SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Live / Walk in the Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Re:

What do we really mean when we call Jesus our Lord? Is He our Lord?

The demons know Jesus as Christ, and even submit to Him through fear, yet He is not their Lord.

[b]If[/b] we continue in faith, how does this relate to walking in the Spirit?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/10 16:43Profile

Re:

Quote:
The demons know Jesus as Christ, and even submit to Him through fear, yet He is not their Lord.

The past tense in these scriptures may put this thought in context. Our warfare has been accomplished. 'Condemnation' is a figment of the imagination - accusations that our sin has not been dealt with already. As we 'walk in the Spirit' we will be able to reject condemnation our old minds might suspect is valid. Faith links us conclusively to the fact of the finished work of Christ.

Philippians 2:9
Wherefore God also hath highly exalt[b]ed[/b] him, and giv[b]en[/b] him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and in earth, and under the earth; 11 And every tongue should confess Jesus Christ [b]Lord[/b], to the glory of God the Father. (now and future)

Ephesians 4:8
Therefore He says: "When He ascended on high, [b]He led captivity captive[/b], And gave gifts to men." 9 (Now this, "He ascended" -- what does it mean but that He also first descend[b]ed[/b] into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is also the One who ascend[b]ed[/b] far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.) (now and future)

2005/5/10 18:59
dohzman

Re:

I don't think I agree with submit as you guys use the word or even as websters defines its. Jesus himself said that noone can spoil a house unless he first binds the strongman. In the area of the demonic its war! In the area of condemnation in the mind? I think at times its real and not imaginary (maybe a greater need for the renewing of the mind) sometimes within and sometimes without, much like what happened to ole' king David in 2 Sam 2:16. We always have an accusser of the brethren and the demons can see when we'er not right, when we'er not hid in Christ. The victory is our faith with hope as our anchor during such times.

2005/5/10 19:35Profile

Re: Live / Walk in the Spirit re dohzman

dohzman,

I accept all your points and maybe you are better balanced than I in expressing it your way.

Only way I could move on to dealing with 'guilt' which comes from either empty accusation or founded on some whole- or half-truth from my past, was to remember that I am 'in Christ' through the Spirit; I am already perfected (completed) to the Father's satisfaction (spiritually) and what's going on now, is it being made good in my experience - changes to how I think, how I feel, how I deal with my 'body'.

The surest way not to keep moving forward, is to hear the accuser and think 'he's got a point'. All our meditations on things we need to change, even if it is the accuser who has first made us look at an issue, need to be taken straight into the presence of the Lord. Not to say they disappear there, but [i]only[/i] there, can they be healed or put into His perspective.

2005/5/11 8:36
rookie

Re:

The Holy Spirit also convicts. The Holy Spirit strives with the spirit of man. How else should we know the direction we are to walk. Throughout the Scriptures, we hear of walking along a path. The idea of faith and the idea of walking along the path that He has shown us is of the same precept. Listen to what God told Joshua.

Josh. 1:1 After the death of Moses the servant of the LORD, it came to pass that the LORD spoke to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ assistant, saying: 2 “Moses My servant is dead. Now therefore, arise, go over this Jordan, you and all this people, to the land which I am giving to them—the children of Israel. 3 Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given you, as I said to Moses.

When God said to Joshua, "Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given you..." this is an oath that God gives to him. Now if you continue to read, God continues to give Josuah directions in the path that he does go. When Joshua makes mistakes, God comes and tells him of the error. ie, Joshua did not look to God for instructions, but he listened to men concerning the conquest of the city of Ai. Also, Joshua was fooled by the Gibeonites.

There are consequenses that come into our lives due to disobedience. There are consequenses that come into our lives because of unbelief. The Holy Spirit will strive against the spirit of man in order that he turn toward and not away from Him. God disciplines those whom He loves. Do not always assume that Satan is the one who accusses you.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/11 10:40Profile
rookie

Re:

The idea I was trying to bring to light in what does it mean that Jesus is Lord of our life, speaks to the meaning of the word Lord. How do we know Christ? Do our thoughts of Him only draw a picture of Savior, or is there more than this? Do we only know Him by the doctrines that men memorize or do we know Him beyond the words that we regurgitate?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/11 10:46Profile

Re: Live / Walk in the Spirit

Hi rookie,

I would put doctrine [i]after[/i] knowledge of the scripture, for pointers to how to be enlarged by one's knowledge of what the Father expected of the Son, Jesus Christ, the Lord.

You asked

Quote:
what does it mean that Jesus is Lord of our life?

I think you should receive a good many different answers to this, depending on which part of a life was most in need of being disciplined. Of course, the Holy Spirit brings self-discipline but, God does not bring to our attention everything He is working on. When He makes something an issue, that's the time to deal with it. Otherwise, one can be running around trying to fulfil another man's agenda of what God requires of Him. It is a matter of 'follow thou me' (as Jesus said to Peter).

Looking at the question from a different angle, we can bring whatever we wish to Him and ask His guidance. This implies we are willing to be guided. Doesn't the tussle come when we bring something to the Lord and hear His guidance but, we wish He would have asked us to do something different - not [i]that![/i] Our next move will tell us whether He is our Lord in fact, or word only.

RobertW said
Quote:
Remember the New Testament passage: submit yourselves therefor unto God, resist the devil and he will flee from you? The KEY to this passage is submission to God. We think (and I have felt this also) that we need to resist "the flesh" or "Sin" or "the world" and that is it. Yet, the first thing we must do is fully submit to God. That is the hardest thing of all as we don't like to yield everything up to Him too easily. When we submit everything to Him the Holy Spirit will come in in fulness and empower us to live holy. We can't help but live holy when we are full of the Spirit. All our appetites are in subjection to God. Nothing is running rampant and wild. This is why the enemy 'flees.' The old timey preacher used to say- when the devil comes knocking send Christ to the door. I think there is some truth there.

I don't agree that by not walking in the Spirit, a person will automatically be fulfilling [i]all[/i] the lusts of the flesh as listed in Galatians 5. Rather, it works the other way, in that the lusts of the flesh, which are an expression of the mind of the flesh, cannot be fulfilled while we are walking in the Spirit.

2005/5/11 13:09
rookie

Re:

Br. dorcas wrote:

Quote:
I think you should receive a good many different answers to this, depending on which part of a life was most in need of being disciplined. Of course, the Holy Spirit brings self-discipline but, God does not bring to our attention everything He is working on. When He makes something an issue, that's the time to deal with it.

I hear your words and they are true. Our relationship with our Lord is unique to each individual, because the darkeness that exists in each man differs. Thus it is only by the wisdom of our Lord that we can know His righteousness.

Amen Brother.

You also wrote:

Quote:
Otherwise, one can be running around trying to fulfil another man's agenda of what God requires of Him. It is a matter of 'follow thou me' (as Jesus said to Peter).

Again I hear your words. They speak of the difference of living by the Spirit and realizing the freedom that the New Covenant brings. Those who have not understood why and where this freedom come from often fall into legalism and remain under the bondage of other men.

Amen again.

Finally you wrote:

Quote:
I don't agree that by not walking in the Spirit, a person will automatically be fulfilling all the lusts of the flesh as listed in Galatians 5. Rather, it works the other way, in that the lusts of the flesh, which are an expression of the mind of the flesh, cannot be fulfilled while we are walking in the Spirit.

This brings this Scripture to mind, Matthew 5:

6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, [b]for they shall be filled."[/b]

Again Amen.

A man who is like a tree planted by the water will know that the goodness of God far exceeds anything he ever knew of before. It is the goodness of God that become the strength and joy of the believer. The discipline brings repentance, the goodness brings us to hope in Him.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/11 15:07Profile
rookie

Re:

Br dorcas brought to light a significant thought. When I asked what does the word Lord mean to you, he stated that everyone should have in a sense their own testimony. I would like to give you one example of how the Lord disciplined me about three years ago.

Six years ago I was present for the opening of a church plant in our area. It soon qualified as a Calvary Chapel affiliate. During this time the Lord had begun to stir in me the calling into ministry. My pastor, then 29 years old, plugged me into varios ministries. I soon was given the responsibility of leading a men's fellowship group in our small congregation. I also began to seek out ministry training at a branch campus of Calvary Chapel Bible college.

I met many people during this time. I began to strive for position in the church. I also recognized that others that I met along the way in the various churches, strived also for position in the church. It was a good thing to land a paying job in an established ministry. Looking back now, I can see the uglyness of my sin. But the Lord is faithful to work out the clay as He saw fit.

You might remember recently that I posted a thread a "fireman and Christ." My brother Bob was a man who had walked with the Lord for a long time. He was much closer to the Lord because his nature was more like Christ. Well, back about 3 years ago, Brother Bob walked into our church and soon rose in the congregation because of what the Lord had worked in him. One day my pastor came to me and told me that Brother Bob was going to take over the men's fellowship ministry. That news hurt my flesh really bad. I was consumed by this event for days, but I submitted without much outward signs. Remember what Jesus said to the Pharisees, "you are like white washed tombs on the outside, but you are full of dead men's bones on the inside." This Scripture speaks well of what was going on inside of me.

About two or three months passed, and the Holy Spirit convicted me one day before a prayer meeting. The Holy Spirit brought a thought to my mind that I had thought soon after I was relieved of the men's fellowship ministry. This is the thought that was brought to my mind that day. "It's okay, Brother Bob can have the men's fellowship for now, he will die of Lou Gerihgs desease someday, and then I will again head the men's ministry." Then the Holy Spirit impressed upon me that I was required to confess this thought during the prayer meeting that night. I began to rationalize that no one needs to know, what is past is past. Yet the Holy Spirit did not let up. I experienced a huge amount of guilt that evening. Well, during the prayer meeting I submitted to the conviction and direction that I received earlier. It was a time of sobbing and a time of washing that I will not forget. It was a time of breaking and humbling that has continued to teach me lessons even unto today.

This is one testimony of what my Lord has worked in me. I have learned alot about what it means to strive for position in His church and the ugliness of that sin as He sees it.

He is faithful to continue the work that He has begun in me.
Submitting to Him when He speaks is the key that opens the door to Him.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/11 15:42Profile
dohzman

Re:

Hi Jeff---your mention Of joshua took my mind to Zechriah 3:1 and following along with Pauls exclaimation in Roms who shall bring anything against .....ect Romans 8. Just wanted to add that :-P Bro. daryl

2005/5/11 15:42Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy