SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Baptism: Immersion, Pouring or Sprinkling?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

"Does a ring on a women's finger have NOTHING to do with her commitment to her husband? So is the same with our beloved Husband."

The ring is an outward symbol of her committment just as baptism is an outward ceremony of a persons (or their parents) committment to God. If the ring is lost? are they not still married? if person was never baptised but confesses Christ as their saviour aren't they still saved? I was baptised as an infant and remember nothing of it. the ceremony was undertaken for my parents and really has nothing to do with my salvation.

I'm not speaking out against it at all and wouldn't speak out against rings in the wedding ceremony, but both are unnecessary and some people may opt out.

Bub

2005/5/24 9:30
Crysddd

Re:

Jesus also said "unless you eat my fleah and drink my blood you have no life in you." when they were offended by this saying, he then said, " the flesh profits nothing, the words I speak to you are spirit and life." baptism cannot save anyone, but is an outward declaration of your commitment to Christ and is not reqired for salvation. If so then you tell the person who gets born again on their death bed then dies that they have to go to hell because they were not baptized in water.

2005/5/24 10:09Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
BTW, when's the last time you sacrificed a lamb on the alter? Not lately? Jesus made it unnecessary, as He did baptism. What else could be the point of "he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost." If you are baptized with the Holy Ghost why waste your time with water, expect for the outward ceremonial purposes?

It's a pity Peter isn't around so that you could ask him this question. When the household of Cornelius were 'baptised in the Holy Spirit' Peter reaction was to 'insist' that they be baptised. Acts 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Acts 10:48 And he [u]commanded[/u] them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Jake, it comes back to this same point every time. You will not submit your 'inner witness/intelligence' to the the testimony of scripture. And BTW I have never suggested that water-baptism' is necessary for salvation. I did not submit to water-baptism in order to achieve salvation but to please the Lord I loved. He gave specific instructions to his disciples;Matt. 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Matt. 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Matt. 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things [u]whatsoever I have commanded you[/u]: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. Jesus Himself is the one who baptises in the Holy Spirit so this 'commandment' was given to those who would water-baptism in His Name.

2005/5/24 11:35Profile
roadsign

Re: the weightier matters must come first

Quote:
Does a ring on a women's finger have NOTHING to do with her commitment to her husband?

Tragically far too many people are wearing rings who are unfaithful to their spouses.

It is no different in the Christian church. There are many who "wear a ring" expressing allegiance to Christ, but they are not faithful. Their affections are for this world, or their religious affilitions.
To me THIS IS THE ISSUE.

When Jesus said, "Go ...baptize.." He was commanding that his folowers call people from out of the world into a brand new kingdom - a complete change of loyalty and devotion. In his day, baptism was a puplic expression of that decision. It was a radical decision, a costly decision, a decision of death, and a decision to take a new life. It could mean being shunned, losing everything, including one's life. It is still that way in many parts of the world. A missionary friend told me that in Bangladesh it was not until new converts were baptized that their family and peers took their decision seriously. Not until after their public baptism do they faced serious persecution. Because that's when it was outwardly evident that they MEANT IT and there was no turning back.
It is not that way in our western culture. Many who are baptized don't necessarily give up any worldly affections. We have a big problem with hypocrisy in our culture.

Historically there have been many true believers who grew up in denominations that did not practise believers immersion, yet they wrote books, started Bible Schools, were intercessors, etc etc - all out of obedience and Spirit leading.
Whether they were right or wrong about baptism, the point is, God used the broken and humble. It is no different today. If one refuses to get baptized out of pride, then their heart isn't broken for God. If one is baptized while their devotion is split, then it simply a meaningless ritual.

Why strain the gnats while swallowing the camel? Why meticulously tithe while neglecting the weightier matters of obedience?

2005/5/24 13:24Profile

Re:

Alright folks, i have a reply to this, but for yet again, some reason i CANNOT reply, too long??

Well, i think im not gonna post on this anymore because of there is alot to state, but not much room to reply.

2005/5/24 15:21

Re:

eh,

2005/5/24 23:03

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy