SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Live / Walk in the Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Zech. 3:1 Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the Angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to oppose him. 2 And the LORD said to Satan, “The LORD rebuke you, Satan! The LORD who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?”

Joshua the high priest during the time of the return from the captivity from Babylon, was set free from the bondage of Satan's snare. Yes, who can stand against those who have victory in the promises of God. Our God is a mighty fortress.

Hosea 11-12:

3 “I taught Ephraim to walk,
Taking them by their arms;
But they did not know that I healed them.
4 I drew them with gentle cords,
With bands of love,
And I was to them as those who take the yoke from their neck.
I stooped and fed them.

7 My people are bent on backsliding from Me.
Though they call to the Most High,
None at all exalt Him.
8 “How can I give you up, Ephraim?
How can I hand you over, Israel?
How can I make you like Admah?
How can I set you like Zeboiim?
My heart churns within Me;
My sympathy is stirred.

6 So you, by the help of your God, return;
Observe mercy and justice,
And wait on your God continually.

Hos. 14:4 “I will heal their backsliding,
I will love them freely,
For My anger has turned away from him.

He will heal our propensity to backslide, to turn away, for He loves those whom He chasens. He grants repentance:

Rom. 2:4 Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/11 17:57Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

With bands of love,
I stooped and fed them.

How many do not know that God has healed them? How many live without knowing the Spirit's work in their lives? How many live according to the ways of the carnal mind?

How has the Spirit healed you? How has He taught you the things of Christ Jesus our Lord?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/12 11:04Profile
Heavenlyman

Australia

Re:

Hey Jeff

Just read your post.

Quote:
Six years ago I was present for the opening of a church

Very encouraging and enlightening. I am sure that many of us have many problems with pride and the associated sins. But to realise these weaknesses and submit in the way you have just related is the type of humility that i beleive Christ had in mind when he was telling us about the beatitudes from our brother Matthew.

God bless you in your continued sanctification to Christ.

Your Brother in Christ
Steven 8-)

2005/5/13 5:02Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Lisening to the Spirit within us, many times, is not welcomed by our flesh. Many will say it is the devil that is accusing a son of God. But I believe one must discern between the spirits. The flesh hates the things of the Holy Spirit when He speaks to our sinful ways. What I want to point out here is that we should be thankful when we recognize that the Holy Spirit is convicting us. I say this because it is the work of God bringing us unto repentance.

You see we ourselves, in our carnal mind, cannot know how to repent unless the Spirit of God shows us the way. Repentance is not of man but it is a gift of God. Unless the Holy Spirit shows us our heart as God see it, we remain in bondage to rational thought. We remain in bondage to the old man. Repentance is not only a time when we first prayed for God to save us. Repentance is a gift from God showing us the way to walk as our Savior walks. Repentance is God's way of healing us from turning away from Him.

Praise God for His gift. David prayed most earnestly.

Psa. 51:1 Have mercy upon me, O God,
According to Your lovingkindness;
According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,
Blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
And cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions,
And my sin is always before me.
4 Against You, You only, have I sinned,
And done this evil in Your sight—
That You may be found just when You speak,
And blameless when You judge.
5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me.
6 Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,
And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.
7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Make me hear joy and gladness,
That the bones You have broken may rejoice.
9 Hide Your face from my sins,
And blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me away from Your presence,
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners shall be converted to You.
14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
The God of my salvation,
And my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness.
15 O Lord, open my lips,
And my mouth shall show forth Your praise.
16 For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;
You do not delight in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,
A broken and a contrite heart—
These, O God, You will not despise.
18 Do good in Your good pleasure to Zion;
Build the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then You shall be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness,
With burnt offering and whole burnt offering;
Then they shall offer bulls on Your altar.

Do you hear the heart cries of David? Do you hear the Holy Spirit speaking to your heart?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/13 11:23Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

With bands of love,
I stooped and fed them.

How does God heal us from sin? How does God draw us out of bondage? For those who are not freed, whose fault is it? God's or man's. Listen to His desire for His creation.

Is. 55:1 “Ho! Everyone who thirsts,
Come to the waters;
And you who have no money,
Come, buy and eat.
Yes, come, buy wine and milk
Without money and without price.
2 Why do you spend money for what is not bread,
And your wages for what does not satisfy?
Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good,
And let your soul delight itself in abundance.
3 Incline your ear, and come to Me.
Hear, and your soul shall live;
And I will make an everlasting covenant with you—
The sure mercies of David.

If we choose not to hear, can we then be said to have faith?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/14 18:26Profile

Re: Live/ Walk in the Spirit re rookie

Hi Bro Jeff,

Quote:
Then the Holy Spirit impressed upon me that I was required to confess this thought during the prayer meeting that night. I began to rationalize that no one needs to know, what is past is past. Yet the Holy Spirit did not let up. I experienced a huge amount of guilt that evening. Well, during the prayer meeting I submitted to the conviction and direction that I received earlier. It was a time of sobbing and a time of washing that I will not forget. It was a time of breaking and humbling that has continued to teach me lessons even unto today.

You described this clearly, with the objectivity possible from a one-off event. I recognise the picture, and have been the one sobbing many times, but something about how you linked it up to a specific event, rather than a condition of [i]being[/i] is making me think. Thank you for sharing here. I'm sure that also took courage.

On healing, you are touching a subject close to my heart. I'm sure the Lord does do healing which we are not aware is happening, or even afterwards, we do not see we have become more whole and it is the LORD's doing.

And you are right that the Lord is calling to mankind with a word of healing / salvation. He is abundantly able to minister health to those who seek Him for it. I believe the church is weak because believers do not deal with their injuries honestly. Spiritual and emotional health, while it may be the matter of requests for prayer from time to time for and by individuals, is not taken seriously enough by those whose lives, albeit turned over to Christ now, have a deeper need for reassurance of God's interest in them (and ministry to their soul), to heal them of longstanding hurt, which they have learned to carry. And, which are too deep for the Lord to wrench out completely at the moment of salvation.

He knows how tenderly such parts of a person need to be sensitised to His healing presence and how to enable us to yeild up our pain. For me, this became an essential issue to face; there have been some landmark healings, but much of it has been process and being willing to let Him get close enough to minister, little by little, believing it is all adding up to a more whole human, with a valid testimony to a broken world. I have been bowled over by the impact of my experience in this aspect of salvation, on one other life, being able to encourage that God really IS able to heal the pain which drives to substance abuse and subsequent mental confusion. I believe I can generalise about God's willingness to heal, but the person in need has to be intent upon receiving it, to give God access to touch their spirit, mind and soul.

On David and Bathsheba, I was thinking (I dare not make a claim for this as revelation) that there is a parallel with the beginning of Romans 7. A Man who wished to be married to another, could not, because of her husband. The Man saw to it that the husband died, and then she was free to become His wife. Although the earthly man, David, went about things in the wrong order, it is remarkable that he won her heart despite what he had done, and God blessed their offspring by choosing him to sit on the throne of his father, as a king of peace. Interesting.

2005/5/15 10:46
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Sister dorcas wrote:

Quote:
He knows how tenderly such parts of a person need to be sensitised to His healing presence and how to enable us to yeild up our pain. For me, this became an essential issue to face; there have been some landmark healings, but much of it has been process and being willing to let Him get close enough to minister, little by little, believing it is all adding up to a more whole human, with a valid testimony to a broken world. I have been bowled over by the impact of my experience in this aspect of salvation, on one other life, being able to encourage that God really IS able to heal the pain which drives to substance abuse and subsequent mental confusion. I believe I can generalise about God's willingness to heal, but the person in need has to be intent upon receiving it, to give God access to touch their spirit, mind and soul.

I have seen brothers and sister struggle to rid themselves of one addiction or another. With all, I have seen the conviction that God is placing in them. It does not begin with man but it comes from God. That is the difference between living by the law and living in the Spirit. Some upon conversion are healed of alcohol or speed or whatever. It is given as a gift to them. It is given so that they might know that God exists and that He loves them.

Others also converted continue to struggle, some for years. I know one individual who smoked for twenty years. During that time he was hot and cold with the Lord. Then about six months ago God became a fire within him. I remember how he told me that he was convicted everytime he witnessed Christ to someone. He tried stopping because of the conviction yet he failed. Then one day, at a retreat God healed him. The next time he tried to smoke he got sick. Now he witnesses the work that God did in his life with those he finds smoking.

I know of another who has tried quiting for the 5 years that I have known him. Yet, he was unable. Then he contracted bronchitis and saw a doctor. The doctor noticed nodules on his lungs. This scared my brother so much that he quit that day. I believe God was in control of that brother also.

I myself will share of a sin shortly that was stopped by the fear of a situation I found myself in. Over time I had been convicted by the Holy Spirit. I knew I was wrong, but for awhile, I tried not to hear. I tried to be deaf to what the Spirit was convicting me of. I was living in rebellion. Yet there came a time when God put an end to that rebellion.

Each brother or sister in Christ is different from one another. It is only the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit who knows how to deliver us. As we experience this continual work in our lives, both that which we recognize and that which we do not, it is only because of His love do we begin to understand why the "good news" is soooo Good! We can truly begin to recognize how God saves us. This has been my prayer since I believed. I began to struggle with the precepts of faith and grace. It seemed no one around me understood. No one struggled with these precepts. So I asked God that He would show me how he saves me.

Again, it was not I who wanted to know, but it was Him who wanted me to know.

I hope this make some kind of sense.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/16 17:00Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Here is another example of the Holy Spirit's conviction of a particular sin that existed once in my life.

What I am about to share is embarrasing, but all sin should be embarrasing once you have come into a relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Again another humbling experience brougth about by my Savior as a testimony of His grace extended to me.

Masturbation was something that I had practiced since I was a teenager. It was something that I did to satisfy my flesh. Then at the age of 40 I committed by life to Christ. About 5 years into my walk the Holy Spirit would begin to convict me during this practice. I remember asking the Lord is it a sin? Again the conviction came down upon me. Yet, I continued. Everytime I was seeking to satisfy my flesh, the Spirit was there. I would justify my actions as a harmless activity. I would say, just a little sin, it isn't hurting anyone else. Surely, Lord, I can keep this can't I?

I tried being hard of hearing. I tried tuning Him out. Well this continued for a time until I went for an annual medical checkup. Everything was normal except that my PSA test came back with a value of 8. A PSA test is used as an indicator for prostrate cancer. A value of 8 is considered high. When the doctor told me of these results, the Holy Spirit brought to my attention the nature of my rebellion. The Spirit linked my sin with this event. I meditated on this significant event for the next week. And this is what I learned.

God is holy and I am called to be holy as He teaches me. God will not allow you to keep doing a sin that He has commanded you to stop. He expects me to obey, period!

I made an oath to Him that week that I would stop. I learned alittle about the fear of the Lord that week.

This verse comes to mind:

Heb. 12:28 Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. 29 For our God is a consuming fire.

Well I went back for another test and this time my PSA count was less than 2. Shortly there after, again the Spirit called me to testify of this event in my life. Again I was humbled because of what the Spirit commanded. I shared with the men's group of our church. This also became a time of renewing and refreshing. When the men heard my testimony, they all began to be more transparent with their own struggles, their own sins. Humility began to take root amonsgt the fellowship. Sin is an ugly thing. It reveals our nakedness before the Lord. He wants to clothe us with the robe of righteousness. How can we be filled with His Holy Spirit if we continue in sin?

Finally, I have not commited that sin again. There are times when I am tempted but I call on the name of my Lord to deliver me from that temptation. He is faithful.

Listen to the Spirit, has He been convicting you? Call on the name of the Lord and He will provide a way out.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/17 11:21Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

So far I have shared events which speak of healing my backsliding nature. I spoke of times where God convicted me of sin. I have learned that God works to sanctify us who obey the leading of His Spirit.

What about the good works that He has prepared for us? This is another area of our lives where God seeks to teach us to love others. How has the Spirit led you? Have you experienced times where God has prepared a good work and you find yourself a small part of that work?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/18 13:23Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

What should we experience when we follow the Spirit?

David Wilkerson

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4424

We should see Christ shouldn't we?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/20 12:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy