SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Head Coverings For Women In The Church?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I have experienced the Holy Spirit move mightily among
entire congegrations and assemblies and ourselves when not a single woman in the place could be seen wearing a head covering. How does that work?

Sister,

Yes, I believe no one is saying God cannot work in churches that do not practice this at all. This thread is simply open for honest discussion and questions for people who are more positive towards searching this truth out.

The discussion forum is open to starting many discussions and for people to express their views. but this thread was started with a specific purpose to be more positive and encourage honest questions.

We just want it to be an open environment for saints to explore this truth for their personal lives and in church practice. We do not mean to offend those who do not feel led to practice this.

2015/7/11 12:22Profile
dspks

Dakotas

Thanks Greg,

Not offended... was just confused... thanks for the clarification!

2015/7/11 12:29Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Head Coverings For Women In The Church?

Does it hurt to obey this little command? Why not just observe it in the most plain and simply way?

The churches used to obey this command for centuries and few objected. It was the done thing.

You will never understand this passage when you reserve your right to refuse to follow it.

Blessed are those who do so just because they want to please their Master in everything and trust that it is good and right so.

Head covering is about acknowledging headship.Father-Son-Man-wife. Satan's rebellion was against the headship of the Son. Surely he wants to draw us into confusion about headship and engaged Eve in a discussion about the forbidden fruit. For this very reason it says in verse 10
"the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels."

2015/7/11 16:50Profile

Re:

Quote:
What do you make of this verse? - "For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels." (1 Cor 11:10)

I won't pretend to know what that means and don't think anyone knows. I have never been satisfied by any explanation that I have heard.

God gave a woman her hair for a covering. Her head is covered by her hair.

1Co 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

Paul said, for that reason a man shouldn't have long hair because that's covering his head.
1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

If a man's long hair is covering his head (as the scriptures say), then a woman's long hair is covering her head.

So, it is just what Paul said it was. It (her hair) is a cover. So, a woman who has long hair when she prays or prophesies does not need an additional covering on her head. Now, if she is uncomfortable and doesn't think her hair is long enough and wants to wear a covering, then that's fine. But, I wouldn't tie women to a legalistic tradition just because some other writers favor it.

I really don't see what is so difficult about this passage of scripture except of course that bit about the angels.

2015/7/11 18:50
proudpapa

Re:

Quote:
I really don't see what is so difficult about this passage of scripture except of course that bit about the angels.

Could the "angels" be referring to the messengers above the woman, those heads spoken of in verse 3. ?

2015/7/11 20:45Profile

Re:

Quote:
by proudpapa on 2015/7/11 20:45:31

Quote:

Could the "angels" be referring to the messengers above the woman, those heads spoken of in verse 3. ?

Sure.

2015/7/11 22:05
proudpapa

Re:

Quote:
Sure.

It is the only thing I can see that fits.
because of the context that the connecting words demand : "For this cause" connects the end of verse 7 thru verse 9 to the subject matter being spoken of in verse 10
the first word of verse 11 is another connecting word : "Nevertheless" that means the thought in verse 10 is connected to what is fixing to be said and that thought that continues through verse 12.

The preconcieved assumption that "angels" is referring to angelic beings does not seem to fit the context.
But the Bible defines the word "angels" sometimes not as angelic beings but also as "messengers" and that does seem to fit the context.

2015/7/11 22:35Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Question: I am aware of the I Corinthians chapter 11 passage about coverings. Are there any other New Testament passages that are used by those who partake of this particular practice?

The reason that I ask is that there are many groups and sects that use a single passage as a mandatory doctrinal truth. Mormons made a doctrine of "baptism for the dead" because of a passage in I Corinthians chapter 15. Other sects and denominations do the same.

Scripture conveys the notion of the testimony of "two or three witnesses" (Deuteronomy 17:6; II Corinthians 13:1) establishing/confirming a matter. When I read the apostles gathering or "council" in Jerusalem after listening to Paul's work with the Gentiles, it makes me wonder if such matters fall under grace (Acts 15:6-11).

Regardless, I haven't found any secondary or supporting passage from the New Testament that might serve to clarify or reinforce this particular practice.

2015/7/12 3:42Profile
staff

Re:

hi
by saying this is not a hobby horse does not take away from the fact that it is a hobby horse.ive seen your posts before on the subject and although well meaning do not advance revival or the kingdom.
we are missing authority in the church today but this isnt it,urs staff

2015/7/12 6:23Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Head Coverings For Women In The Church?

Bro Derek Prince set the bar HIGH for me. I have listened to many of his sermons and one day a small blurb in one where he said that he believed in head coverings.

BUT get this, he wouldn't teach on head coverings because it was not clear in the Bible. Imagine that, one of best Bible teachers (in my time or all time) and he said it wasn't clear in the Bible.

Now, what he did state was that it was a personal matter whether to where head coverings or not. And that was it!

Out of the 1,00,000's of hours Derek Prince spent in the Bible for the 1000's of sermons he taught, he concluded that head coverings WAS NOT A COMMANDMENT but a personal matter.

I'm going with a man of God who was honest enough to say it was not a clear teaching and not letting the rest of you still my peace on the matter!

God bless,
Lisa

2015/7/12 8:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy