SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does the future exist "now?"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Mr. Bill: I believe there is commentary on that in Exodus 20:11. In six days God created the heaven and the earth and all that is in them. So that should include the initial creation of the heavens and the earth in that six day period.

2015/10/23 10:19Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Todd: It is difficult for us to grasp. We were born in time and our entire existence is bound and defined by time. We cannot fathom any existence outside of the confines of time. But, if time is a created thing, then there must be something about the spiritual realm that we don't understand. I guess that is about as good as I can understand it myself. Guess I will find out one of the "days" huh?

2015/10/23 10:29Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends, With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 2nd Peter 3:8

2015/10/23 10:47Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

These kind of debates often draw us into our own way of thinking, I like what Martin Luther once said:

I have often said that whoever would study Holy Scripture should be sure to see to it that he stays with the simple words as long as he can, and by no means departs from them unless an article of faith compels him to understand them differently. For of this we must be certain, no clearer speech has been heard on Earth than what God has spoken.-Martin Luther

2015/10/23 11:32Profile
dspks

Dakotas

Re: Speaking of "time"

“(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)” 2 Corinthians 6:2, KJV.

The "future" is affected by "now".

(ie. "NOW is the accepted time...")

The Lord makes it easy for us ... He clearly states that the ONLY "time" he accepts is "NOW" (ie.this second). Can you believe and walk with Him this "second"... that is the ONLY "time" which is accepted by Him.

2015/10/23 13:27Profile

Re:

Paul states that “in these last days God has spoken to us in His Son.”

The “last days” in Paul's mind are not future. These last days began in the past when God revealed Himself through His Son in the incarnation and they continue throughout the New Covenant "day of salvation" (2 Cor 6:2) right up until the "last time" (1 Pet 1:5) of the future.

Jewish eschatology was always concerned about the future. Christian eschatology is always focused on Christ because Christ was the fulfillment of God's last things. There is nothing beyond Christ. He is the Alpha and Omega the beginning and the end.

2015/10/23 15:38
Theophila

Re: Does the future exist "now?"

What if eternity is like spokes on a wheel, extending in all directions and all that we call 'time' including all recorded pre/history and creation is but a speck, an itty bitty speck, on said wheel?

I think we'll be beyond astonished when we enter eternity and realize how precious little we knew on earth.

Precious little....

2015/10/24 19:21Profile
yuehan

Re:

TMK:

Quote:
But that is exactly why I have a very hard time understanding the idea that time was created. If there was no time prior to creation, what was God doing? If he only did two things, there would be some span of time between the two things, right?

Question: how do you measure time? ;)

Well, scientists have sorted that out. Suppose you measure time using light photons - the speed of which is capped, and nothing in this universe can travel faster than light. It leads to all kinds of paradoxes - and the conclusion is that the measurement of time is relative. The time which transpires on my clock might be different to yours, though these discrepancies are small enough to be ignored in a lot of ordinary scenarios. This is the theory of "special relativity".

2 Peter 3:8 could well be a scientific statement: "With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day."

In Einstein's "general relativity" framework, space and time are not independent but interwoven together. Hence we speak of a "space-time fabric", which is distorted by the placement of objects. The more massive the object, the greater the distortion - we experience this distortion in the form of "gravity". Gravity affects light and thus our measurement of time as well. If you are sitting for an exam, suggest to the examination board to place the clock on the floor because that would slow down the clock ;) (though by negligible amounts)

So if we believe that this world was created - if space was created, does that mean time was created as well? God unfurling the space-time fabric at the point of creation (cross-reference: Revelation 6:14)...

I don't know if there's a scientific consensus to that (though I reckon many secular proponents of the Big Bang Theory would subscribe to that view). My personal belief is that God is above the spacetime dimension we inhabit, He is certainly not confined to live within the framework He created.

BTW you might want to watch "Interstellar" (2014) - the sci-fi movie touches on some of these themes (unfortunately punctuated by some ungodly language).

2015/10/24 22:10Profile
passerby

Re:

Time is co-occurrent of existence. It not only a physical reality but also a metaphysical reality. It is not created and it cannot be destroyed. Time is always there whether in a physical or a metaphysical dimension.

"He is not eternity and infinity, but eternal and infinite; he is not duration or space, but he endures and is present. He endures forever, and is everywhere present; and, by existing always and everywhere, he constitutes duration and space. Since every particle of space is always, and every indivisible moment of duration is everywhere, certainly the Maker and Lord of all things cannot be never and nowhere" (Isaac Newton).

2015/10/25 1:57Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Yuehan-

I did recently watch Interstellar. Definitely a mind bender.

2015/10/25 10:12Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy