SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does the future exist "now?"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I've always heard time began when God created the earth, before that time as we know it did not exist.

2015/10/21 10:36Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

BillPro, I personally think that has to be so. I am quite certain there is no time without physicality. Unless before the creations of the heavens and the earth there was another physical existence of some sort some place, I don't see how it could be any other way.

2015/10/21 10:44Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

The whole concept of time having a beginning is exceedingly difficult, at least for me. But that seems to be the consensus.

But here is another mind-blower- if God existed in the infinite past, how did it ever get to the point where He created the universe? There would always be an infinite amount of time to cover first.

That paradox is resolved, I guess, if time did not begin UNTIL He created everything.

But what God was doing prior to creation is beyond me. I will have to ask Him some day.

2015/10/21 11:14Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
TMK....But here is another mind-blower- if God existed in the infinite past, how did it ever get to the point where He created the universe? There would always be an infinite amount of time to cover first.

Todd, I would just say that before time as we know it started, God did not need "time" to act, he's God. Also God is spirit, I don't think time even exists in the spirit world.

2015/10/21 12:01Profile
passerby

Re:

If there is sequence of events, there is time. If there is eternity, there is time.

Time goes with existence, if there is existence of anything or anybody then there is time, whether we are conscious or oriented with it or not, awareness does not validate time.

The future does not exist now but it is fully knowable to God, He is the Lord of every event, everything goes with His counsel.

The free will of man and laws of nature do not diminish God's sovereignty, they are serving His purposes.

2015/10/21 12:37Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
passerby...If there is sequence of events, there is time. If there is eternity, there is time.

Time is something that can be measured, you can't measure eternity, if you can please explain this to this old common sense dude. :-)

2015/10/21 12:43Profile
passerby

Re:

Eternity is infinite, immeasurable time, it takes its meaning from the concept of time. It is a description or an attribute of time.

2015/10/21 13:07Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Nowhere in the Bible do we find any suggestion of millions or billions of years. Belief in millions of years is really part of secular man’s religion, which attempts to explain life without God, instead of believing the true account of origins in Genesis that begins “In the beginning . . . .”

Our ability to trust God’s promise of salvation relies upon our ability to trust everything He says about history, from beginning to end. If we can’t trust His claims about the past, how can we trust His promises about the future?

Thankfully, we serve a God we can trust in every detail. Though He is beyond space and time, He humbled Himself to become a man and die on the Cross for our sins. He also has given us a record of this history in His Word so that we can know it’s really true. -Ken Ham

2015/10/21 13:09Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Having some small training in Physics, I know that time is not absolute. Time dilation occurs at speeds approaching the speed of light. If time is not constant, it must be a created thing and not something that places a limitation on God. He is immutable. Time is not. So He is the creator of, and thus outside of time. We are bound by time and cannot imagine what an existence outside of time would be like. Our entire human existence is defined by time. We must conceive of a beginning and an end. Yet these are time bound concepts.

2015/10/21 13:32Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brother Travis,
Again I am tracking with you on this...
Remember the Seal song from the nineties, "time is the space between me and you"? ;)
Time is a means of measurement and again as far as I understand it doesn't not actually or independently exist but rather is an applied construct,... hence the time dilation Travis mentions.
This is why Christ was crucified at the foundation of the world but didn't manifest "in time" for thousands of years tho in eternity it had actually already taken place.
Time (for me) is like mathematics in that neither exist outside the human mind but were "created" (used loosely) by it in order to explain, interact and understand or track the natural progression of creation itself.
Have some engineer friends that love to debate this point with me but if mathematics (like time) existed outside of the human condition then other creatures would show evidence of apprehending it,...

2015/10/21 13:51Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy