SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Holy Spirit-The Comforter In Us

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DRS

The Holy Spirit-The Comforter In Us

"In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)" (John 7:37-39)
'And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." (John 14;16-18)
"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."(John 14:26)
"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me" (John 15:26)
"I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you." (John 16:12-14)
For months before this Jesus had been speaking of His death and resurrection,but the disciples wouldn't and it seemed they couldn't understand,but He seemed to be gradually bringing them to the understanding that it was His purpose in coming to earth in a human body,to go to the cross and die,being the perfect sacrifice for sin and shedding His blood and then being raised from the dead after the 3rd day and then return to Heaven.
Now just day's before His crucifixion,Jesus begins to speak of another Comforter,the Holy Spirit,that He would come and indwell them.John had mentioned this back in (John 7:39),when he 60 years later when he was writing this account,looks back at what Jesus had said about "rivers of living waters"and explains that Jesus was speaking of the Holy Spirit that had not been given at that time because Jesus had not been glorified.
Jesus was looking ahead to after His death and resurrection and ascension back to Heaven and then the Spirit would come and indwell the believers.This happened at Pentecost,50 days after the resurrection.Now when we by faith believe that Jesus died for our sins and was resurrected after the 3rd day according to the Scriptures,then we are saved and indwelt of the Holy Spirit.Our salvation was prophesied.Jesus was fulfilling all the 1000's of blood sacrifices of lambs,goats,cattle,pigeons,and doves that all pointed to the Lamb of God that would take away the sin of the world.
Jesus was explaining to the disciples what all the Spirit would do when He came and indwelt them.This was a comfort for them in the days to come and a comfort for us as we can go back and read these verses and see that the Spirit did just what Jesus said He would do.
"He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."
He did just that and we have the 4 accounts of it in Matthew,Mark,Luke and John.John even writes his account some 60 years later and him in his 90's.
"I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come."
He did just that with the rest of the New Testament He guided them into all truth and revealed to them things to come.
Yes we find out later after the Holy Spirit comes and Israel has rejected their Kingdom and it is postponed that something new had come on the scene out of this rejection,the Church of Jesus Christ,a mystery hidden in God,a complete new body of believers,made up of Jews and Gentiles indwelt of the Holy Spirit and partaking of the salvation prophesied in the Scriptures.To this new body of believers the apostle Paul was given the understanding to explain what it is and what purpose God has for it now and what He plans to do with it future.
And now through this body of believers the Holy Spirit is testifying of Jesus and Glorifying Him,just like Jesus said He would.We find out the work of the Spirit in us and out through us as He manifests the Son of God in our lives and produces His fruit.
"Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."
"Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God." (Romans 8:26,27)
"Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead,that we should bring forth fruit unto God."(Romans7:4)
That we should bring forth fruit unto God.That is our sanctification,our Christian walk.Jesus said
"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."(John 15:5)
We have found out that we were placed in Christ and was crucified with Him and raised up with Him and now He indwells us and He even tells us what the fruit is that He will bear in.
(Galatians 5:22,23),the Fruit of the Spirit, and He even list's them LOVE,JOY,PEACE,LONGSUFFERING,GENTLENESS,GOODNESS,FAITH,MEEKNESS,TEMPERANCE and there is no law against them.
And He will raise our bodies if we die,or change our bodies if we are alive,when Jesus comes back for His Church.
"Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body."(Romans 8:23)
PERHAPS TODAY

2015/7/8 8:40Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy