SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : IS IT RIGHT!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
savannah

Re: one of the "elect"

JFW,

May I ask wether you believe Samson and Solomon to be of the "elect" according to the scriptures.

2016/2/25 22:28Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Savannah,

Thanks for your question-
Well that's just the thing, there seems to be different understandings as to what/who "elect" means exactly. That was why I attempted to get your understanding by posing the question I did. While there are (apparently) dif understandings, that doesn't mean they are intrinsically incompatable.
Having said that, my current understanding would prolly not be sufficient to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Blessings to you:)

Btw I don't kno wether you are a brother or sister (by your screen name) so I mean no disrespect by not adding that in addressing you-

2016/2/26 9:12Profile

Re:

Great question about Samson who is named by God the Holy Spirit as one of the great heroes of faith in Hebrews 11.

Samson was a type of Christ in the OT.

2016/2/26 11:51
savannah

Re: Samson

Julius21,

I do not want to assume that you are saying something that you are not, so please tell us plainly if you believe Samson to be present with the Lord being absent from the body.

Bless the LORD all his saints

2016/2/29 5:12Profile

Re:

Thanks Savannah.

I don't know.

2016/2/29 9:52
savannah

Julius21,

The great heroes of faith chapter ends with these words;

And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised, because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they should not be made perfect. Hebrews 11:39-40

What is the application to what goes before, specifically to Samson?

What are these words referencing?

Please tell me if you know!

2016/3/1 7:08Profile

Re:

We have this in Heb 5:9
And being made perfect, He became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Those who have eternal life are those who obey Him for even the demons believe. The One made perfect, is able to perfect those who turn to Him with all their heart in loving obedience, turning away from Satan, sin and the world.

Heb 7:19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

The "better hope" is Jesus Christ. Only He can do what the law could not do and that is to make us stand "perfect" before His Father.

The Holy Spirit is silent on the final disposition of the OT people and when Jesus led "captivity captive" and preached to the "spirits in prison", we do not know the outcome of who obeyed Him.

The Scriptural record reports that Jesus "descended into the lower parts of the earth" (Eph. 4:9) and "preached to the spirits in prison" (I Pet. 3:19), "even to those who are dead" (I Pet. 4:6), and "His soul was not abandoned to Hades" (Acts 2:27,31). Though we could wish for more details, they are not provided.

Matthew Henry has an interesting take on it, too.

It is observable that the Holy Spirit has not thought fit to say anything here of the faith of our first parents; and yet the church of God has generally, by a pious charity, taken it for granted that God gave them repentance and faith in the promised seed; that he instructed them in the mystery of sacrificing, that they instructed their children in it, and that they found mercy with God, after they had ruined themselves and all their posterity. But God has left the matter still under some doubt, as a warning to all who have great talents given to them, and a great trust reposed in them, that they do not prove unfaithful, since God would not enrol our first parents among the number of believers in this blessed calendar. - Henry.

2016/3/1 10:17
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Check with the wife for accuracy.

2016/3/1 16:33Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I also know someone who claims to be a christian who told me that they took one of the married women of their church to the abortion clinic and killed the baby.

Not believable.

2016/3/1 16:36Profile
savannah

Julius21 you failed to give Matthew Henry's take on Samson...here it is;

Samson, another instrument that God raised up to deliver Israel from the Philistines: his story we have in Judges 13, 14, 15, and 16, and from it we learn that the grace of faith is the strength of the soul for great service. If Samson had not had a strong faith as well as a strong arm, he had never performed such exploits. Observe, (1.) By faith the servants of God shall overcome even the roaring lion. (2.) True faith is acknowledged and accepted, even when mingled with many failings. (3.) The believer’s faith endures to the end, and, in dying, gives him victory over death and all his deadly enemies; his greatest conquest he gains by dying.

Nothing fills up the sins of any person or people faster than mocking and misusing the servants of God, even thought it is by their own folly that they are brought low. God put it into Samson's heart, as a public person, thus to avenge on them God's quarrel, Israel's, and his own. That strength which he had lost by sin, he recovers by prayer. That it was not from passion or personal revenge, but from holy zeal for the glory of God and Israel, appears from God's accepting and answering the prayer. The house was pulled down, not by the natural strength of Samson, but by the almighty power of God. In his case it was right he should avenge the cause of God and Israel. Nor is he to be accused of self-murder. He sought not his own death, but Israel's deliverance, and the destruction of their enemies. Thus Samson died in bonds, and among the Philistines, as an awful rebuke for his sins; but he died repentant. The effects of his death typified those of the death of Christ, who, of his own will, laid down his life among transgressors, and thus overturned the foundation of Satan's kingdom, and provided for the deliverance of his people. Great as was the sin of Samson, and justly as he deserved the judgments he brought upon himself, he found mercy of the Lord at last; and every penitent shall obtain mercy, who flees for refuge to that Saviour whose blood cleanses from all sin. But here is nothing to encourage any to indulge sin, from a hope they shall at last repent and be saved.

2016/3/1 16:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy