Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Argos

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Argos

KJV
Matthew 12:
35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

"That EVERY idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgement"

Wow!
Every idle word...

Idle=Argos
Strong's Concordance
argos: inactive, idle
Original Word: ἀργός, ή, όν
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: argos
Phonetic Spelling: (ar-gos')
Short Definition: idle, lazy, thoughtless
Definition: idle, lazy, thoughtless, unprofitable, injurious.

Strong' Exhaustive Concordance
From a (as a negative particle) and ergon; inactive, i.e. Unemployed; (by implication) lazy, useless -- barren, idle, slow.

"Unemployed" is an interesting definition in light of the above passage of scripture,...especially considering our Savior makes quite a strong statement of justification and/or condemnation regarding these "unemployed" words.
In light of the other passages of scripture that parallel this one; 1 Peter 4:11 " if any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God" as well as others...
What does this mean for us who claim His name?
What are the applications as well as implications regarding this for those who fear the Lord?
Is this saying the words a believer speaks that aren't "employed" of him by God are to be accounted for in the day of Judgement?

Realizing I talk way too much, and often carelessly so.

2015/7/14 22:50Profile

Re: Argos

Beloved, i must say these passages on the use of our words is most sobering, how often we fail, it is not a matter of not speaking wrongly, but to ensure ur words edify, as a rule i tell myself that any word that don't edify defies (eph.4:29). The only way this can be possible is by being full of the holy Ghost at all time (eph. 5:18-19).
Recently i felt i've lost touch with God, my heart was less burden for the things of God, as i search to know what's the cause, there was no obvious sin, but that i've been spending much time on facebook and reading online news must of which are "idle talk" not bad in itself, but it's also not an oracle from the lord. And i know how many times my spirit has been defied when i talk carelessly. God help us.

2015/7/15 16:22
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Thank you brother for your response and honesty. Indeed it is a sobering passage,... While attempting to post a rebuttal on another thread recently the Lord stayed my hand on three separate occasions.... one, after typing it out, simply disappeared when I went to post and when I asked the Lord why? He directed me to this passage... I was grieved by my attempts and at the same time grateful for His mercy! Tho it did cut deeply the vanity of my own heart so after considering this passage I thought to ask for help here on SI.
I too have found that most media can become a distraction and numb me to the tender convictions of the Holy Spirit and so chose to just abstain completely from most.
Also I see that you are in Nigeria:) we have recently had some of your countrymen to join our fellowship here in Alabama and I can say with certainty we are the beneficiaries from their presence for they are each a most lovely saint full and abounding in the fruit of the Spirit.
Blessings to you dear brother~

2015/7/15 18:32Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy