Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : War on the Saints

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

War on the Saints

War on the Saints by Jessie Penn-Lewis and Evan Roberts. Has anyone read it? Does anyone know of any other Evan Roberts books?

2005/5/7 14:31Profile
Heavenlyman

Australia

Re: War on the Saints

Hi, :-) We have the book, the last edition been published my husband had read it and I have been trying to read it but finding it hard to keep going with it :-) I know it's an awesome book ...

2005/5/8 0:54Profile
roadsign

Re: War on the Saints - true for today

Yes, I have read it. It seems severe at times, but I think there is a lot of deep and painful truth in it. I have been wondering if what Jesse Penn Lewis describes is a phenomena that we have been seeing in the Vineyard type of movement - pre-revival rather than post-revival as was in her case. Perhaps, we are all affected to some degree by the dulling of the mind - as she describes.
Here are a few quotes that struck me. Don't they seem relevent for today?

Quote:
"The devil mixes his lies with the truth, for he must use truth to carry his lies." Pg. 119
"Working on people's senses in the sphere of religion has long been Satan's special mode of deceiving men Pg 125
"...exaggerated sense of importance…
You think that you are more advanced than others are;
you are a special instrument;
you have special insight
......don't listen to others because you have special 'direct' revelation from God.
...they try to feel God in their natural senses…

"At the dawn of revival, the ignorant are teachable, but through their apparently spiritual experiences, they later become unteachable."

Diane

2005/5/8 7:39Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Alright thanks.. I can't wait till I find time to read it. Right now I'm finishing a book about David Livingstone.

2005/5/8 14:21Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I read that book too long ago and cant remember much about it

2005/5/16 9:41Profile

War on the Saints - ON LINE LINK

The book War on the Saints is on line

Go here for the THE UNABRIDGED EDITION-

http://www.acts1711.com/Contents.html

2005/5/16 10:52
swsojourner

Re: War on the Saints - ON LINE LINK

yes, ,the CLC abridged edition deletes all references to Christians being demon-possessed and the baptism of the Holy Spirit, including the whole capstone of the book, the final chapter on the baptism of the Holy Spirit and revival.

KN

2005/5/16 14:45Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

[b]Karsten[/b]

Yes that is a great point to make! if you are going to read this book you need to obtain an unabridged version. I got the one hard cover one from www.rarechristianbooks.com

It is a very serious and important book for the times we are living in. Alot of charismatic speakers [i]hate[/i] (not too strong of a word) Jesse-Penn Lewis! they attibitute her to stopping the Welsh Revival and halting the spiritual usefullness of Evan Roberts. Evan Roberts co-authored the book with her. I have read this book and I want to study it again.

2005/5/16 15:21Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Thank you very much everyone. I did buy the abridged edition (not paying any attention). But I will read the unabridged edition since everyone agrees there is much needed information left out. I don't really see the point of making an abridged edition... Why take out parts?

2005/5/16 16:00Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Re:

Quote:

sermonindex wrote:

Alot of charismatic speakers [i]hate[/i] (not too strong of a word) Jesse-Penn Lewis! they attibitute her to stopping the Welsh Revival and halting the spiritual usefullness of Evan Roberts. Evan Roberts co-authored the book with her. I have read this book and I want to study it again.

I have heard a little about Jesse-Penn Lewis and I am curious to know more. Is there any info about her on SI? I know there a lot of articles she wrote on SI. Is there a biography on Jesse? But especially to the above quote by Greg is there any way that anyone could expound on this more or any links to point me in that direction?

2005/5/16 19:03Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy