SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Let's not Justify the Wicked

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Let's not Justify the Wicked

Here lately I've been thinking about what entertainment is, what it is good for, and what is considered good entertainment. This will probably be one of those posts that will search you inside and out... as it is me while I'm writing it. Here is the conclusion I have made: Godly entertainment (otherwise called joy) is good. Worldly entertainment is bad. Well that's pretty obvious isn't it? Here is a question to ask ourselves. Is what we enjoy watching on TV sin to God? How many people enjoy watching others send themselves to Hell? How many enjoy watching murder? fornication? adultery? scandalous and offensive (to God) material? What do we laugh at? Is sin funny to us? Here is something else that I have been thinking about: what we enjoy watching is what deep down we would enjoy doing, but the only reason we don't is because of what others might think or the consequences from God. Whoa! Time for you and I to search ourselves! I don't know if you will agree with it or not but I believe that to be true. And if that is our only reasons for not doing some sin then we do not have a pure heart. This is searching post... especially to me since I'm writing it. Are you going to allow God to search you?

Psa 119:37 Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; [and] quicken thou me in thy way.

Psa 23:3-5 Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
Pro 15:9 The way of the wicked [is] an abomination unto the LORD: but he loveth him that followeth after righteousness.

Pro 15:26 The thoughts of the wicked [are] an abomination to the LORD: but [the words] of the pure [are] pleasant words.

Pro 17:15 He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both [are] abomination to the LORD.

Do we justify the behaivor of the wicked and call it entertainment?

2005/5/8 21:21Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: Let's not Justify the Wicked

Quote:
How many people enjoy watching others send themselves to Hell? How many enjoy watching murder? fornication? adultery? scandalous and offensive (to God) material?

The passage that comes immediately to mind:

[b]“Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.”[/b] (I Timothy 5:22) Seeing and hearing those unlawful deeds ought to vex our righteous soul. The enemy brings much destruction to the believer through much secular TV. It feeds the natural desires of the flesh with things that only enflame those desires into unnatural lusts. Soon the battle for the mind is on as there are more thoughts coming into the mind than can possibly be cast down. They find a lodging place and the problems begin. Guard your heart with ALL diligence for out of it are the issues of life.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/5/9 8:25Profile

Only yeasterday have my husband and i decided to sell our tv, dvd and video player for both financial and spiritual reasons. The tv has consumed all of my husbands free time he found tv more interesting than Gods word yet now hes desiring God more than what the tv has to offer and also while our children are still young we want to take it away and replace those times with reading together or anything that involves coming together more as a family. I cannot even begin to imagine the benefits that wil come from this but we feel its the right thing to do as a family.
I know people may think im being legalistic and a bit drastic but to me the tv is one BIG distraction. We will still watch some carefully chosen dvds together on the computer. This is only for a season to see how things work out without it.
What i want to know now is....whats all my furniture going to point to now????
In His love geraldine :-)

2005/5/9 9:24
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I think that is great Geraldine. I belive God wants families to take back that time Satan wants to steal from the family. I think its beautiful to think about a family sitting together reading the Word and praying. (I can only think about it since I'm only 20. I don't have a family... yet :-P )

2005/5/9 10:31Profile
Compton

Re: Screen door on a submarine

Quote:
I know people may think im being legalistic and a bit drastic but to me the tv is one BIG distraction.

I don't think you're being legalistic for wanting to recapture all of your displaced family time. You're holding on to your sanity!

My problem with television isn't just that it pipes in senseless violence, sexuality, and materialism right into your home...for deveoping children to be exposed to. In my opinion, the deeper damage is much more subtle. Just when we want to train children to be perceptive to the world, television conditions them to be receptive to the world.

Television is a conduit for edited memories, speech patterns, and attitudes that are transferred into a child's brain, without them having to lift a synapse.

I'll be honest, I find it impossible to deny access to audio-visual technology these days. We got rid of cable and broadcast, but in these digital times that step is like trying to put a screen door on a submarine. Media, or digital content, pours in like water through every orifice in our lives. Our homes, vehicles, and even bodies are now equipped with DVD players, MP3 and MP4 players, XM Radio recievers, videogame systems, videophones, and computers with Wi-Fi connections. In the last 10 years, we have been deludged by a psunami of music and video content.

It's worse than mindnumbing...it's heartnumbing.

Maranatha dear saints!

MC

2005/5/9 11:56Profile
DezCall

The Netherlands

Quote:
what we enjoy watching is what deep down we would enjoy doing, but the only reason we don't is because of what others might think or the consequences from God.

This is right on target, brother. I experience this in my own life. It's a struggle. Praise God that He doesn't spare the rod. Tozer once made the statement: "God crucifies without pity those whom He desires to raise without measure."

"You who love the LORD, hate evil!"...but you know what's so marvellous about this? That's not where the verse ends. It continues, saying: "He preserves the souls of His saints; He delivers them out of the hand of the wicked." (Psalm 97:10)

God knows our heart and our own inability. Yesterday I read this verse that truly blessed my soul, saying:

"Turn to Me and be (in my Dutch translation it says: "let yourself be") saved,
all you ends of the earth;
for I am God, and there is no other." (Isaiah 45:22)

Josh, thanks again for this post. May the joy in the Lord be our refuge!

In Him,
Paul

2005/5/9 13:17Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I have been thinking a lot recently on this issue. How much of the Christian music we buy to listen to is produced with the idea of making money on it - it is just business as usual for the producers. Is it not sacreligious to use the Gospel to make wealth? I understand the need to charge people for CDs, etc. because it costs money to produce them. But how many musicians are using the Gospel as entertainment to make a living?

Just my thoughts lately..
Ginnyrose

2005/5/9 23:17Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

geraldine wrote:
Only yesterday have my husband and i decided to sell our tv, dvd and video player for both financial and spiritual reasons.

Might want to get rid of the Computer also it's worse than the tv, dvd and video player bottom line the computer it's not any better, it offers as much bad as the TV, I just get tired of people saying the TV is bad but yet have no problem with the internet, really there is no difference. I am Pro TV and will always be for two reasons, I was led to the Lord by a TV Minister and I know how to change channels. ;-)

2005/5/9 23:51Profile

Re:

Quote:
Might want to get rid of the Computer also it's worse than the tv, dvd and video player bottom line the computer it's not any better,

Yes, you are right there but the computer to me is not a distraction. It was and when i see its taking me away from the kids and my time with the Lord i take time out for a while. The computer can be a far bigger distraction.
Yet it is a direct link to my Mum and Dad brother and sister, an educational tool for my kids. But i can see what your saying.

2005/5/10 3:03

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy