SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : 41 Evidences of Pride

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
moreofHim

41 Evidences of Pride

I thought I'd type up Nancy DeMoss's 41 Evidences of Pride since we cannot copy and paste from a pdf. This might be easier for those who want to share it. :)

Blessings, Chanin

----------------

1. Do you look down on those who are less educated, less affluent, less refined, or less successful than yourself?

2. Do you think of yourself as more spiritual than your mate or others in your church?

3. Do you have a judgemental spirit toward those who don't make the same lifestyle choices as you do... dress standards, how you school your kids, entertainment standards etc...?

4. Are you quick to find fault with others and to verbalize those thoughts to others? Do you have a sharp critical tongue?

5. Do you frequently correct or criticize your mate, your pastor or other people in position of leadership (teachers, etc...)

6. Do you give undo time, attention and effort to your physical appearance- hair, make up, clothing, weight, body shape, avoiding appearance of aging?

7. Are you proud of the schedule you keep, how disciplined you are, how much you are able to accomplish?

8. Are you driven to receive approval, praise, or acceptance from others?

9. Are you argumentative?

10. Do you generally think your way is the right way, the only way or the best way?

11. Do you have a touchy, sensative spirit? Easily offended? Get your feelings hurt easily?

12. Are you guilty of pretense? Trying to leave a better impression of yourself than is really true? (Would the people at church or body of believers be shocked if they knew what you wre like at home?)

13. Do you have a hard time admitting when you are wrong?

14. Do you have a hard time confessing your sin to God or others? (not just in generalities, but in specifics)

15. Do you have a hard time sharing your real spiritual needs/struggles with others?

16. Do you have a hard time praying aloud with others?

17. Are you exessively shy?

18. Do you have a hard time reaching out and being friendly to people you don't know at church?

19. Do you resent being asked or expected to serve your family, your parents or others?

20. Do you become defensive when you are criticized or corrected?

21. Are you a perfectionist? Do you get irked or impatient with people who aren't?

22. Do you tend to be controlling-of your mate, your children, friends, those in your workplace?

23. Do you frequently interrupt people when they are speaking?

24. Does your mate feel intimitated by your "spirituality"?

25. Does your mate feel like he/she never measure up to your expectations of what it means to be a good mate,etc.?

26. Do you often complain-about the weather, your health, your circumstances, your job, your church?

27. Do you talk about yourself too much?

28. Are you more concerned about your problems, needs, burdens than about others' concerns?

29. Do you worry about what others think of you? Too concerned about your reputation or your family's reputation?

30. Do you neglect to express gratitude for "little things"? To God? To others?

31. Do you neglect prayer and intake of the Word?

32. Do you get hurt if your acomplishments/or acts of service are not recognized or rewarded?

33. Do you get hurt if your feeling or opinions are not considered when your mate or boss is making a decision or if you are not informed when a change or a decision is made?

34. Do you react to rules? Do you have a hard time being told what to do?

35. Are you self-conscious because of your lack of education or natural beauty, or your socio-economic status?

36. Do you avoid participating in certain events, for fear or being embarrassed or looking foolish?

37. Do you avoid being around certain people because you feel inferior compared to them/don't feel you measure up?

38. Are you uncomfortable inviting people to your home because you don't think it's nice enough or you can't afford to do lavish entertaining?

39. Is it hard for you to let others know when you need help (practical or spiritual)?

40. When is the last time you said these words to a family member, friend, or co-worker: "I was wrong; would you please forgive me?" (If it's been more then a month, mark it down!)

and lastly....

41. Are you thinking how many of these questions apply to someone you know? Are you feeling pretty good that none of these things really apply to you? ....

www.reviveourhearts.com

2005/5/16 16:46Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: 41 Evidences of Pride

Great list, very challenging. I've decided to pass it down the line!

2005/5/16 19:03Profile

Re:

Leave it to a new person to resurrect an old thread, but this was exceptionally helpful Chanin.

Watchman Nee's book "Release of the Spirit" would call this the "self" life, but whatever Nancy calls it, is fine with me.

It's one thing to read a book about dying to self, but a handy list to check with frequently is a very good idea.

I like Nee cuz he always said to not trust ourselves. If ya know what I mean.

I'm glad to see that Nancy is reviving the teaching that 'was' so prevalent in the Classics.

Thanks !

2005/7/25 2:19
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re:

:-o well they dont ALL apply to me but far too many of them do thanx for the list

matt

2005/7/25 6:59Profile
moreofHim

Re: pride

GrannieAnnie,

thank you for bringing this back up. I can see I really needed to review it myself! :-o It is a shame how easily we fall in this area. One of my all time favorite books is Andrew Murray's "Humility"- and for good reason- it points out the things I need to desperately to work on. But pride dies hard. It creeps back in where you are not on guard, when you are focused on yourself and not on Christ alone.

I think this list and Nancy's list of Broken vs. Proud is a classic that I will never get tired of using. I'll post it below.

In Him, Chanin

2005/7/25 8:36Profile
moreofHim

Re: broken/proud

~~~~~~~~
~PROUD~
~~~~~~~~

Focus on the failures of others; they have a critical fault-finding spirit. They look at everyone else's faults with a microscope, but their own with a telescope

Have to prove that they are right

Are protective of their time, their reputation, and their rights

Desire to be served and be a success

Have a drive to be recognized and appreciated; they get wounded when others are promoted

Quick to blame others for their problems; are unapproachable or defensive when criticized

Keep others at arms length; find it difficult to share their spiritual need with others

Have a hard time saying, "I was wrong, will you please forgive me?"

Concerned about the consequences of their sin

Compare themselves to others and think they are doing alright. Don't think they have anything to repent of

Self-concious

Don't think they need reviving, cleansing - but they're sure everyone else does!

~~~~~~~~
~BROKEN~
~~~~~~~~~

Are overwhelmed with a sense of their own spiritual need. Therefore, they can esteem all others better than themselves.

Are willing to yield the right to be right

Have yielded their rights; have a meek spirit, self-denying.

Desire to serve others and make others a success.

Are thrilled that God would use them at all, they rejoice when others are lifted up

Quick to see when they were wrong; they recieve criticism with a humble spirit

Willing to be open, transparent and get close to others

Quick to admit failure and seek forgiveness.

Grieved over the cause, the root of their sin.

Compare themselves to the holiness of God and feel a desperate need for His mercy

Not concerned with self at all

Continually sense their need for a fresh encounter with God

2005/7/25 8:38Profile

Re:

Thank you Chanin, I got this one you just gave again off another thread last night too :-) , along with the post after yours on that same thread ...

Quote:

In the Flesh

1.Anger and retaliation to injury
2.Wounded by insult
3.Head swells from praise
4.A life of acquisitiveness and self-interest
5.When mistaken - “white” lie to save face

In the Spirit
1.Forgiveness with communication and prayer
2.Tender heart reaches out to the reviler
3.Lowly heart, gives God the glory
4.A life of devotion to God and selfless giving
5.Will simply say “Oh, I am sorry”

I hadn't had the time to really look over the whole site, until last nite... and when I found yours and this other poster's post, I copied and pasted them, where I could find them quickly.

I like things that make me yell - HELP LORD !

Also reminds me of the sorta Commentary that Martin Lloyd-Jones did on The Beatitudes.

That was inspiring, because it gave ya Hope, that if we see ourselves as poor & mourn because of it and hunger & thirst, He 'Shall' work (ye shall be filled and He will finish the work that He's begun).

I get stuck in the 'mourning' part a lot, so it helps, to go on to the other good parts, that speak of HIS faithfulness to "work in us, both to will and to do of His good pleasure" and Rom. 8:29 is one of my favorites too.

God Bless you Chanin and Thank you for posting these things up for us.

GA

2005/7/25 15:27
moreofHim

Re: Help Lord!

GA,

I can tell right away that i'm gonna like you! You said "I like things that make me yell- Help Lord!" Me too!!! I want to be convicted. I want to have a reason to change for my Lord.

Many christians think it is depressing and discouraging to listen and read convicting messages. They think believers like us have no "joy".

Well, my JOY comes in pleasing the Lord. My joy is knowing God is smiling down at me. My joy is His joy. Any joy that is apart from that is not real joy.

I know what you mean about getting stuck in the mourning part. I do love the fact that the Lord is the one working in us. He is the one calling us and drawing Himself to us so that we will want to change. He just wants us to be willing. As we have a willing heart, as we surrender ourselves, He will do the necessary changes.

In Him, Chanin

2005/7/25 16:26Profile

Re:

I liked you from the first post I read of yours, because, 1st, you can tell a lot about a person's personal desires by their sign-on name and then 2nd, when their posts reflect that desire.

I wanted to sign on with just my name, but someone already had it, so I picked what my 2 teeny-weeny grandbabies will call me, when they're old enough to talk. :-)

Your post above gave me goose bumps.

"More of HIM" ... t'ain't nuthin' else. amen !

Thank you for sharing your heart to mine.

Rom 5:(2-)5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

2005/7/26 0:18
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: 41 Evidences of Pride

Great list. I need to post this somewhere to remind me of who I am, and who HE is.

Yes. Less us, more Him.

2005/8/25 5:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy