SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mere Christianity

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Man0fG0d

Re:

Amen Oracio. Your last paragraph struck a nerve. The Bible says that faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. I'm afraid in this day and hour that to many rely on what so and so says instead of God says in His Word. People allow Jewish history books, bible commentaries, "Greek manuscripts of the Bible," opinions and thoughts of others, dictionaries, etc to replace a real relationship with the living God that comes through prayer and fasting only. Instead of trusting God and taking Him at His Word, some try to reference back to the history books and see how someone else interpreted that passage of scripture.

Paul told Timothy to preach the WORD, not anything else. This is where the church goes wrong is when we try to do it another way other than the way that God has ordained. To see real revival we must submit to God and get the fear of the Lord to come back in our lives. When the fear of God fell upon the church in the book of acts, then God was able to move mightily amongst the His people and the land. How can we expect others to believe the Bible when we who claim to be christians always look to books and other references to help us 'understand' passages we are uncomfortable with? We don't take God at His Word then blame Him or make excuses for lack of fruit/salvation/healings/deliverances.

Jesus is the Word made flesh, the only way to God and if we are to see God do mighty things through His people we must accept the Word the way God gave it to us and not as we wish it to be.

Blessings.

2016/1/4 16:28Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Sorry guy, CS Lewis is not a heretic. If you believe this about him you are in the very extreme minority.

I repeat, do not let any other person dictate to you what books to read or not read. Read them for yourself.

2016/1/4 17:40Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Here’s another quote from the book:

“There are three things that spread the Christ-life to us: baptism. belief, and that mysterious action which different Christians call by different names – Holy Communion, the Mass, the Lord’s Supper.”

Notice that Lewis includes the Catholic Mass as a valid way to “spread the Christ-life to us.”

2016/1/4 17:53Profile
brothagary

Re:

Oracio what you posted about Lewis in its context is a form of unaversalism,,,,,basic heracy,,,,that a Buddhist can belong to Christ ,by justification through good works ,and adherence to high morality, and teachings from other religions,,,,,if you preach this or write this ,you contradict Christ ,and preach a false gospel,,and hence are a false teacher or prophet,,,,,,,and in the true scenc of the word a heretic

2016/1/4 18:29Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

That's just it Gary- CS Lewis was decidedly NOT a universalist.

A great many leading evangelical teachers and leaders and pastors have named Mere Christianity as a major influence. Do you think leading evangelicals would say this if CS Lewis was a universalist??

Saying that certain aspects of certain religions seem to point to Jesus Christ is not the same thing as saying all roads lead to Christ. His point, in context, was that there are grains of truth in the worlds religions because God's truth sometimes breaks through. It doesn't mean they are "saved."

Gandhi acted more Christlike than probably 90% of all Christians. Why? He wasn't a Christian.

2016/1/4 20:05Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I would say he was an Inclusivist. Here's the basic definition of that term:

"Inclusivism posits that even though the work of Christ is the only means of salvation, it does not follow that explicit knowledge of Christ is necessary in order for one to be saved."

Universalism says that all people who have ever lived will be saved in the end, which differs from Inclusivism.

Again, in that quote I posted from Mere Christianity Lewis clearly states that people of other religions "belong to Christ without knowing it".

What else can he possibly mean in saying that they "belong to Christ without knowing it?"

Here's another quote from Mere Christianity:

"We do know that no person can be saved except through Christ; we do not know that only those who know Him can be saved by Him."

At best, Lewis seems confused within this same book. At one point he says those from other faiths belong to Christ without knowing it and at another point he says we cannot know for sure whether or not they are saved.

2016/1/4 20:49Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brother Oracio,
A verse came to mind as I read over these responses and I'd like to ask you a question,... Brother do you find that the apostle Paul was an Inclusivist?
If you answer no, may I ask for your take on Romans 2:13-16?
This (for me) seems to be what Lewis is talking about...

13 For merely listening to the law doesn’t make us right with God. It is obeying the law that makes us right in his sight. 14 Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. 15 They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right. 16 And this is the message I proclaim—that the day is coming when God, through Christ Jesus, will judge everyone’s secret life.

Btw I really enjoy your contributions to, insights into and passion for the cause of Christ+:) and it's in a spirit of meekness that this inquiry is submitted and not to challenge your position-

2016/1/4 21:20Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

But we say the same things about the natives in deep jungles that have never heard the name of Jesus. We do not know how God will deal with them- at least I am not going to make any definitive statement about that. However if he deals with them at all favorably it is because of what Jesus did, whether they know it or not.

[edit- I was typing this as you posted Fletcher. My comment is directed toward oracios last post which you also addressed. I think that is exactly what Paul was talking about]

2016/1/4 21:22Profile
MaryJane

Re: Mere Christianity

Greetings

I should have been more clear, I have actually been reading the book. It was suggested to me by a sister in CHRIST who loves the LORD dearly. I asked about it because I wonder what others have taken away from it. Now that I am more than half way through I will say that I like the book very much. Mr. Lewis wrote in a very easy manner it almost felt as if I were sitting having a conversation with him as I read. There are some areas of the book that I probably would not agree with but others that are so spot on I found myself saying yes LORD. He writes in one chapter in length about GOD wanting our entire heart, our whole life and will not settle for anything less. I felt very convicted in that because there are areas of my life that I have from time held back not wanting to deal with but I am thankful GOD does not do things my way and that HE is faithful to complete the work HE began in me.

There are many good seeds within the writing of this book and I feel I have grown in my walk with JESUS having read it but I can see the need to filter as I read. As the HOLY SPIRIT gives leading I glean from it what the LORD has for me and I leave the rest.

thank you for taking the time to respond and share the things the LORD has placed on your hearts.

God bless
mj

2016/1/4 21:30Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Thanks MJ.

It is also important to remember that CS was not an evangelical as we use the term- he was Anglican (episcopalian) and therefore has a somewhat different perspective on some aspects of the faith.

2016/1/4 22:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy