Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : More random Genesis musings

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

More random Genesis musings

1). The three "men" who appeared to Abraham and Sarah are very mysterious. One of the three appears to be the Lord. Before they leave to go to Sodom, one (the Lord) says he needs to see for himself if the outcry against Sodom was deserved. Not sure why he would not already know. Two of the "men" go on ahead to Sodom and one (the Lord) stays behind to negotiate with Abraham. At Lot's house the men are called "angels."

2). Lot was pretty gross for offering his two virgin daughters to be ravaged by the men pounding at his door. He was considered righteous?

3). Why were the men/angels in such a rush to get Lot and his family out of there? It reads as if a timer was ticking down. The word "hurry" is used twice and there is great urgency. It says the Lord sent them to destroy the cities; Why could they not just wait until they were out before raining judgment?

4). Lot's daughters are also pretty gross.

5) Joseph's brothers are pretty rotten. Does this mean Jacob was not a great father?

2015/11/6 9:03Profile

Re: More random Genesis musings

Quote:
by TMK on 2015/11/6 9:03:18

3). Why were the men/angels in such a rush to get Lot and his family out of there? It reads as if a timer was ticking down. The word "hurry" is used twice and there is great urgency. It says the Lord sent them to destroy the cities; Why could they not just wait until they were out before raining judgment?

Maybe because God is not casual about sin/judgment and doesn't want us to be either. Could be He is wanting us to adopt His mindset on things.

2015/11/6 10:02
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Good thought.

I have always wondered what would have happened if Abraham had negotiated down to 4.

2015/11/6 11:16Profile
dohzman

Point 1) the two angels were the two covering cherubs that cover the mercy seat, which also accompany Jesus where ever He is, they are also the messengers of God s judgement.

I will by pass the others but could comment on them, to say this one true story about your question 3

I was on a business trip to St Louis and as it happened my van broke down so I had it towed to the complex I was to setup at and work, nothing I could do but just go ahead and work for the weekend, that was a Thursday, I worked Friday Saturday and Sunday, my wife and I constantly in touch by cell phone and in prayer over this matter, Sunday morning the Lord woke me up early and had spoken a scripture to me and I called my wife and shared it with her, we both knew it would be alright. After the sportsman show had ended I loaded the van up laid hands on the motor and prayed got in and started it right up, on my way back through St. Louis it started to cut out and I spoke audibly, "stop this van and I will exit it and preach Jesus from one side of this city to the other(not that I am any kind of force to be reckoned with, lol), immediately it stopped acting up and ran fine, as I headed East I had intended to stop in Indianapolis and fellowship with a dear brother in the Lord, as I approached that City coming in from the West by the airport there was a sign that said get out of town fast(an advertisement for vacation traveling or something). I felt as if the Lord was talking to me, so I kept going, St Louis to Canton Ohio is a long drive but I did not get tired I drove straight through and did not have to stop for gas, it was as if the van was being pushed, 3 tanks out none coming back:) when I got back I dropped the van off at the mechanics and had my wife follow me and pick me up before I went home. The mechanic said the inside of the motor was gone, pistons fried valves fried would not start because it was impossible and couldn't have run in that condition. Besides the miracles I witnessed that week end the lesson I learned ....and suspect Lot understood...was this, there are times in our lives when the Grace and Mercy of God COME FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY OFFER, had I stopped even to get gas the motor would have never ran again...I ended up scraping the van but never ever traveled with any degree of anxiety again.

As a side bar when talking about the end time events Jesus says something telling, Remember Lot s wife, maybe we are entering into a time when the call to salvation is pretty urgent and way more serious than what we may think.....just a thought

2015/11/6 22:25Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Great story D- thx for sharing it.

I do think it is true that when I truly am hearing something from the HS there is a definite sense of urgency and excitement.

2015/11/6 22:44Profile
dohzman

Re: same

Isn't the number 5 a symbol of a full quiver as to children? which would also be a outward picture of the fullness of blessing? Like you I have wondered the same thing but have never really taken the time to research out the number 5 and its significance in scripture, maybe someone else may have that could add to this?

2015/11/7 10:35Profile
Theophila

#2: It seems Lot would rather harm come to him and his household than to his guests. May be something to do with the cultural norms of the time.

#3: It also seems that sometimes, some divine warnings DO come with a timer attached. This question reminds me of something I read in Martha Wing Robinson's biography.
At least twice, the Lord sent warnings to families about the salvation of their children.
In one instant, the parents were to see to it that the child came to a saving knowledge of Jesus before her 7th birthday! Thankfully, the parents heeded the warning, albeit after her 6th birthday.
A second time, a similar warning came to four families with four teenage daughters. The parents were warned to pray for their daughters to receive salvation in their teen years.
Wonderfully, all four girls ended up not only walking with the Lord, but having fruitful ministries!
Only the Lord knew what circumstances could have made it hard/impossible for those children to be saved if they had persisted into adulthood in their unbelief!
Such matters are too high for me to analyze.

#5 Let us be careful as we judge another parent. When I have grown adult children who are walking with the Lord, I might have something to say about Jacob's parenting skills. Until then, I'll be quiet. I'll let those saints who adult offspring are walking with the Lord offer their insight.

2015/11/7 13:20Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Tolu-

I wasn't judging Jacob- just making posing a question. Scripture is largely silent as to how he raised his children.

as far as #2- I didn't see him offering himself up- just his daughters.

2015/11/7 14:41Profile

The number 5

TMK,

Benjamin was given five times more than his brothers, why five? Because five is the number of grace.
http://www.biblestudy.org/bibleref/meaning-of-numbers-in-bible/5.html

"And he took and sent messes unto them from before him: but Benjamin's mess was FIVE TIMES so much as any of theirs. And they drank, and were merry with him." (Gen 43:34)
FIVE WOUNDS
Jesus had 5 WOUNDS (two hands, two feet and side).

FIVE HUSBANDS
Jesus in John 4 spoke to the Samaritan woman about her 5 HUSBANDS and showed her grace (He is Grace!). Moses brought the Law (5 books of the Bible are called the Pentateuch) but Jesus Christ brought grace and truth (4 Gospels and book of Acts known as NT Pentateuch).

(Many believed and said this to the Samaritan woman) "And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world." (John 4:42)

FIVE PORCHES
In John chapter 5, the story of the pool of Bethesda with 5 PORCHES.
John 5:2 Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having FIVE PORCHES.

John 5:4 For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.

GENESIS 5 and LUKE 5 and WALKING
This is the only time recorded in the Gospels that Jesus caused a man to "rise up and walk". In Genesis 5, Enoch walked with God and was not.

"Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?" (Luke 5:23)

The NUMBER 5 and LIFE
On the 5th day in Genesis, God brought forth life.

In John 5:24 - The Lord talks about what men need to do to have everlasting life.
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man. Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation." (John 5:24-29)

There is a relationship with life and grace, the number 5, 5th day, 5th commandment (long life) and Romans 5 (the grace of life) and John 5 (everlasting life). There is much more, too.
"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. (Rom 5:1-2)

"Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee." (Exo 20:12)

NOAH and RUTH and GRACE
Also, check this out, Noah's name was mentioned many times in the Bible, but the 5th time his name was mentioned it was associated with grace. "But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD." (Gen 6:8)

Look at the 5th time that Ruth's name was mentioned.
Ruth_2:2 And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean ears of corn after him in whose sight I shall find GRACE. And she said unto her, Go, my daughter.

THE FIFTH HEBREW LETTER
The letter Hei is the fifth letter in the Hebrew alphabet, as well as a number of other Semitic language’s alphabets. Through the ancient Phoenician language, the letter Hei actually became the modern letter “E” in the English and Latin alphabets. The original meaning of the letter Hei is shrouded in mystery as it has been interpreted as everything from “thread” to “fence” to “window” in ancient Semitic languages. http://www.hebrewtoday.com/content/hebrew-alphabet-letter-hei-%D7%94

Here is a bigger look at the letter and you can see that it kind of looks like a window.
http://www.bje.org.au/learning/hebrew/alphabet/05heh.html

Without a window in a house, one cannot "see". A "window" helps us to "see", but see what? God's grace!

Try saying the 5th letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Hei or Hey. You have to "breathe out" as in God breathing life into existence and breathing upon us His Holy Spirit.

"And when he had said this, HE BREATHED ON THEM, and saith unto them, RECEIVE YE THE HOLY GHOST:" (John 20:22)

THE CROSS, FIVE BOOKS and GRACE
There are 5 books in the New Testament that begin with the letter "T" (cross). There is grace at the cross.

FIVE SPARROWS
The human body is probably not worth much in terms of dollars for all the minerals in our body. But what is our worth to God? Our life is none other than Jesus Christ, Himself.
"Are not FIVE sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: YE ARE OF MORE VALUE THAN MANY SPARROWS. (Luke 12:6-7)
The point is that God cares for little birds but no matter how many you want to count, God cares more for you.

And of course, how could you not love this verse?
Psalm 84:3
Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young— a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God.

What I mentioned about Benjamin is just the beginning. I will talk more about Benjamin (and the 5 loaves and 2 fishes), later. See what you can find.

Gotta run.

2015/11/7 20:36
TMK

NC, USA

Re: The number 5

Man Julius- I can't tell if you are being serious or not!

The disciples caught 153 fish in John 21- all three prime numbers and 5 is smack dab in the middle.

2015/11/7 20:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy