SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : On Speaking in tongues during church service

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Zelus4Jesus

Oklahoma

On Speaking in tongues during church service

Hello everyone. I'm trying to make sense of what the Bible says about speaking in tongues during church service. I used to think that only 2 or 3 should speak, and only with an interpreter (and that's it for the whole church service); which would mean that the pentecostals are deliberately disobeying the Bible when they all pray and some speak in tongues.
But now I'm not sure, because the more I look at it the more I get confused. Maybe that just applies to those who are standing up addressing the people. For instance, someone stands up and speaks in tongues in the middle of a service, and then another and so on, in a chaotic way. I've heard it said that the reason Paul wrote this was because the Corinthian church was trying to run the service with different people standing and speaking in tongues (which of course wouldn't edify anyone).
But as far as praying in tongues during prayer time, "to yourself and God (although audible)", is this condemned? It doesn't seem like it would be, because all are praying: some with tongues to God, and others in normal language to God. Some praying in the Spirit, others with their mind. What do you all think? Is it unscriptural? Thanks and God bless you all!

p.s. Please don't post anything about whether or not tongues are still spoken today. That's not what the thread is addressing at all, nor is it inviting the issue to be addressed. This is for those who already know that it is still done today.

2005/5/7 3:39Profile
Spitfire

Re: On Speaking in tongues during church service

Hi Zelus. I believe the portion of scripture you mention, which is from 2 Corinthians 14 is addressing people who are bringing a message in tongues. A message in tongues is different from prayer, as you said. Prayer is to God, a message is to men. But...if I am praying in tongues, I do generally lower my voice just simply as not to distract. I'm not someone who ever brings messages in tongues, but I pray in tongues all the time. I do, of course, pray with my understanding also. That's my take on it. Love, Dian.

2005/5/7 6:33Profile
RaymondE

Pontiac, Michigan

Re:

Grace, Mercy and Peace To All:

It is my understanding that spiritual gifts and their proper manifestations in our corporate settings should first be considered by studying I Corinthians 1:4-9 and then alongside of I Corinthians 12,13, and 14.

My eyes have been opened, by the Spirit of the Lord, to understand that the "testimony of Christ," or the "spirit of prophecy" (Rev. 19:10), resides in the inner man of every born again Spirit-filled believer and it has been mandated by the Spirit of Grace that our "order of services" should attest to this truth! How? By permitting "all things" (i.e. all spiritual gifts) to be "done" (i.e. manifested) in a decent and orderly manner! (I Corinthians 14:40)

If the testimony of Christ, the spirit of prophecy (i.e. the real-time presence of the Spirit of Christ) dwells in us daily then no one of us should be "coming to church" empty! Nor should we be "going to church" to hear sermons only! Why? Because the Body is not one member, but many! (I Corinthians 12:14)

From the beginning of our worship services to the end prophesying "one by one" should be the normative order of our corporate praise and worship fellowships. The fellowship into which we have been called, is null and void without "the testimony of Christ" manifesting Himself through earthen vessels by means of spiritual gifts! ( I Corinthians 1:9;Hebrews 6:4,5)

As it is written, "How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you HAS a psalm, HAS a teaching; HAS a tongue, HAS a revelation, HAS an interpretation. LET ALL THINGS BE DONE FOR EDIFICATION." (I Corinthians 14:26 emphasis mine) These are some of the manifestations of Christ "witnessing" through us!

So what then is prophesying? In brief, the Prophet Amos explains it well when he wrote, "...The Lord God has spoken! Who can but prophesy?" 3:8b

In other words, whenever and however God speaks, and we "hear" Him through implanted utterances (James 1:21 cf. Acts 2:4; John 5:30) all we can do is repeat what He has said, and that is the essence of prophesying.

Whether God speaks in known or unknown utterances we all can and should prophesy "one by one," decently and in order. And, we can all prophesy "as one corporate new man" as the Spirit wills (i.e. Ezra 3:1 ; Acts 4:24-31)

If we really want the Holy Spirit to have "His Way" in our midst then we need to make sure that our pre-printed order of services (i.e. church bulletins) do not "quench," "grieve," "despise" nor "forbid" the Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit) from manifesting Himself. (I Corinthians 12:7;I Thessalonians 5:19,20; I Corinthians 14:39)

For this cause it is written, "But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced BY ALL, he is convicted BY ALL. And thus the serets of his heart are REVEALED; and so, falling down on his face, he will WORSHIP GOD and report that GOD IS TRULY AMONG YOU." (I Corinthians 14:24,25 emphasis mine)

How will Christ "witness" through you the next time the whole church comes together in one place?

[i][b]God speaks in many different ways (Hebrews 1:1). For example, in the book of Job we read, "For God may speak in one way, or in another, Yet man does not perceive it. In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, While slumbering on their beds, Then He opens the ears of men, and seals their instruction." (Job 33:14-16)

So then, whether God speaks through His written word, the Holy Scriptures, dreams, visions, or through implanted utterances deposited into our hearts, if we "hear" Him be it a psalm, a teaching, a revelation, a tongue, an interpretation, an exhortation, a rebuke, a reproof, a doctrine, it all constitutes Prophesying in the context of I Corinthians 14:26-31! Prophesying then includes both forthtelling and foretelling![/b][/i]

2005/5/7 8:55Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

1Co 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
1Co 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

I pray in tongues often. I do not pray aloud in tougues in the church or especialy when non belivers are around becasue if: there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?(1 Cor 14:23)

But giving a message in tougues and someone interprets: 1Co 14:24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:
1Co 14:25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.
(1Co 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh, with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.)

This is how I handle myself in church. But I'm not 100% sure of what I think of others that don't do this. If I feel as though a service is just crazy and not edifying I leave.

2005/5/7 11:56Profile

Re: On Speaking in tongues during church service

RaymondE and Spitfire explained the use of gifts during church worship, as I understand it. There is need, if a word in tongues is given to the whole church, for the whole church to pray quietly for the interpretation to be given; it might be a big step of faith for someone to interpret to the whole church for the first time.

Only thing to add, since the 'spirit of prophecy' (testimony of Jesus) was mentioned too, is this. When we pray in the Spirit, whether with the understanding or in tongues, or, as Raymond explained, (my way of expressing this) we 'interface' with eternity more consciously than when we are not applying ourselves solely to hearing from God.

Quote:
So what then is prophesying? In brief, the Prophet Amos explains it well when he wrote, "...The Lord God has spoken! Who can but prophesy?" 3:8b

In other words, whenever and however God speaks, and we "hear" Him through implanted utterances (James 1:21 cf. Acts 2:4; John 5:30) all we can do is repeat what He has said, and that is the essence of prophesying. Whether God speaks in known or unknown utterances we all can and should prophesy "one by one," decently and in order. And, we can all prophesy "as one corporate new man" as the Spirit wills (i.e. Ezra 3:1 ; Acts 4:24-31)

In Young's translation of the Old Testament, I notice many prophecies/answers to prayer, are recorded in the [b]past[/b] tense, before they have actually happened. This reminds that God's word will come to pass, regardless of whether it is about to be fulfilled, or, years will elapse first. 'Thinking' of God's word as already accomplished may also assist our faith in proclaiming the word He gives, whether or not in tongues.

2005/5/7 15:35

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy