Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : For What It Is Worth, a suggestion

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
dolfan

Alabama

For What It Is Worth, a suggestion

We are in a time where printed bibles may become scarce and illegal.

I am foregoing a read-through of the Bible next year, I think, in favor of committing long passages to memory. John Piper has recommended it in years past as a spiritual growth tool, and others who have this concern of bible possession in the times upon us have also.

Here is a link to a PDF book, free, for memorization techniques for long passages. http://www.fbcdurham.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Scripture-Memory-Booklet-for-Publication-Website-Layout.pdf

The post by bro Greg about Corrie Ten Boom motivated me to share this thought with you, for what it is worth.

2015/11/6 21:49Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: For What It Is Worth, a suggestion

I memorized Phillipians a few years ago but quite honestly it was so hard that I never tried again. I don't have it memorized any longer.

I know an awful lot of the bible but not from exact memory. I know enough that I could pass a multiple choice test of the wording in most cases- especially the NT.

I have often toyed with the idea of memorizing the outlines of the books of the bible or at least the NT so I could be reminded where each passage is. While I may not have it all committed to exact memory I remember enough of the gist to sort of fill in the blanks.

2015/11/6 22:50Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

"A number of Americans were captured in Vietnam. They then decided to write a Bible for themselves in prison from memory. Each person quoted verses he knew from the Bible. It started off with a flourish. One after another they quoted Bible verses, as one wrote them down on a piece of paper.

Too soon they realized how limited their Bible knoweldge was. Except for John 3:16, Psalm 23, the 'out father' and the 'ten commandments', they could remember only a few more verses. They stared at one another dejectedly; in an hour they had perhaps twenty verses. They kept on trying, only to discover that they were confusing one verse with another.

It was obvious. The word of God did not dwell in them richly. No matter how hard they tried, they could not quote any more verses correctly. 'Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly. (Colossians 3:16).'

The Bible is a banned book in times of persecution. In China, Laos and Vietnam, the Communists either burned or confiscated thousands of Bibles. When the Christians assembled, they could do little more than the American prisoners of war. They tried to quote the Bible but did not get very far. The reason was simple. While they lived in freedom they had not seen the need for Bible memorization. Why exert yourself by learning Bible texts if you have a Bible on your bookshelf?

When the Christians saw the necessity of Bible memorization, it was too late. One cannot attempt to learn bible verses once the Bibles have been confiscated or burned. It takes time and it must start while there is still freedom."

- Jan Pit, from "Persecution: It will never happen here?"

2015/11/6 23:01Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I am certainly not trying to downplay memorizing scripture but just trying to be realistic. Most people would be unable to memorize long passages of scripture. Most people do not read through the Bible on a year- can't imagine how a person would memorize the Bible. I know it has been done buts it's exceedingly rare. Even Jesus needed to ask for the scroll when he read from Isaiah.

We might be better off copying out the scriptures into something that doesn't look like a bible- like notebooks or books that have fake covers on the outside. Writing out the bible by hand would be a great way to learn it.

2015/11/7 1:18Profile
passerby

Re:

Comprehension, application, analysis and making sound judgement from abiding principles in the bible are more enabling aspects of learning than simple recall of verses.

2015/11/7 4:26Profile

Re:

As the old Nike commercial used to say, just do it. God has blessed us with a number of good translations and Bible apps. It may take some experimentation to find the right program that works for you.

Over the years I have try different approaches to get into the Word of God. They have been good in each season of my life.

Right now I am using a YouVersion app on my smartphone. The app has a program that allows me to listen to the Bible about an hour day. This will allow me to go through the Bible in about 3 months. It's good for an overview to get the big story. The other thing is someone else gets to pronounce those Old Testament names :-).

YouVersion also has another app that allows one to go through the New Testament in a month. Either through listening or reading. This is a more digestible plan. I have tried both plans. Both are good.

People like John MacArthur have said that if you take one of the shorter books of the Bible and read it through once a day for about 30 or so days. You retain a good portion of that book.

The above are only suggestions. The Holy Spirit can give direction in terms of the right plan for the right time. Again to conclude just do it.

Simply my thoughts.

2015/11/7 5:06
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: For What It Is Worth, a suggestion

I'm not advocating "not" memorizing Scripture but don't be motivated to do it by a spirit of fear because the Word says...

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you ~ John 14.26

2015/11/7 8:48Profile

Re:

Good word my sister. For it is the Holy Spirit who will bring the word to mind when the occasion requires.

2015/11/7 8:56
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

Not fear. Preparation. And not the whole bible! :D Maybe John and Philippians or so.

2015/11/7 9:30Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

Quote:
I am certainly not trying to downplay memorizing scripture but just trying to be realistic. Most people would be unable to memorize long passages of scripture. Most people do not read through the Bible on a year- can't imagine how a person would memorize the Bible. I know it has been done buts it's exceedingly rare. Even Jesus needed to ask for the scroll when he read from Isaiah.

We might be better off copying out the scriptures into something that doesn't look like a bible- like notebooks or books that have fake covers on the outside. Writing out the bible by hand would be a great way to learn it.

Or someone could learn Gregg shorthand and copy it. Know it seems crazy but there is a Cherokee language translation and Cherokee is an extant language. Where I live is an active Cherokee subculture and you can learn the language. Not many would likely recognize it in a Cherokee disguise.

2015/11/7 9:35Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy