SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : You are not saved by what you do but by what Christ did

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
makrothumia

Texas

Re: Can we imitate?

"We can't imitate Christ. We were never created with that capacity!"

Really? I thought that's how infants learn most of what they know.

Perhaps before we are born from above, we lack the capacity to imitate Christ, but as new born babes - we begin to imitate men like Paul and other godly men. We may not understand much of what we're doing at first. But as we grow, we learn, and what we began to do in simple imitation, becomes our own actions.

Solid food is for the mature, who by reason of use (much imitation in this phase) have exercised their senses to discern good and evil."

I thank God for the men whom I have imitated. The Apostle Paul told us to mark such men and "imitate" their faith.

Makrothumia

2015/9/1 11:05Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Ephesians 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.

2015/9/1 11:18Profile
proudpapa

Re: Makrothumia

Julius wrote : /// "We can't imitate Christ. We were never created with that capacity!"///

Makrothumia wrote: ///Really? I thought that's how infants learn most of what they know. ///

Infants learn to act like there surroundings.

What I understood Julius to be implying was that Christians do not need to try to make there flesh act like Jesus but instead they need to rest and let Christ work through them.

add : I thought Julius last post was very good

2015/9/1 11:25Profile

Re:

Thank you, PP.

That is exactly what I was trying to say.

2015/9/1 12:00
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

"I have read the book, "The Imitation of Christ" when I was a young Christian and I don't mind admitting it had some good things in it, but I have to say that the title is all wrong. We can't imitate Christ. We were never created with that capacity."

Here is the entire quote. I believe Thomas A Kempis was writing to "believers". I do not believe his intention was to try to help lost people "train their flesh."

The commentary on the book says a lot about how the person views their own understanding in comparison to the author.

If the intent of Thomas A Kempis was to share the grace he had received with "believers" to help them grow to mature saints in Christ, then his title was very appropriate.

Ephesians chapter 4 contains the great benefit that apostles, prophets, evangelists, and pastor/teachers offer babes in Christ. Christ is in every born again believer, but the ministry of instruction, correction, reproof, and yes - example towards imitation is a grace from God.

The goal is total dependence on the indwelling Christ. Helping believers discover "the mystery of Christ in you the hope of glory" is what I sense that you brothers are seeking to promote. This is a highly commendable goal and worthy of careful consideration.

However, men in positions of authority who God has appointed and gifted to set young believers thoughts in order, to reprove, to rebuke, and to train them up like children is also a vital part of what you are attempting to
promote.

Who understood this better than Paul, and see what example He himself set before the "infants" of Corinth. "I beat my body and make it my slave." He had no hesitation to exhort self-discipline - "Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-discipline in all things."

Encouraging young believers to discipline themselves for the purpose of godliness will aid them in the quest to discover the fullness of the mystery of Christ in them.

Again, "The Imitation of Christ" was written to encourage "believers" to imitate Christ - not to try to get lost men to train their flesh to obey Christ.

Environment does make a great difference. That's why young believers need to be in a fellowship of saints receiving all the advantages of teaching, correction, reproof, admonition etc.

makrothumia

2015/9/1 13:17Profile
proudpapa

Re:

RE: "but I have to say that the title is all wrong"

I think this was his main point : the title.

I have specifically ignored that specific book because I myself found the title to be distrubing.

RE: "I do not believe his intention was to try to help lost people "train their flesh."

It is not only lost people whom try to train their flesh, Christians get wrapped up into it also.
That was what Paul was combating in the book of Galatians.

2015/9/1 13:38Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

That you have avoided a book, that many other godly men whom you yourself esteem were themselves blessed by, is unfortunate. Thomas A Kempis shares many wonderful truths CHRIST IN HIM taught him.

Many godly men benefitted greatly from CHRIST in Thomas.

2015/9/1 13:48Profile

Re:

I certainly did not want to get off on critiquing the book and that is why I did not. I was only using the title as an example and had no idea people would confuse my post with critiquing the book. I did say that I found some good things in it, too.

Please, the content of my post will be lost, if you stumble over how I was trying to use the title. Just forget about it. If it was a bad example, fine. But, I know what I was trying to communicate and unfortunately, looks like my point is lost.

As I grew in the Lord through the years, I realized the title conveyed something different than what Gal 2:20 conveys.

2015/9/1 14:11

Re:

These verses do not communicate "imitation" to me.

2Cor 4:11 For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of JESUS MIGHT BE MADE MANIFEST IN OUR MORTAL FLESH.

John 6:57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: SO HE THAT EATETH ME, EVEN HE SHALL LIVE BY ME.

1Cor 6:17 But HE THAT IS JOINED UNTO THE LORD IS ONE SPIRIT.

2015/9/1 14:53

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy