· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Revival - God's finger pointing at ME

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

Revival - God's finger pointing at ME

My account of personal revival:
For many years I regarded myself as one of the best Christians around. I was very dedicated to church and God. I was baptized twice - as an infant, and then when I "got saved" at 17 y.o.
I will never forget the day at a youth retreat, when the girls were together in a dorm, and we were asked to give the date that we got saved. I didn't want to be the only one without a date. So I prayed the "sinner's prayer" - just as I was instructed. As always, I was eager to do whatever it took to fit in. I remember praying out loud, "Lord Jesus please forgive my sins.", but thinking to myself "I can't think of any sins."

After that I was accepted by the group. Everyone was excited that I got saved. I got to join the choir, get baptized and become a member. Oh the bliss of fitting in and belonging!! No more fear of rejection,loneliness...!! I enjoyed the blessings God was sending on the church at that time.

For years after that I always went to both church services. I never missed prayer meeting - even sometimes hiring a babysitter so I could go to church. It felt good. I learned a lot. The church folk were nice to me. No matter where we lived, the church people assumed that I was saved.

However, all that time I was relying on my works and man's validation. Thankfully God didn't leave me in my dark self-deceived dellusion. About fifteen years ago my life fell apart with health, family, church troubles etc. During that time, the Spirit stirred my heart to pray for revival. Really I had no clue what revival was; I just knew that it was needed.

I discovered that God's finger was pointing at me and showing me my own need for revival. That was shocking. I begged God to do whatever it took to make me right with him. Through various painful experiences for several years I discovered my many, many sinful hypocritical ways. I realized that I had INVITED THE CHURCH INTO MY HEART TO BE MY SAVIOR. (unconsciously) That's why the church was so important to me. Church was my idol. (By the way too many pastors love it when their members give their hearts to the church. Those pastors merely reinforce the delusion.)

Here is more of my story: "Healed from Chronic Fatigue - Finding God's Rest" http://www.thewayback.net/articles/healed.htm By the way, this testimony was rejected by an organization looking for speakers for ladies groups - because "it doesn't explain how to get saved".
I feel like I no longer fit into the pegholes that I once fit into so well. That seems to be one of the many costs of revival.

PS Even those who pray zealously for revival may not necessarily accept it when it is happening - because revival is messy. God takes away our polish - and that doesn't look good or feel good - esp to those relying on outer image.

2005/5/13 9:35Profile
rookie

Re: Revival - God's finger pointing at ME

Sister Diana

I can't bring up the address you posted here.

Otherwise, yes, revival starts with each heart being cut assunder by the power of God. The circumcision not made with the hand but through the word of God being implanted by God into the center of our beings. That is the only way. Preach on Sis.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/13 11:04Profile
roadsign

Revival - God's finger pointing at me

Link should be okay now. Yes, true salvation is from God - being born from above - the Spirit. And I agree with Ravenhill - the process takes more than four minutes at the altar in a church service. It is a total life revolution. (repentance)
Diane

2005/5/13 11:38Profile
Tears_of_joy

Quote:
I discovered that God's finger was pointing at me and showing me my own need for revival. That was shocking. I begged God to do whatever it took to make me right with him.

Yes. I stopped to pray about revival in my church, in my town, when I discovered that I should be revived first. My conscience was not clear when I knew that I should get right my own heart towards Him.

I read this somewhere about "Billy Sunday who was once asked how can one start a revival to which he responded get some chalk and draw a circle on the floor. Now stand inside the circle and pray that God would give revival to all that is inside the circle.
The point is that it must start with us We need people that just know God"

Sister thank you for sharing this, I believe that God will send it!

2005/5/13 18:26Profile

Re:

Thank you for your testimony here. I can identify with parts of it and the unique way God draws each one of us into a deeper knowledge of Himself. However tortuous the route, we acknowledge He was in there [i]with[/i] us.

I first began to pray for revival for myself when I was introduced to this hymn. I was [b][i]shocked[/i][/b] by the prospect revival was not a group experience! but quickly reckoned that if I was serious about being part of any revival which hit our church, I had better have sung it with genuine intention to be revived, sooner rather than later! Then, it became one of my favourite hymns in its season.

[url=http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/s/e/searchme.htm]http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/s/e/searchme.htm[/url]

Search me, O God,
And know my heart today;
Try me, O Savior,
Know my thoughts, I pray.
See if there be
Some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin
And set me free.

I praise Thee, Lord,
For cleansing me from sin;
Fulfill Thy Word,
And make me pure within.
Fill me with fire
Where once I burned with shame;
Grant my desire
To magnify Thy Name.

Lord, take my life,
And make it wholly Thine;
Fill my poor heart
With Thy great love divine.
Take all my will,
My passion, self and pride;
I now surrender, Lord
In me abide.

[b]O Holy Ghost,
Revival comes from Thee;
Send a revival,
Start the work in [i]me[/i][/b].
Thy Word declares
Thou wilt supply our need;
For blessings now,
O Lord, I humbly plead.

Another hymn which touched me deeply, deeply, was this, to the tune of Nearer my God to Thee. I can't find the words and tune connected anywhere on the web but they are prayerful and powerful, if they are right for this moment in your life. I don't offer them as a 'formula' but rather as an insight to how a soul is revived, when the Holy Spirit ministers this truth when you are / I am ready for it.

[url=http://www.trinityboyschoir.co.uk/multimedia/index_multimedia.html]http://www.trinityboyschoir.co.uk/multimedia/index_multimedia.html[/url]
Click the music icon at the Nearer my God to Thee 'line'.

Wash me, O Lamb of God,
Wash me from sin!
By Thine atoning blood,
O make me clean!
Purge me from every stain,
Let me Thine image gain,
In love and mercy reign,
O'er all within.

Wash me, O Lamb of God,
Wash me from sin!
I long to be like Thee -
All pure within.
Now let the crimson tide,
Shed from Thy wounded side,
Be to my heart applied
And make me clean.

Wash me, O Lamb of God,
Wash me from sin!
I will not, cannot, rest
Till pure within.
All human skill is vain,
But Thou canst cleanse each stain,
Till not a spot remain -
Made wholly clean.

Wash me, O Lamb of God,
Wash me from sin!
By faith Thy cleansing blood
Now makes me clean.
So near art Thou to me,
So sweet my rest in Thee -
Oh! blessed purity,
Saved, saved from sin!

Wash me, O Lamb of God,
Wash me from sin!
Thou, while I trust in Thee,
Wilt keep me clean.
Each day to Thee I bring
Heart, life - yea, everything;
Saved while to Thee I cling,
Saved from all sin!

[b]1 John 1:7[/b]
But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

2005/5/13 22:22
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Hi Diane...

Wow, what a quote:

" I realized that I had INVITED THE CHURCH INTO MY HEART TO BE MY SAVIOR. "

2005/5/13 22:34Profile
roadsign

Re: I asked the church into my heart

Quote:
I realized that I had INVITED THE CHURCH INTO MY HEART TO BE MY SAVIOR.

The revelation of this did not come suddenly. It came over a long period of time - starting about 20 years ago. Some bad things were happening in church - bad enough to be a bad testimony in the community. I was troubled. One day I was so frustrated with how the pastor was handling things that I cried out to God, "Lord, what do you want ME to do about this?" I opened my Bible and saw clearly these words, "Minister to the minister." Now we all know that these words are NOT anywhere in scripture, however the meaning is there. The Spirit was speaking bluntly to me.

Suddenly the "lights came on". I suddenly saw God's finger pointing at ME. The Lord revealed to me that my frustration and concerns were more a product of my selfishness rather than a godly love. In spite of my dedication, I really wanted the church to meet MY needs and be my security. I had expected the pastor and the entire church system to do for me what it couldn't. They were needy sinners, just like me. I wasn't thinking about the neediness of others in the church - including the pastor. I wasn't thinking of how I could minister to those needs.

That very day I asked God to do whatever it took to make me the kind of person he wanted me to be. Shortly after that everythig fell apart.
It would yet be several years, through many trials, before I fully realized that I had never really put my trust in God - but instead in the church. In other words, I wasn't really saved at all!!!!!

PS. I suspect that often grumbing about church has an idolatrous (though unconscious) root. On the other hand one's "love" for church can also be idolatrous.

Diane

2005/5/14 8:26Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy