Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Young Adults "Leaving the Faith"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Young Adults "Leaving the Faith"

I was at a youth worker meeting last night. We watched a video of some supposed expert talking about how around 50% of church kids leave the faith when they get out of HS. He seemed to be trying to blame this on ineffective methods of keeping kids engaged in youth programs.

Not one word was said about the real reason youth are "leaving the faith"-- which is because they were never born again to begin with.

If his statistic is correct then obviously churches are doing a miserable job of reaching youth with the gospel- even those that regularly attend church or a youth group.

2015/9/9 9:48Profile
Theophila

Re: Young Adults "Leaving the Faith"

Brother,
Your post may open Pandora's box....but in a good way, haha!

Since only the living can birth the living, is it possible that the youth that were never born again to start with, are being raised and preached to, by parents and preachers who themselves are not born again?

Just a thought....

2015/9/9 10:55Profile

Re:

Exactly, Theophila. Leaving the faith is different than leaving a religious institution. I can understand the latter. "Works based", institutions are very unappealing.

If truly born-again, are they really leaving Jesus or just a religious structure?

2015/9/9 11:02
Jeremy221

I have met several self identified South African English teachers here in Korea that say they are Christians but it is evident in moments that they neither know nor want Christian fellowship. It reminds me of Keith Daniel's sermons about seeing revival in South Africa among churches that have never seen the power of God nor felt His holy presence. Usually, I meet them drunk and they try to be friendly taking the name of Christ but when I refuse to take part in their drunken orgy, they get angry at me.

On a similar note, I believe that there are more "Christian" American youth that are more disciples of Disney [and the Disney Channel] or self help entrepreneurship than children of the Lord. They have crosses around their necks while they twerk and pop to the latest hip-hop or spout self fulfilling dreams of mid level success.

2015/9/9 11:32Profile
dolfan

Alabama

This article, if I may share the link, offers a little insight and hope.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2014/may/dropouts-and-disciples-how-many-students-are-really-leaving.html

I will share these excerpts:

Quote:
Statistically, we found four factors that were the most predictive in determining which teenagers stayed in church:
• I wanted the church to help guide my decisions in everyday life (prior to 18).
• My parents were still married to each other and both attended church (prior to 18).
• The pastor's sermons were relevant to my life (prior to 18).
• At least one adult from church made a significant investment in me personally and spiritually (between 15 and 18).

Quote:

When teenagers see an active, practiced faith in their parents and other positive examples at church, they will stop being dropouts and start being disciples.

1. Disciple, disciple, disciple. If your student ministry is a four-year holding tank with pizza, don't expect young adults to stick around. If, however, they see biblical teaching as relevant and see the church as essential to their decisions, they stay.

2. Have a home with committed Christian parents. According to the USC study I referenced earlier, 74% of married couples who were both evangelicals also had kids who were evangelical. I was raised by a single mom who loved the Lord and I'm so thankful for those who do, but parents (together) make a significant statistical impact.

3. Recognize that it takes a church to raise a committed young adult—involve other adults in the discipleship process. This is where student pastors, volunteers, and other adults being invested in the lives of teenagers can be so important.

For those of us in home-based fellowships, this is an eye-opener, but we have what I think is an advantage of closeness and immediacy in terms of the "relevance" part of this.

2015/9/9 15:15Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Funny- I found that same article and it is somewhat encouraging.

It also describes me- I got away from church in HS because I had a golf course job and I worked Sunday mornings. I didn't really return to church consistently until mid 20s.

2015/9/9 15:51Profile
Sree

Re:

I dont think we can blame the youth as not born again. I think the problem is with Churches. They do not have people who could live as an example for the young ones to follow.

I sometimes lead youth meeting in my Church. One of my burden is to constantly be a living example for the younger ones to follow. I want them to look up to me, share with me their problems, look for a mature council in me etc. I don't think I have grown up to that stage yet. But luckily my Church has a brother who is incharage of youth meeting who is very zealous for the Lord. I look up to him as well. I may be gifted with word, but he is living a challenging Christian life.

Instead of Churches changing their programs to please youth, they need to focus on Godly examples before them.

2015/9/10 1:41Profile
romanchog

IS the problem perhaps that they never had a conversion?

It seems to me that churches teach children and youth making the assumption that they have been born again-for lack of a better term. In other words, the teachings in children's and youth services/classes are not taught as to the unregenerate, needing the knowledge of Christ. Because these children have Christian parents (assumed because they are in Church) it is assumed that the children are also Christian. This is an error.

The children/youth themselves grow to believe that they are, in fact, followers of Christ but have never made that personal decision. When they leave High School and enter college with all of the pressure that is put on their faith from so many areas, they abandon the faith that they never had. My opinion.

2015/9/10 6:27Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Quote:
TMK wrote:
We watched a video of some supposed expert talking about how around 50% of church kids leave the faith...

My understanding of 'kids leaving the faith' is because they see no faith anymore. It's just a Sunday thing, like a Sunday morning drive in the country.

In the past, I've been the churches biggest critic but I don't know that "churches" are doing a miserable job reaching the youth; it seems the parents are doing a "miserable job" reaching their children for Christ! They drop their kids off with no participation or excitement for Christ. Why should the kids participate if the parents don't? Why should the kids be excited if the parents aren't?

Will the REAL Jesus, please stand up! They've met hypocrisy, they've met religion, they've met theology, they've met rules and regulations, they've met people who said stringent Christians but their behavior said other wise.

I don't think they've met the real Jesus because if they had, they would love Him and not want to leave Him.

2015/9/10 7:23Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Lisa wrote: "I don't think they've met the real Jesus because if they had, they would love Him and not want to leave Him. "

I agree 100%.

2015/9/10 9:37Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy