SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Presbyterian response to Heberdies Revival

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Presbyterian response to Heberdies Revival

Can anyone tell me how the Church of Scotland/ Presbyterian church responded to the Heberdies Revival? A few years ago I joined a Presbyterian church, and I can't find anyone who knows anything about it. That is surprising. After all, it was an exciting part of church history.

2005/5/8 15:44Profile

Re: Presbyterian response to Heberdies Revival

Hi roadsign,

Being of Presbyterian stock originally, I am familiar with the name Duncan Campbell but, I have not listened to any of his sermons here. You can link to the list of 23 on SI Home. I believe books have been written about what happened back then. Perhaps use the Church of Scotland website to make enquiries?

Quote:
[b]His Testimony And Conversion by Duncan Campbell[/b]
A very powerful testimony of conversion not by a man but by God who wrought a wonderful work of regeneration in mr. campbells soul. He recieved the baptism with the Holy Spirit and was used powerfully in the revival of 1921. Then he went through a barren wilderness for 17 years in the ministry. But again God revived his heart and he experienced the outpouring of the Holy Spirit in the famous Hebrides Revival. The summation of this testimony is very powerful where he asks the listener if God could do this for him why not us? are we willing to 'go through with God' at any cost?

2005/5/11 8:17
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

[b]Diane[/b]

That is a great question and I am sure if you dig around enough you will find an answer. I know for a fact that on the island of hebrides there were those who opposed the revival and some very strongly. It was a revival that was mostly based on repentance and prayer, the manifestations of the Holy Spirit where there but were [i]not[/i] in the forefront. I believe that Duncan Campbell was not presbyterian himself but a faith mission evangelist?

2005/5/11 11:52Profile
roadsign

Scottish Revival: untold history?

Quote:
there were those who opposed the revival and some very strongly.

Perhaps this is the reason that part of history - the Heberdies revival - seems to be non-existant. Maybe those who wrote the history texts, and set up the seminary ciriculum didn't want to include it.

I don't want to come to such conclusions - without a just reason. So that's why I would like to know more about it. I have read some of Duncan Cambell's books, and listened to his historical accound of revival on St. Lewis. But I didn't hear much about the Church of Scotland at the time.

Hey folks, imagine such an outstanding event in history, and few know anything about it. Sometimes I think that God is the best kept secret.

Diane

2005/5/11 13:23Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I believe that Duncan Campbell was not presbyterian himself but a faith mission evangelist?

this is correct.

2005/5/11 14:07Profile
swsojourner

Re:

and what is a faith mission evangelist ? [in other words, doctrinal statement ?]

I think we've been through this before, with the implication being that Duncan Campbell was not Reformed !? (he was most definitely reformed!)

Awesome revival in psalm-singing only Presbyterian churches

the purest religion there is.

hehehe...had to get that in there -- for folks in the know :-D

For Christ's Crown and Covenant,
KN

2005/5/11 23:02Profile
swsojourner

Re: Presbyterian response to Heberdies Revival

Quote:
can't find anyone who knows anything about it. That is surprising. After all, it was an exciting part of church history.

Presbyterians, as a general statement, like to push things like the Hebrides Revival and the prophetic manifestations of the Holy Spirit in their own tradition under the rug..that could be one answer :-(

2005/5/11 23:13Profile

Dear sister roadsign

first off, feast on this offering from our dear brother "bought", who put up a website called sendrevival.com, and he has a page offering various writings on that blessed visitation of God in the Hebrides.[url=http://www.sendrevival.com/history/new_hebrides/index.htm]Revival in the Hebrides[/url]

I love Duncan Campbell so much, I love listening to him preach so much, and I love reading accounts of that revival. I really really want to go visit those islands.

my two favorite antedotes are the one of the two elderly sisters who prayed in an old farmhouse, and the other is the prayer ministry of Donald MacPhail, a sixteen year old who had a mighty mighty baptism in the Holy Ghost .......

may the Lord bless you and your search for the tales of this visitation, and mayu He pleeeeeese bring us worms MORE...........!!!

more Holy Spirit for Jesus' sake and Jesus' sake alone.

2005/5/12 0:45
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Dear sister roadsign

Quote:
my two favorite antedotes are the one of the two elderly sisters who prayed in an old farmhouse, and the other is the prayer ministry of Donald MacPhail, a sixteen year old who had a mighty mighty baptism in the Holy Ghost .......

I undestand that Donald MacPhail is still alive and leading a charismatic fellowship. I have a close friend who speaks there from time to time. I understand that he is reluctant to talk about the Hebrides Revival feeling that such was what God was doing then and not necessarily now.

On the other side this article may give you some feel for some of the issues involved at that time. "The Resurgence of Arminianism"

for current details of the Faith Mission please click here

2005/5/12 3:33Profile
roadsign

Presbyterians and Heberdies revival

Many thanks for your comments and the links. I will study them carefully. I never thought about doctrinal issues, ex arminianism, as a possible factor.

I hate to say it, but a big part of me suspects that nothing has changed.... Revival like the Heberdies revival is just too threatening. It means that the controls get handed over from man's hands to God's hands. Church organizations, in general, seem to do all they can to keep their Babel tower intact - and the present Presbyterian church is no exception - the way I see it, anyway.
Diane

2005/5/12 8:41Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy