SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is God's word more than the bible?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Is God's word more than the bible?

It was something I read a while back that Tozer wrote on these lines, that God's word is far more than just what we have in the bible.

I was thinking about this again recently in light of the KJV discussion. It seems to me that Tozer is correct and was trying to get folk to think outside of their 'religious' strait jackets. His point was that if God is infinite, so is His word, so how could it be limited to just the word we have recorded in the bible?

Scriptures that would be relevant to this would be the following:

John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word".
Jesus is the THE WORD of God and existing before any written account or bible.

John 21:25 "And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written".
So much was done by Jesus in His incarnation that no amount of books could contain it. I would suggest that would include His words.

Luke 24:27 "And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, He expounded to them in all the scriptures the things concerning Himself"
This record of Jesus speaking to the disciples on the road to Emmaus does not record what He actually said. It must have been a very exhaustive study! I would have loved to have been there!

So I am not suggesting that there is anything that would contradicts the word of God as recorded in the bible, but that there is much more to God's word than we have in the bible. We don't have access to this yet, but one day we will.

Thoughts?..........

2015/7/29 6:15Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Is God's word more than the bible?

I agree 100%. The Emnaus story is defintely a top 3 favorite of mine.

Where it gets a tad sticky is that some people, generally strongly non-charismatic, will say that the Bible contains all we need to know or are supposed to know. That is the issue that is debatable.

2015/7/29 10:54Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

We bear in mind that the Word is a Person. He cannot be contained in human vessels. Our words are tools of human vessels. His Word is Himself and not merely a tool.

His revealed Word is the complete and sufficient revelation of Himself. His Spirit however continues the teaching ministry of Jesus. He does not merely remind us of truth, but He is the Truth Alive. And while His revealed truth in the written word is never contradicted nor supplemented by any authority as He placed in that word, He also far surpasses the words on paper. It is this Person of Truth, the still living Word, ministered to us in the Holy Spirit moment by moment, who shows/leads/guides us "into all truth".

Carter Conlon had a nice sermon on this at the end of June about knowing and finding the will of God. Not along these exact lines but really really worth hearing.

2015/7/29 11:12Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Todd, I would tend to agree that the bible is all we need to know about God, but not all there is to know.
“The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever," (Deut 29:29).

Tim, Very eloquently put! Re- Carter Conlon, funny I very nearly listened to that message last night. Maybe tonight I will!

2015/7/29 11:20Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: Is God's word more than the bible?

Brother Dave,
This that you point to here is, I believe, the actual crux of the matter. As brother Tozer states there is so much more to it than what is written, for not everything can or could be written as the scriptures themselves declare.
Interestingly it's the revealed/spoken/rhema word that Jesus says upon which His church will be built and not the written/scripture/logos alone as when He declares to Peter this fact and then in John...
5:37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.
38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Also this is why I brought up the Luke 4:4/Matthew 4:4 point in the KJV thread as this is crucial to a life in the spirit in that it is an imperative that we receive it directly from Him and therefore know Him and be known by Him.

While I'm not a KJV only and have at present 27 different translations, it is my "go to" and my initial point of reference. Not because it's beyond criticism but because i find it the most consistent in the areas where my studies require propriety. While I consult the others and have gleaned and been edified by them all at one time or another, all of them including the KJV would be of little use in the end if I had not met the Author and abide in His word as He reveals it to me.
As I see it, it's when the revealed word (rhema) and the written word (logos) finds completion in their correlation within our hearts that we begin to truly partake of that which is born of Heaven. For prior to this we are like a bird with one wing,... going round in circles and never really getting off the ground, but when both are functioning and complementary then we can fly and soar with the Eagles.
Also in line with this recently I felt like the Lord spoke this to me,...
"The Father gives-
The Son receives-
The Spirit expresses~"
Always and forever this way does the Godhead function was my takeaway impression.
So this got me to thinkin, "if I abide in Him, then He will abide in me and the Father will make His home with us"
So if I "give myself to Christ" then He will "give Himself to me" and then He will live in me and receive the things of the Father in me( on my behalf) and His Spirit will then, because of the life of Christ being manifest in me by His own power, land or light upon me and express Himself in, to and thru me as long as I abide in Him, however if I chose to leave Him and return to the world in my affections and subsequently in actions, His spirit will be grieved and will depart from me until which time I repent and return to Christ.
This is where (for me) the marriage of the rhema and the logos is an imperative as I cannot find Him and abide in Him without both.
It's like grace and truth, when we only have one we tend to get lopsided and fall over...
I believe this is why the word of God is described as a "two edged sword"
and as far as I can see my reformed brothers are heavy in the logos whereas my charismatic brothers are heavy in the rhema,... If only these two would just quit fighting and get re-married the church would be full of power and purity and would turn the world upside down again and set it on fire as she did in the first century.

2015/7/29 11:22Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Fletcher, I like what you wrote! There is a lot to chew on here and it sits well with me. I'm glad I started this post just to get what you have written. :)

2015/7/29 11:45Profile
proudpapa

removed post
Posted from wrong heart, posted to give impression I am more Spirtual than I am.

2015/7/29 17:25Profile
Sree

Re:

Great thread. This is always a beautiful answer to KJV only believers. I do not take part in such discussions anyway. KJV only and Pre or Post tribulation, will not include my indulgence. Every Bible says the same, take up the cross. If there is a Bible that tells anything different from it then let us ignore it. Either Pre or Post trib, Bible says we have to be ready for his coming because He is coming QUICKLY. So such discussions to me do not add to Godliness.

Jesus said in Luke 4 that Man does not live by Bread alone but every word that PROCEEDS from the mouth of God. So God still speaks. The word is still proceeding from his mouth. Jesus did not refer to the written word alone, but the spirit behind the written word that can speak to us.

There are 7 spirits of God, and each word of God in Bible has 7 spirits behind it. We might have known the word in only one spirit, but if we meditate on each word then God will reveal the rest of the spirits. I have seen this happen in our Bible Studies. Suddenly from no where a brother will give a totally different meaning to a word.

For example it once happened in a Church, we all know John 3:16 thoroughly. There was a study on John 3, and a new believer got up and shared, 'God loved the world so much, his world is so big and it includes entire creations, but my world includes my family, friends, Church and colleagues. Am I showing my love to them by giving God's Son Jesus to them?'

This a totally different spirit to the word. This is a revelation from a very simple word that we heard and share so much.

2015/7/30 0:53Profile

Re:

HeyDave,

You might like this:

http://www.lighthouselibrary.com/searchdb.php?p=16&&what=title&searchfor=^F&type=

Select "Freedom from Biblicism"

2015/7/30 1:14
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

PP, I was going to respond to your post as I thought you made some good points. However I see you removed it and although I don't know why, I respect your heart motive. I always appreciate your honest and sincere heart on here, even if sometimes I can come across a bit harsh, for which I apologise. It is not personal, just my zeal sometimes getting ahead of me.

Julius, Yes good article. Thanks for the link. I particular like this statement he made "We must stop using the Bible as though it were a potpourri of inerrant proof-texts by which we can bring people into bondage to our religious traditions."

2015/7/30 4:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy