SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Being Spiritually Guided by the Grammar

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

I often wonder at God about this in a way. Yes, the grammar is crucially, vitally important. We may not be language experts in even English, but we know that words matter. God the Holy Spirit is more than equal to the task of bridging our understanding and the precision of the grammar, and I'm thankful for that.

In another way, I pause, though. I ask God, "Is it right for me to think that we are in the time of the end since knowledge has sped us away from knowing You? Since our general knowledge in the world increasingly is void of the knowledge of Your word? Since your words as given are more twisted than ever as our knowledge increases in volume, content and in its rush to reject You?"

Even the church (American, anyway) rejects the knowledge of the Word of God. Even the church now minimizes the indispensability of the Bible to our lifeline in Christ. The explosion of entertainment churches where the Bible is ignored, the prosperity of programmatic churches where the Bible is a program guide and a prop, and the withering of small churches where there often is just despair and mundane worldliness all testify to this.

2015/11/10 10:42Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I too want to express my amen to bearmasters points. I personally think there's a time and place for both methods as God can and does use both methods to equip His people in the knowledge of His Word.

On the side of the OP, if we have the ability of understanding the original languages, and/or tools accessible to help in that regard, why not take advantage of that? I have found that certain tools such as lexicons have helped at times, especially when there are different views among Christians on the meanings of certain words in certain passages (of course, the context is also key). I think Paul the Apostle is a prime example in Scripture of how God can use a highly educated person and his intellectual talents for His glory. In Acts we see him often using his intellectual skills as he debated in the synagogues with the learned rabbis of his day. But Paul was very balanced in terms of using His intellectual skills and depending on the Holy Spirit; as he writes in 1 Cor. 2:4, “My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power.”

But on the other hand, if we do not have those types of capabilities or tools available, God is definitely more than able to lead us into all truth by His Spirit; He will still illuminate His Word to our hearts and minds as we seek for understanding from Him with humble hearts. And He will fill us with His Spirit and empower us to carry out His will for our lives. I’m reminded of Acts 4:13, “Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus.”

2015/11/10 13:16Profile

Re:

Oracio I would agree bro. I think there is a place for both. But you keep it all for the glory of God. So agree. For His glory!!!

2015/11/10 13:34
proudpapa

Re: Being Spiritually Guided by the Grammar

One of the great Mysteries of the Bible, unlike that of a legal document is that it works like a Rorschach test.

2015/11/10 15:10Profile

Re:

Quote: "it works like a Rorschach test "

I have to strongly disagree here.
Definition of Rorschach test: "a type of projective test used in psychoanalysis, in which a standard set of symmetrical ink blots of different shapes and colours is presented one by one to the subject, who is asked to describe what they suggest or resemble."

This has absolutely nothing to do with God's Holy Word and the work of the Holy Spirit.

2015/11/10 15:39
dolfan

Re:

I think he simply meant that the Bible reveals our thoughts and intents of our hearts, which is mysterious. He probably sees the old Rorshach exercise as doing that on a fleshly level and kind. I think he was probably making a bit of a joke, too.

2015/11/10 15:45Profile

Re:

The mystery of the Word of God is that we can read it or listen to it several times and always get deeper revelation. At the risk of being hokey. I have always said there are no summer reruns with the Word of God.

2015/11/10 15:56
proudpapa

Re:

RE:/// "a type of projective test used in psychoanalysis, in which a standard set of symmetrical ink blots of different shapes and colours is presented one by one to the subject, who is asked to describe what they suggest or resemble."///

Depending on the heart set of the subject whom reads the Scripture, what is percieved can greatly vary.

My own experience testifies to that truth as well as the Scriptures themselves one example is 2 cor 3:15

2015/11/10 16:52Profile

Re:

I think we are in agreement that it's the Holy Spirit gives life to the words that are on the page. So that begs a question. Is there such a thing as a Rhema word of God? Also can we make a distinction between the Living Word of God and the written Word of God?

I guess what I'm asking is does God always speak to us through the words that are on the page? Or does the Holy Spirit speak in other ways? At this point maybe I don't know what I'm asking. Ok thought I would put this out for discussion. Not trying to hijack the thread. But just trying to think through some of the questions this thread has generated in my mind.

2015/11/10 19:14
dolfan

Re:

Regarding rhema, at least, it is misused by my pentecostal brethren and the charismatics to mean specifically some unction in real time. It may mean that, but it is exceptional and not the rule. I would share a sermon slash teaching I presented to a very cold audience at the pentecostal church I used to belong to, but it is too long for here.

We have a rhema. It is the instructive word of God that we obey. It exists as Scripture primarily.

2015/11/10 20:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy