SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How Will COs Fare if Drafted?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

How Will COs Fare if Drafted?

This morning my sister, who is a member of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Holdeman), texted me a phone number that has a recording of a committees' interaction with the Selective Service in Washington, D.C. in regards to a future draft and how will their young people serve. The message is 75 minutes long - preceded by a mini-sermon before the report begins. It is a worthwhile listen if you are interested in how Conservative Mennonites will relate to their country in the event of a draft. Here is the phone number: 712.775.7039, when prompted type in 165706#.

I am not sure how long this recording will be available, but do find it insightful. Just thought I would share this in case it may interest some one.

In case you may wonder, we are not members of the COGIC, Mennonite but we do have similar interests and concerns. I appreciate the fact that even though my family is in this church we still can share and communicate concerns that weigh on our hearts without fear of ridicule.

God bless.

Sandra Miller

2015/10/5 14:27Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: How Will COs Fare if Drafted?

It seems unlikely that the draft will be re-instated, mostly because modern war fighting is so technologically oriented it requires the sophisticated training of highly motivated young people. Armies of disgruntled conscripts are expensive and inefficient, I can't see the US going back to that.

Let alone the political firestorm that would erupt from any modern politician seriously bringing the proposition. I saw one study where about 25% of young Americans would not fight for the country under any circumstances. And that was a few years back, I expect the current number would be even higher. The country has been radically transformed.

During the Vietnam conflict I was drafted. I had easily secured from my local draft board Conscientious Objector status- the category that had me serve the 2 years and allowed me to not carry a weapon. There was another classification for those who refused to serve in the military, I understand that one was harder to get. Most of those young men were affiliated with religious denominations with long standing objector policy- you had to show that you had been in the organization for more than just since you got your "Greetings" letter.

In retrospect, I am very glad I was sent to the front lines and engaged in the battle. Had that CO status kept me from the danger that was killing my fellow soldiers, I would be living with considerable guilt and shame. As it turns out God took that hard time, and my spiritual resentments, and turned it into both honor and a fabulous ongoing ministry opportunity.

That's my perspective and story, probably didn't work out so well for others who never let go of those very real resentments!

If a man seeks to be obedient to the Father, he will be blessed in whatever decision he makes, or whatever happens to him as a result of the decisions of others.

2015/10/13 23:42Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

It may be of interest to you, Tom, to know that my husband served as a CO during the Vietnam War era. He served with other like minded fellows at the MS State Hospital (a mental institution) at Whitfield. It was a good experience for them and to this day they have no regrets. My husband does speak occasionally of a nurse there who resented these guys because she had a son in the war...and that is understandable.

None of these men have ever expressed a regret for their service to mankind in this manner. One went on the become a Bible translator working for Wycliffe; another became a nurse - interest fuel by his work as a surgical technician at Whitfield. They were paid a low wage, got no retirement benefits from the gov for their service unlike those who served in the military - and they do not complain...in fact I am not sure this lack has ever crossed their mind. For them it was a learning experience that they regard as rewarding and pleasing to God.

And...I benefit for having married one of these fellows - I get to join them when they have reunions and what fun and inspiring that is - just had one last week!

God bless.

Sandra

2015/10/26 16:27Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy