SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : IRS proposes churches, other nonprofits get Social Security numbers from donors

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

IRS proposes churches, other nonprofits get Social Security numbers from donors

An Obama administration proposal to have some nonprofit charities report the Social Security numbers of donors giving at least $250 in one year is raising concerns about security, government overreach and another episode of IRS targeting.

“There's a big caution here. There's a big yellow light that should be flashing for a couple of reasons,” Illinois Republican Rep. Peter Roskam tells Fox News.

Mitchell argues that the IRS cannot be trusted and that the change could have a devastating impact on charities’ ability to collect enough money to survive.

The change would impact organizations that fall into the 501 (c)(3) category, which includes churches and other religious or charitable groups.

The Internal Revenue Service states the proposed change would be optional. But skeptics question whether it will eventually become the only option.

“It's the No. 1 regulation that people are commenting upon,” attorney Cleta Mitchell recently told Fox News.

Mitchell argues that the IRS cannot be trusted and that the change could have a devastating impact on charities’ ability to collect enough money to survive.

“It would have a dramatic effect on donors' decisions on whether or not to contribute,” she said. “You'd see a lot of $249.99 contributions to every charitable organization in America. It's preposterous.”

The IRS has responded to such arguments by recently releasing a statement that attempts to clarify “major misimpressions and inaccuracies.”

The agency said the change was proposed in September in part because some taxpayers who were being audited -- or “under exam” -- say they lost their donation records and that charities also having a record would help them verify deductions.

“This project was prompted because some … organizations and donors were interested in using this option,” the agency stated. “This proposal would impose no mandatory changes to existing rules.”

Mitchell represents the conservative-leaning group TRUE the VOTE, which says it has already been harassed by the IRS, the federal government’s tax collector.

The agency admitted in 2013 that it had from roughly April 2010 to April 2012 targeted Tea Party and other conservative-leaning groups applying for tax-exempt status.

Some of those groups included those under the 501(c)(3) status.

That tax-exempt status strictly forbids them from participating in political campaigns, though they can spend a fraction of their efforts on such activities as lobbying on legislative issues and holding forums and publishing voter-registration records.

The 2013 revelation led to the firing of an IRS commissioner and probes by the Justice Department, Congress and others. However, no criminal charges were brought.

The deadline is Dec. 16 to submit public comment to the IRS on the proposed change.

Roskam also argues that the request for a full Social Security number comes at a time when banks, utilities, cable TV companies and others are asking customers for only the last four numbers, amid widespread identity theft.

“When the whole rest of the world from a technological view is moving away from using Social Security numbers, the IRS is moving toward them,” he said. “I think we ought not go that route right now.”

Roskam and others are also concerned about the nonprofit groups’ ability to protect the private information they will collect from donors.

“Charities are not well equipped to deal with this,” he said. “We've had for-profit companies -- some of the biggest companies in the world -- that have spent millions and millions and millions of dollars trying to protect their confidential data. And it's been hacked and it's been breached.”

Mike Emanuel currently serves as chief congressional correspondent for FOX News Channel (FNC). He joined FNC in 1997 as a Los Angeles-based correspondent.

2015/12/7 20:39
proudpapa

Re: IRS proposes churches, other nonprofits get Social Security numbers from donors

When we had to take one of my children to the emergencey room, they asked a number of questions including asking our religion and if we had any guns in the house.

2015/12/7 21:49Profile

Re:

Really? Why do you think they asked your religion? They are making it harder to request exemption from vaccines, too.

They are getting very, very personal. It is called control. Society is falling apart and they need to get their controls in place, quickly. Of course it's always for our protection, or health or some other pretext. Many diseases that were eradicated have come back since our borders are no longer protected.

My doctor hasn't asked me about firearms, yet.

2015/12/7 22:04
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

It is a standard practice to ask what church you attend or your religion. They do this to contact a pastor or to know what chaplain to send to visit you. It is a kind gesture to ask this.
About the gun issue...never heard of them asking that. Unless possibly it was a gun accident. Otherwise, it doesn't concern them.

2015/12/7 22:09Profile
proudpapa

Re:

///by JB1968 on 2015/12/7 22:09:22
It is a standard practice to ask what church you attend or your religion. They do this to contact a pastor or to know what chaplain to send to visit you. It is a kind gesture to ask this.
About the gun issue...never heard of them asking that. Unless possibly it was a gun accident. Otherwise, it doesn't concern them.///

No , It was new rules from the Obama Care act.

My Wifes sister is a Doctor and her and her husband own a clinic in OK, we asked them about it, they said it was new rules from the Obama Care, but I think they said they have changed it,
It was about a years ago

and they did not ask about or church or pastor, just our religion: we just answered Christian

2015/12/7 22:19Profile

Re:

JB, I do know that under ObamaCare doctors have been instructed to ask if the patient has firearms. I don't know what the reason is and I have not been asked. Interestingly, my doctor the other day told me she had a pistol and kept it close by. I think San Bernardino came up in conversation. Now, I realize why she hasn't asked my family about firearms.

2015/12/7 22:23
proudpapa

Re:

RE: ///Really? Why do you think they asked your religion?///

according to my inlaws, the excuse they where given to report such information was said to be for statistical purposes
add : anything more than that is conspiracy, but it is alarming

2015/12/7 22:26Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

I'm in my 40's and they have been asking the religion question since I was a child. I'm not offended and it is too easy to get caught up in the conspiracy mentality. If a person doesn't want to answer, they don't have to.

2015/12/7 22:42Profile

Re:

Strange, I have never been asked the religion question. Never even knew it was asked. Is this regardless of geographical location such as the North, South, East or West?

2015/12/7 23:11
proudpapa

Re:

I am not 40 but I never recall ever being asked before either, everyone, I have talked to except for my inlaws thought it strange.

As I said My wifes sister is a Doctor her and her husband own a clinic, He is head over the paper work . He said it the reason for asking the questions was supposedly for statistical purposes ,
As I said ,I believe he might have said they stoped doing it.

2015/12/7 23:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy