SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : 'Star Wars'-Themed Church Service?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 'Star Wars'-Themed Church Service?

A church will host an unusual pre-Christmas service on Sunday — with the "Star Wars" films put at the center of their worship.

Members of the congregation at Berlin's Zions Church will be greeted with the theme music from the blockbuster series and can expect to hear about "the juxtaposition of good and bad, light and dark" during the one-hour event, church minister Eva-Maria Menard told NBC News.

Short excerpts from trailers and the George Lucas movies will be shown on a screen below the pulpit.

Vicar Ulrike Garve said that the service will expose "the theological motives and parallels in the Star Wars episodes." ...

read more: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/star-wars-themed-church-service-highlight-parallels-n480171

2015/12/18 6:14Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: 'Star Wars'-Themed Church Service?

Art Katz has used Shakespeare extensively in some of his sermons and he went to great lengths comparing Muhammad Ali's comeback training to the grit necessary to be a true disciple.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using movies etc to make spiritual points as long as it is done correctly. In fact I am sure it can be quite powerful.

Let's face it- many millions of Christians will go see Star Wars, me included. Might as well find spiritual parallels if we are able.

2015/12/18 7:31Profile
gators52

Central Florida

Re:

Just ridiculous.

2015/12/18 7:45Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

I think that given the extreme interest in the series and themes, it would be useful to educate people biblically on the spiritual themes in SW. How best to do that? Well, clips help. I agree with TMK that it CAN be done correctly.

I don't believe turning a gathering of believers into a SW party is correct. I have been part of a church that was given to such tactics, did them as "well" as they could but they bore no fruit and were no materially different than a party.

BTW I am 48 and have never watched any of the Star Wars films fully. I do not care to. But, I liked the Matrix and it was nothing other than a visually rich, hi-tech sci-fi rip off of the New Testament.

2015/12/18 9:18Profile

Re:

"Entertainment is the world's substitute for joy." -Leonard Ravenhill- and it is a distraction to a believer in Jesus. Watch and pray, for you know not when the time is. -Mark 13:33

2015/12/18 12:49

Re:

Quote: "comparing Muhammad Ali's comeback training to the grit necessary to be a true disciple. "
Paul wrote : 1 Corinthians 9 v 24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.
If a preacher has that verse in mind and then uses a sports person that is well know to the audience to further illustrate a point then i don't see much of a problem.

But Star Wars is different. God does not need any help from Hollywood!
"Most of your Hollywood celebrities and musical stars are members of a little known satanic cult group called Ordo Templi Orientis, or simply OTO."

“The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity.”
Leonard Ravenhill

Acts 2:42 They continued steadfastly in the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of bread and in the prayers. 43 Fear came to every soul. And many wonders and signs were done through the apostles.

2015/12/18 17:52
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Y'all are too holy for me. God bless you!

2015/12/18 23:00Profile
proudpapa

George Walton Lucas, Jr. (born May 14, 1944) is an Academy Award-winning Buddhist American film producer, screenwriter, director and chairman of Lucasfilm Ltd. He is best known for being the creator of the epic Sci-Fi franchise Star Wars and the archaeologist-adventurer character Indiana Jones. Today, Lucas is one of the American film industry's most financially successful independent directors/producers, with an estimated net worth of $3.9 billion.

In 1969, Lucas married film editor Marcia Lou Griffin, who went on to win an Academy Award for her editing work on the original Star Wars film. George and Marcia adopted a daughter, Amanda, in 1981, and divorced in 1984. Lucas has since adopted two more children: Katie, born in 1988, and Jett, born in 1993. All three of his children have appeared in the three Star Wars prequels, as has Lucas himself. Lucas had been in a long relationship with and engaged to singer Linda Ronstadt. He has been dating Mellody Hobson, president of Ariel Investments, since 2007 and she has accompanied him to several events including the 79th Academy Awards ceremony in February 2007, an American Film Institute event in October 2007 and the 2008 Cannes Film Festival held in May. He supported Barack Obama for President in 2008.

Lucas was born and raised in a strongly Methodist family. After inserting religious themes into Star Wars, he would eventually come to identify strongly with the Eastern religious philosophies he studied and incorporated into his movies, which were a major inspiration for "the Force." Lucas eventually came to state that his religion was "Buddhist Methodist." Lucas resides in Marin County.

http://religion.wikia.com/wiki/George_Lucas

2015/12/18 23:22Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Ok-

Let's back up a tad here. No one (at least not me) is advocating showing star Wars in church as an evangelical tool. I have no doubts at all that Star Wars was NOT intended to be a Christian movie or even intended Christian undertones. Lord of the Rings and Narnia- yes. Star Wars, no.

The question, at least for me, is whether a movie like Star Wars can be used, especially with a certain element in today's population, to make spiritual points, or even to start a discussion along spiritual lines. Of course it can.

How about "Do you know there really is a "Force?" He's called the Holy Spirit."

Come on folks. Let's admit that you would make a lot more headway with a teenage Star Wars fan using that tactic than quoting Leonard Ravenhill. Leonard Ravenhill is awesome, but outside of this forum I am not sure that I have ever heard him mentioned.

2015/12/19 9:11Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

What is wrong with the Scriptures that one has to resort to the works of evil men to attract people to the house of the LORD?

I suspect if one has to resort to evil men to bring people into your physical plant all they are doing is playing church. Hey! I think we children did far better when we were little and played church...

Just read in Exodus 34 where God issues stern warnings against his people adopting the ways of the heathen when they get to Canaan. This sentiment is repeated in the NT when it tells us to not love the world...

People just do not love the WORD. That is the bottom line. When I read, study the WORD I feel like God is saying, "Come with me I want to show you something." So, here I am, I have a ringside seat watching, observing what is being described in the text I am reading. I find myself being awed and amazed and left with a sense of seeing God and a huge "WOW"! Seeing a segment of "Star Wars" film in this context would be contaminating...

My God is bigger then that.

Sandra

2015/12/19 9:54Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy