the commands to reach the lost were given specifically to the apostles. And they have no relevance to us. Needless to say was surprised to hear this. But personally I do not believe this is born out by New Testament teaching.

We read in the first part of Luke 9 that Jesus gave His apostles power and authority to drive out demons and heal diseases. Then He sends them out to say that the kingdom of God is near you and to perform healing.

Then in the first half of Luke 10 Jesus of seventy others and gives them the same power and authority to go to the villages and proclaim the gospel. It would seem to me then that the command to go in the power in the authority of Jesus is binding on us all. And even his power is given to all that go out in His name.

Just some thoughts that are stirring in my mind and heart as I read these heart stirring posts. I would welcome further feedback of what God is resonating in your hearts.

2016/2/18 8:10

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy