SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : 'Star Wars'-Themed Church Service?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Would you go to a movie if you knew they were going to be using your mother's name as a curse word in it? I'd guess that most here would answer no. If you are a child of God, how much worse is it when they use your heavenly Father's name as a curse word? Yet many Christians are willing not only to be entertained by such blasphemy but also to pay Hollywood for it.

2015/12/19 23:41Profile

Re:

We need to try and be careful and fair at the same time when we discuss this topic. To personally go to a country concert on a Sunday and a Church using the "Star Wars" films at the center of their worship are totally different scenarios.

I would say my views what I can do on a Sunday are probably not legalistic, some might think even a bit liberal. Eg I like hiking in the mountains which can involve weekends away with non Christian friends . Is it good or bad ? I know I'm still learning and growing and the Lord has corrected me in many areas in the last few years.

I know a little bit about "Star wars " but I never had a desire to watch the full length . Now i have just done a bit more reading about Hollywood and how the devil is involved (you can call it "illuminati ")
Now i know that under no circumstances will i go and watch the movie and pay the devil!

What should a Church do? God tells us in His Word how the early believers came together. I have already quoted from Acts 2, note what it says in v43: "Fear came to every soul. And many wonders and signs were done through the apostles." We don't see this today anymore because we don't practice what it says in v42 ! To become "seeker friendly" is not the answer and under no circumstances should the devil's movie come into the church.

What about discussing and comparing?
Discussing the dangers of the movie, Yes.
Comparing the "force " with God - i would say No Way ! and I'm using mild words here. God said to Moses "I am who I am " -
"the name I AM WHO I AM is that God’s personality and power are owing solely to himself and to no other." (John Piper)

We all would like to see a new revival, a new manifestation of God's power.
We can not short cut what it says in Scripture and substitute His instructions with the devil's work.
Blessings

2015/12/20 3:01
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

Totally agree they are different scenarios. I was referring to those who had mentioned even going to watch the movie. Going to the concert and watching the movie I believe are the same scenario. And can I lovingly say that going to see a movie is not "paying the devil". Again be careful not to put your convictions on other people. If one is going to be this strict in this area then you have to be this strict in every area. If you claim that watching Star Wars for example is unholy then don't eat at McDonald's because your body is the temple and you are destroying it. Do you see how out of control it can get?

“All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭10:23‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Let clarify my tone because I don't want anyone to misread what I'm saying. This is post is with love in my heart. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyone. I just believe that in our good intentions we can lean towards a little legalism. Find rest in the grace and mercy that has been provided for us in our Saviour. And in all we do whether refrain from the theatre or we go. lets do it for the glory of God!

2015/12/20 3:31Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Guess I better avert my eyes from looking at a Van Gogh painting. That guy was a sinner.

I can't buy a book from a bookstore because in so doing I am supporting a store that sells other non-Christian books. The same goes for any purchase I might make in any store. My purchase of toothpaste is supporting someone else's sin.

2015/12/20 8:05Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

There's a big difference between purchasing things from the world that are necessary, such as food, clothing, etc., and buying things from the world for entertainment purposes, things that involve compromising biblical standards of morality or holiness. One is of necessity and the other is not, it's for entertainment.

Again I ask, would you go see a movie if you knew they were going to drag your mother's name through the dirt as a curse word?

2015/12/20 10:25Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Oracio I hear people doing that many times every day in many places. We all know the world is corrupt.

The Van Gogh analogy is right on. People look at his paintings or any work of art for entertainment. Many artists, writers, etc lived sordid lives. Are their works to be shunned by Christians? If you think so, we are simply not on the same page but that's ok.

I know of no person who goes to a Star Wars movie to learn more about Buddhism. They go because of the epic storyline. Nor have I ever heard of a person who became a Buddhist because they watched Star Wars. Quite frankly I don't see Buddhism at all in any of the movies. That's a stretch.

2015/12/20 13:40Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty" ( 2Cor. 6:17-18).

2015/12/20 13:55Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

TMK, I would not break fellowship with you or any believer over this disagreement on this movie. That being said, I believe I am "at liberty" to express my opinion on it and denounce any "dark" aspects of it.

Respectfully, the Van Gogh analogy is not correct to use here because those paintings do not contain objectionable content in them (as far as I know), whereas this new film does contain that.

Also, there is a big difference between being forced to hear people use God's name as a curse word and paying to be entertained by such. The same goes for profanity in general. Many Christians pay to hear other types of wicked cussing, and to see all kinds of immorality which God's Word utterly condemns and commands us to have nothing to do with.

"And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them."-Ephesians 5:11

Towards Buddhism, my point was that this whole thing of "The Force" has Buddhist and Hindu overtones and the evidence for that seems pretty clear and overwhelming I think (read my previous post dealing with that slowly and carefully :)).

2015/12/20 15:50Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: 'Star Wars'-Themed Church Service?

I think it is ok to refer to other stories or literature in preaching but using it to such an extent is an aberration.

I would not want to be facing God on judgment day and have to give an answer for such nonsense.

Man is fascinated about epic sagas. Hollywood preys on that making zillions of $s.

Fact is that the real battle for souls is infinitely more tragic.

2015/12/20 15:56Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Never got into Star Wars, but I do like Robert Duvall movies, Open Range, and Lonesome Dove two of my favorites, should I prepare myself to burn forever?

2015/12/20 16:19Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy